Turn Off Ads?

Thread: '08 ST All Eye Popper Team

'08 ST All Eye Popper Team

Didn't see this anywhere. Has to be read to be appreciated.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring...t&lid=tab3pos1

Here's excerpts about our 2 on the list & our 1 former.

Cueto, others turning heads with eye-popping springs
    By Jayson Stark
    ESPN.com
    (Archive)
    Updated: March 21, 2008

SARASOTA, Fla. -- How can you tell when a pitcher has inspired a scout to awaken from his somnambulant spring-training state?

When he bolts to attention as his radar gun begins to rattle. And, especially, when he then feels the need to start texting the gun numbers to his disbelieving friends.

"94-mph 2-seam ... 96 4-seam ... 96, 95, 94, 95, 94 ... 95 fb, 88 sli (slider), 87 sli, 96, 88 sli, 86 (change)."

The vignette we just described is true. Those text-message excerpts? Also 100 percent true. The scout will remain nameless. The pitcher who provoked this text-a-thon? He will not remain nameless.

Johnny Cueto could begin the regular season in the Reds' starting rotation.
    That name, for future reference: Reds pitcher Johnny Cueto. Remember it. We'll help you remember it, in fact, by naming him the 21-year-old captain of our 2008 Spring Training All-Eye-Popper Team.
    So what did a guy need to do this spring to qualify for this team? It wasn't too complicated:

Just have himself a spring training that blew up the stat sheet, woke up every scout in the ballpark and even caused a fan or three to stop leaning against the tiki bar.

So let's start at the top -- with the buzz-master champion of the entire state of Florida:

Johnny Cueto, RHP, Reds

SPRING STAT LINE: 0-0, 2.08 ERA, 13 IP, 8 H, 12 K
    Cueto and fellow Reds phenom Edinson Volquez (more on him later) have turned into more than mere March curiosities this spring. They've moved their new veteran teammates to start actively lobbying -- loudly -- for both of them to make the team.

"I don't know where they're going to start the season," said Adam Dunn this week. "But I would be pushing for them to start the season with us."

Well, thanks for the advice. The Reds aren't tipping their hand on that front. But they might have a mutiny on their hands if one, or both of those two, don't open the season in the rotation.

Cueto has been putting on a show from day one, blowing mid-90s fastballs past good hitters, freezing them with his dive-bombing slider, throwing invisible changeups on any count and doing it all with a presence and command that makes it tough to believe he's still only 21.

"His stuff speaks for itself," said catcher Paul Bako. "But for me, what's even more impressive is just where he is as a pitcher at a young age, and the way he commands the ball. He's got three 'plus' pitches, and the way he can pitch with those pitches has impressed me much more than his stuff."

"You see so many guys this time of year throwing [their fastballs] in the high 80s and low 90s," said one scout, "that when a guy comes along who throws it 94-97, to both sides of the plate, down in the zone, and complements that with a hard upper-80s slider and a changeup that goes straight down -- all for strikes -- let's just say it catches your attention."

Well, he's got our attention, anyway. All he has left to catch at this point is a spot on the Reds' roster.
    Josh Hamilton, CF, Rangers

SPRING STAT LINE: .556 AVG., .600 OBP, .972 SLG, 5 DOUBLES, 2 TRIPLES, 2 HR, 13 RBIS
    We didn't think it would be possible for Hamilton to pop more eyeballs this spring than last spring, when he came back from nearly four years out of baseball to just about leap off the field at us. But he's pulled that off, one spring after his stunning trade from Cincinnati to Texas in December.

"Josh Hamilton," said one scout, "has been the best player in Arizona. When he hits the ball, it has a completely different sound than just about any player out there. He's just a different player. If he stays on the straight and narrow, and he stays healthy, he could hit 40 home runs this year. Wait. You know what? In that park in Texas, he could hit 50. He's that good."

So how could the Reds have ever traded this guy? Read on.
    Edinson Volquez, RHP, Reds

SPRING STAT LINE: 1-0, 3.00 ERA, 15 IP, 21 K
    A scout we know announced to a large delegation of onlookers the other day: "The best trade this winter was Edinson Volquez for Josh Hamilton."

And after that Josh Hamilton riff a few paragraphs to the north, you would probably agree -- except that this scout meant it the other way around. That's how dazzling Volquez has been this spring.

That news might shock people who saw Volquez go 3-11, with a 7.20 ERA, in three different passes through Texas. But this spring, at age 25, he has totally clicked it into gear. In fact, he's tied with the Mets' duo of Johan Santana and John Maine for the lead in the whole sport in strikeouts.

But it isn't the number of whiffs that has stood out. It's how this guy has piled them up.

His first three March outings, in order, went: four punchouts in 2 1/3 innings against the Red Sox, eight K's in four innings against the Yankees and six strikeouts in five innings against the Phillies. And that's three of the four best lineups in baseball we're talking about.

"Unbelievable movement," said a coach of one of those teams. ... "Electric stuff," gushed one scout. ... "His changeup is really, really, really dirty," said Bako.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: '08 ST All Eye Popper Team

Great article there by Stark.

Cueto and Volquez are really catching the eyes of everyone. It's nice to see the Reds getting some positive publicity from ESPN lately - between the Cordero article and now this. Acquiring and developing good players will do that for ya. Articles like this one here really get my juices flowing; I can't wait to see these kids in action. With Cueto and Volquez and Joey Votto in the majors, and the soon arrival of Jay Bruce, and Homer Bailey, Matt Maloney, Josh Roenicke, and Pedro Viola in Louisville all probably up sometime during this season, it's going to be a fun year IMO.

Just maybe Tom Brownings title as the last quality starting pitcher to come out of the farm system is about up.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Just maybe Tom Brownings title as the last quality starting pitcher to come out of the farm system is about up.
    Don't jinx him, people said the same thing about Brett Tomko
    Go Gators!

I love reading stuff like that. Thanks for posting, M-R.

It's never easy relying on rookie pitchers to carry 2/5 of the rotation load, but dang it if the two we got aren't something special. Easily the highlight of this year's ST for me was watching Volquez dominate the Yankee hitters to the tune of 8 K's in 4 IP. I can't wait to see him and Cueto pitch in the regular season.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

These guys are making me genuinely excited to see them pitch. Can't wait for the season to start!

Cueto and Volquez getting some National pub!

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/mlb/index (Front Page)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring...son&id=3304727 (Article)

Great to see... I am loving our chances with these two in the mix, Harang and Arroyo anchoring the rotation, and Bailey a few months away...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Cueto and Volquez getting some National pub!

If these kids shine, the Reds will be the media darlings of 2008

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Cueto and Volquez getting some National pub!

I wonder if ESPN will ever get the ages right for players.... If only there were a way to double check how old someone is....

It's a better article than we have seen on the Reds' players written at this point in the spring than any I can remember in quite awhile anyway.

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Don't jinx him, people said the same thing about Brett Tomko
    People named Drew Nelson
    Never overlook the obvious

Eye popper not John Popper?

Anyone else get goosebumps when you read this - I've got to go check the Opening Day countdown thread out. Oh, I can't wait!
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?