Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Rotation Unofficially Set--Explanation of Volquez's Short Night

Starting Rotation Unofficially Set--Explanation of Volquez's Short Night

From Fay:
    It's no coincidence that the Reds are pitching in the following order:

Aaron Harang
    Bronson Arroyo
    Johnny Cueto
    Josh Fogg
    Edinson Volquez

Dusty Baker wouldn't quite say it, but that's how the rotation will line up for the start of the season.

"It's not set," Baker said. "We've still got some action. It's pretty set, except for that fifth spot. I hate to tell young kids that they're there too soon. Then if something happens, you've got to go back on your word. You want to keep them motivated and driven through the end of spring training."

Volquez pitched only two innings Thursday in relief of Homer Bailey because Volquez was pitching on short rest.

"(We did that) in order to get in sync for the rotation," Baker said. "Fogg did the same thing the last time. We figured Homer could handle starting more than coming out of the pen. It takes him a long time to warm-up."

Matt Belisle is out of the picture because of a sore forearm.

"He's going to throw today," Baker said. "He's falling behind."

That means Harang, Arroyo, Cueto, Fogg, Volquez and Bailey are the only healthy starters still in the mix. Bailey could theoretically move into Fogg's or Volquez's spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Starting Rotation Unofficially Set--Explanation of Volquez's Short Night

I have friends taking the early Sunday morning flight to Florida...and possibly going to the game Sunday afternoon (if they have the energy)...if Cueto's pitching, they need to find the energy...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I have friends
    sure you do

traded mine for opinions.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I was on hand for the Volquez vs. the Phillies game albeit from afar (RF Bleachers). It was nice to have finally made it to ST although I was hoping to see Cueto I didn't get a chance to make it back. Just got back this morning and it was beautiful weather all week 80 degrees and breezy, except sitting in those bleachers that day was very hot.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

"(We did that) in order to get in sync for the rotation," Baker said. "Fogg did the same thing the last time.
    Seems like a reasonable explanation.

That sounds about right to me. I might have flipped Fogg and Volquez, to break up EV and Harang on the wrap around, but I understand the idea of keeping a verteran in between the 2 young guys.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

so if Fogg gets bombed for like 8 to 10 runs then Bailey goes in his spot??? My prediction would still be alive then, I went with

Harang
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Bailey
    Volquez

I want Bailey learning in the Bigs, sending him to AAA makes no sense to me.

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

I think Fay's got it right:

Which rotation do you like?

Which do you like?

Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo, Kyle Lohse, Matt Belisle and Eric Milton?

Or Harang, Arroyo, Johnny Cueto, Josh Fogg and Edinson Volquez?

The first one is last yearís Opening Day rotation. The second one is what looks to be this yearís Opening Day rotation?

Last year, the Reds were counting on Milton and Lohse to return to earlier form. (They didnít, by the way)

This year, the Reds are counting on the potential of Cueto and Volquez. My guess is most of you prefer rolling the dice with the live, young arms. Cueto and Volquez are going to light up the scoreboard radar readout like no starters the Reds have had since, well, they started putting radar readouts on the scoreboard. That doesnít assure success, but Cueto and Volquez have shown good off-speed stuff and fearlessness this spring as well.

Going with them seems to me to be a step in the right direction.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I'll take option number 2, for $200

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Yes, kill him quickly before he grows up. He'll look perfect in his coffin.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    so if Fogg gets bombed for like 8 to 10 runs then Bailey goes in his spot??? My prediction would still be alive then, I went with

Harang
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Bailey
    Volquez

Firstly I don't think that Fogg can lose the spot per se. Bailey has pitched very poorly this spring, he will have to win it.

A veteran like Fogg won't lose the spot just becuase of one bad start. It's not like anyone is pushing him.

And Bailey has much to learn at AAA. Sending him to AAA is the smartest thing to do.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

If you're going to have Cueto in the rotation, he should be the #5 guy.

Pitching him in the #5 spot will limit his innings, which the Reds need to do given his young age. It will also line him up so that Harang pitches the night after him -- which is also good because it puts the team's #1 "innings eater" pitcher the day after the team's #1 candidate to "need the hook in the 2nd inning."
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

Pitching him in the #5 spot will limit his innings, which the Reds need to do given his young age. It will also line him up so that Harang pitches the night after him -- which is also good because it puts the team's #1 "innings eater" pitcher the day after the team's #1 candidate to "need the hook in the 2nd inning."
    I think there are some merits to that argument but OTOH I think the Reds are planning on using Volquez in relief as well as the #5 starter which is arguably more stressful that being one of the top 4 in the rotation. Oh, and my guess is that Josh Fogg is the "#1 candidate to need the hook in the 2nd inning."
    Last edited by pedro; 03-21-2008 at 09:16 PM.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

Limiting innings is for Suckas....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Well, we'll see how Dusty does. From the gamut of opinions about Dusty and young arms this season is going to be the acid test of the reality of Dusty Baker's handling of young pitchers. The Reds have a bit of depth in the rotation, guys that can make a spot start. They have a horse in Harang that has the mechanics and body type that handles a heavier load. They have a consistent innings eater in Arroyo if you don't ride him too long in a given game (he just pitches poorly after really long outings). They have long relievers in Affeldt and Belisle or Fogg - no need to have a youngster suck one up "for the team". Between all that and normal off days, with careful handling Baker should be able to give an extra rest day to the kids on occasion without disrupting the rotation. If he keeps them under 110 pitches in a given start they should be fine. I agree that you can't always protect a young player in the course of a pennant race (if they end up in one) but you should never push them to the destruction point either, no matter the current situation. I've been giving Dusty the benefit and I'm one of those who like him - but I can turn on that opinion in a single 120 pitch night with Johnny or Edinson on the mound.

Turn Off Ads?