Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top 10 historically inaccurate movies

Re: Top 10 historically inaccurate movies

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I think the most entertaining historical movies are the ones that put some sort of fictional character in a historically accurate setting. There are a few historical fiction writers who are good at this, being able to make up a fictional character and then put him during a period that is rendered accurately, giving you a feel for the period and all that without having to worry about irritating details about the character being accurate or not.

Another historical film that had a few inaccuracies was Flyboys. Every German fighter in that film was a Fokker triplane, even though during the war most of the Germans flew biplanes, but I didn't really care about that little detail. I was entertained by the story. I later heard an interview with the director saying that he used the triplanes so the viewer would be able to tell friend from foe easily while watching the aerial battle scenes. When I watch a historical film, I just want a good feel for the period. When I watch a documentary, I want impeccable accuracy. Often a film will increase my interest in a certain period and make me want to read more about it or find some good documentaries. If more people react that way, then maybe the filmmaker accomplished something, even with the artistic license.
    That first part made me immediately think of Johnny Tremain. Have they ever made a movie about that book?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    How about a Top 10 historically accurate movies
    Could they find 10? 5?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

That first part made me immediately think of Johnny Tremain. Have they ever made a movie about that book?
    Yes, I remember watching Johnny Tremain in middle school. I can still remember the melody of the "Sons of Liberty" song they sing.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Yes, I remember watching Johnny Tremain in middle school. I can still remember the melody of the "Sons of Liberty" song they sing.
    Yep, they must have shown it to us 2 or 3 times while in elementary school.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050567/

Guys, they made that movie in 1957. They have made like 6 Superman and Batman movies since then

They have made like 6 Superman and Batman movies since then
    And a majority of them stunk, as far as historical accuracy and taking liberties with the characters.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I'm pretty sure George Lucas took a lot of license with the Star Wars history, you know, to make it all work out and to keep the plot lines neat and tidy.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

JFK is mostly fiction. Before Peter Jennings died at ABC, he did a 2 hour show on the assassination of Kennedy. With computer and lazor analysis, he pretty much put to rest the conspiracy theory. Lee Harvey Oswald did it.

I looked out the same window in Dallas, at the book depository, that Oswald took the fatal shots....it was not that hard of a shot with a scope and rifle.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Also, if you've ever seen "1776", the real John Adams sang and danced surprisingly little.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    JFK is mostly fiction. Before Peter Jennings died at ABC, he did a 2 hour show on the assassination of Kennedy. With computer and lazor analysis, he pretty much put to rest the conspiracy theory. Lee Harvey Oswald did it.

I looked out the same window in Dallas, at the book depository, that Oswald took the fatal shots....it was not that hard of a shot with a scope and rifle.
    I got the same impression when I was in Dallas. It would be more surprising if Oswald had missed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post

I saw something similar years ago with Walter Cronkite and he disproved many of the conspiracy theories and showed how it was very possible for Oswald to be the only shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I'm pretty sure George Lucas took a lot of license with the Star Wars history, you know, to make it all work out and to keep the plot lines neat and tidy.
    He did his best to digitally alter the "history" he established in his original movies.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    I saw something similar years ago with Walter Cronkite and he disproved many of the conspiracy theories and showed how it was very possible for Oswald to be the only shooter.
    Are you sure? Did they take into account ALL of the video evidence?

I have one thing in common with Lee Oswald - neither of us were in that window that day.

By the way, there was a very large tree growing there in 1963, which was later cut down, I suppose for historical accuracy.

Turn Off Ads?