Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Directv Extra Innings and the Reds...

Directv Extra Innings and the Reds...

I just recently got Directv and had a quick question. I have the sports pack and my home fox sports channel is Fox Sports Cincinnati. When researching satelitte tv I think I read somewhere on a thread about people with the dish getting blacked out. I live in Louisville so just checking if I will still get to watch all the Reds games this year. Thanks

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Directv and the Reds...

Ok thank you

I've had EI for several years, and would highly recommend it. I love that package, I dropped Dish last year, and switched to DTV just to get it.

Extra Innings Package, Should I do it?

As a huge reds fan that lives in pennsylvania I never get to see the reds play except for the series against the pirates. Im thinking about paying the $179 to get the extra innings package im hoping some of you guys who have it can tell me if its worth the money. Do you get to see pretty much every game? I do work alot and probably wont be able to watch more than 2 or 3 games a week but since I dont get to watch any now it still might be worth it to me. If you have had any problems or complaints with extra innings please let me know, I dont want to spend the money then regert it.

Re: Extra Innings Package, Should I do it?

I don't know anything about the package, but I can tell you this, I bought the NFL sunday ticket package last year. And as a Browns fan, getting to see every game, in my home, on my 50" TV, that my friend is PRICELESS. So, If you really love watching the Reds, then its a great deal!

If I were you, I'd do it. I got one year (which was stupid because I get every Reds game on FSN). If I lived outside of the Reds viewing area I defiently do it.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

I live in the Ann Arbor area and have subscribed to EI for the past five years. Unfortunately, due to blackout regulations, subscribing to the Fox Sports Pack is not enough because if the Reds are scheduled to be on EI, FSN Cin/OH will be blacked out for out-of-market viewers like me. I guess the way around it is to tell DirecTV that I have "moved" and change my zip to 45243. Then I would get FSN OH and CIN at no extra charge and wouldn't have to subscribe to EI. Come to think of it, why haven't I done this already.....?
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

Yes, you do pretty much get every game. I had it two years, and I live in the Reds television market, so like the previous poster, it wasn't worth my money. (I forgot to call and cancel it before the second year) With the amount of Reds games that are on tv combined with the amount of National games, I rarely found myself turning it on... If I couldn't see the Reds games where I live, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

The only downside is they pick and choose which version of the broadcast you are going to get, so you will spend a lot of time watching the Reds with the opposition's announce team.

Edited to add: I'm not sure if they still do this, but I forgot, they used to not show any Extra Innings games on Wednesdays or Saturdays due to the Major League Baseball Television contracts with Fox and ESPN. They had exclusive rights to show the games on those days.
    Last edited by jmble; 03-12-2008 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmble View Post

The only downside is they pick and choose which version of the broadcast you are going to get, so you will spend a lot of time watching the Reds with the opposition's announce team.
    With George Grand in the booth, I can't seem to figure out how thats a bad thing...

I had it last year and saw almost every game.I even enjoyed the other teams announcers as a change.Definately worth it and I will have it again this year.

part of BBN

Yes !
    Living where you do, if it was me I would have to get it.
    Plus, let me add this. If you love baseball in general then this pack is well worth the money.
    I have purchased this pack the last two years and I get fsn ohio anyway so I get it to watch baseball when the reds arent on.
    Late night, there will almost always be a game on in one of the leagues on the west coast.
    When the reds game goes off, you can catch the last few innings of other early games.
    When the reds are off, still lots of games to choose from.
    Seeing where you live, it would be worth it to me to see the reds. As I said , you would also get the bonus of almost all the other games that are played. I havent been dissappointed ! ( though I do wish that it was alitte cheaper )
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by jmac; 03-12-2008 at 05:41 PM.

Yes, It is a great deal. I also got Tivo and I highly recomend getting that. I only miss a handful of games all season.

Yes, definitely do it. I would dare say that they showed 90% of the Reds games last year on DirecTV's MLB Extra Innings. I first got it about 5 years ago here in NC on cable and when the season started the games were blacked out. After calling around to Time Warner and eventually the Reds I found that where I live in central NC the Braves, Orioles, and Reds are blacked out. I couldn't believe it. Someone with the Reds told me to try it through DirecTV because they do their blackout zones a little differently than cable. I switched to the dish and have had no regrets. I can get all the teams on MLB Extra Innings except the Braves and Orioles, I get their games on their local stations.

Another plus is that the cost comes down, $20 I think, if you keep getting it after the first season.

If you're like me, and you actually prefer listening to games on the radio over watching them on TV (especially in the George Grande era), getting XM Radio or MLB Gameday Audio even ($14.95) is much, much more affordable. I have both and they are money well spent (even though I might drop XM and just go with Gameday Audio).

638-1 is the HD feed of Fox Cincinnati that's active whenever there's an HD event showing. If Fox Cincinnati produces a game in HD, it will be available on 638-1. All the standard definition games will be on 638. Right now, if there is no HD event taking place, the "-1" channels will be blank.

Turn Off Ads?