Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Belisle sidelined with sore right forearm

Belisle sidelined with sore right forearm

Belisle sidelined with sore right forearm
    Competing for rotation spot, right-hander's prognosis uncertain
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Reds starting pitcher Matt Belisle has been shut down from throwing because of a sore right forearm, the Reds announced on Thursday.

How did Belisle get hurt?

"He was overpracticing his changeup," manager Dusty Baker said.

Baker did not know how long Belisle would be out of action. He hasn't pitched in a game since last Friday against the Yankees.

"We skipped him a turn and we'll see," Baker said. "From there, it's getting a little tougher to get the endurance back. That kind of set him backwards."

Belisle's injury could end up cementing the makeup of the Reds' rotation with just over a week left in camp. With Johnny Cueto and Edinson Volquez closing in on earning two of the three open spots, one spot seemed left for battle among Belisle, Josh Fogg and Homer Bailey.

Of the three candidates, Fogg has pitched best in camp. Belisle and Bailey have often struggled.

Belisle is 2-0 with a 9.00 ERA in 10 innings over four starts with 16 hits allowed. He has walked five with only three strikeouts.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Belisle sidelined with sore right forearm

well, that concludes the questions about who will be in the rotation. I guess Belisle will get a nice stint on the DL.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

What a turn of a events. Belisle was slated to the be the Reds #3 starter a month ago and now it appears he won't make the top 5. This is good news. Not for Belisle, but for Reds fans. It means the Reds actually have some quality in the their top 5.

I imagine Belisle will get his fair share at starting this year. I'm happy he won't be relied upon to be a miscast #3.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I just hope this is nothing that will linger. The Reds will need Matt Belisle this year whether he steps into the rotation at some point or as the primary long relief guy -he is still an important part of this staff.

Sore forearms are usually not good things to have. Hopefully it is just soreness.

Hopefully, it is just a case of Belisle just being sore, or the Reds wanting to play number games with the roster.
    IIRC, Belisle's big problems eariler in his career were his back.. although I'm not 100% positive. I'd be a lot more worried if his back was flaring up again.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Eat more spinach Matt.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Hopefully, it is just a case of Belisle just being sore, or the Reds wanting to play number games with the roster.
    IIRC, Belisle's big problems eariler in his career were his back.. although I'm not 100% positive. I'd be a lot more worried if his back was flaring up again.
    Maybe, but sore forearms are often an early warning symptom of elbow problems.

Major League Pitchers Should Fear “Forearm Tightness” and Tommy John Surgery
    The Healthy Skeptic
    Written by Sal Marinello

If a pitcher on your favorite major league team suffers from “forearm tightness” you have a reason to worry, as over the past couple of seasons this innocuous sounding “boo-boo” has wound up being an indicator of a major injury that can necessitate Tommy John surgery.

For whatever reason, it seems that over the past few years “forearm tightness” has become an occurrence of dire portent for pitchers in the major league. In many cases this innocent sounding “condition” has become a sign that severe elbow and/or shoulder trouble is on the horizon for hurlers.

Most recently one of the New York Yankees’ most recent busts – right-hander Carl Pavano – was sidelined by forearm tightness, which we now know was due to elbow ligament damage. Pavano’s career is probably over as he is about to undergo Tommy John surgery.

For all of you who may not be familiar with Tommy John, he was a pitcher who plied his trade quite successfully for 26 years. During the 1974 season – his 12th - John’s arm was “dead;” the description of a symptom suffered by pitchers which is usually due to a strained medial collateral ligament (MCL) of the elbow.

John’s MCL had actually ruptured.

Thanks to John’s prodding, surgeon Dr. Frank Jobe devised a procedure in which a ligament from the forearm of the non-injured arm is taken and transplanted in the place of the blown out ligament. Ligaments from cadavers have been used, although more commonly this ligament comes from the leg of the patient.

Anyway, this surgery gave John a second life, and after the surgery he actually won 164 games from 1976-1989, more games than he won during the first half of his career. Since this revolutionary moment in sports medicine history baseball players at all levels of the game have had their careers saved by this surgery. There are indications that a ball player’s arm actually becomes stronger as a result of having Tommy John surgery.

The “dead arm” syndrome experienced by pitchers in the old days – and that doomed careers - seems to have been replaced by “forearm tightness” in current day pitchers. Frankly, I think most of the injuries that are plaguing pitchers these days can be attributed to their off-field preparation, and not from throwing the baseball. However, that is a different argument for a different day.

If you go back over the past several seasons, forearm tightness is the precursor to a severe elbow ligament injury. In September of 2005 Atlanta Brave pitcher Mike Hampton experienced tightness in his left forearm, which wound up being an elbow problem that necessitated Tommy John surgery.

After missing all of 2006, Hampton’s left forearm starting aching, and ultimately his flexor tendon went bye-bye and the southpaw has undergone his second T.J. procedure. Smart money says he’s done.

Journeyman reliever Tom Gordon – most recently of the Phillies suffered from forearm problems last season and this year has had both elbow and shoulder problems. Gordon was recently diagnosed with a tear in his rotator cuff and a date for his return to baseball has yet to be determined.

Cincinnati Reds bench player outfielder Chris Denorfia – who has since been traded to Oakland - suffered a torn ligament in his throwing elbow and was initially reported as having a strained right forearm. He got his T.J. job this spring.

Chicago Cub former young stud starting pitcher Mark Prior has suffered from a variety of injuries since his incredible rookie season, including forearm and elbow stiffness that was reported back in spring training of 2004. Prior’s injury woes began with a bad Achilles and his trip through the Disabled List started with this injury to his lower leg. Since then he’s served as a living example of the old song, “The Ankle Bone is Connected to the Shin Bone,” as the injury train has made the journey from his shin to his shoulder.

Yankee farm hand Humberto Sanchez reported tightness in his right forearm in February and underwent his TJ-ectomy on his elbow in April.

You should get the idea by now. Forearm tightness is something to be scared of if you are a major league baseball player.

The latest on the “Forearm Tightness Watch” are Seattle Mariners’ 21-year old phenom Felix Hernandez, Arizona Diamondbacks’ over-the-hiller Randy Johnson, Boston Red Sox hurler Jon Lester (also recovering from cancer), Milwaukee pitcher Greg Aquino and the Florida Marlins' top pick in 2006 Brett Sinkbeil . If you’re a Mariners fan you should be especially worried.
    http://www.healthandfitnessadvice.co...tightness.html
    Last edited by edabbs44; 03-21-2008 at 09:09 AM.

Ominous.........I have that sinking feeling.
    Let's play two!!!

Edinson, Josh, Johnny, welcome to the rotation.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Another Dusty victim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Another Dusty victim.
    This has my vote for post of the day....

"This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Another Dusty victim.
    First one of the year! who has Belisle in the pool?
    Go Gators!

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Switch hands, Matt.... :

I can't help but wonder if a year in AAA would have helped Belisle in his starting aspirations. I hope that his arm is alright.

Turn Off Ads?