Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dodgers seeking infield help...

Dodgers seeking infield help...

Freel? Gil? Castro (I know that will be loved)? You have to thing Kiriv's on the horn with Coletti...
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dodgers seeking infield help...

Mama's calling, Juan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I can't imagine the Dodgers view the Reds as a good trading partner to address any IF needs.

Scully would endorse a Castro return

If they want to trade someone decent how bout Keppinger?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    If they want to trade someone decent how bout Keppinger?
    I can't see how the Reds could afford to lose Keppinger without another viable SS in the system other than Gonzalez.
    School's out. What did you expect?

The Reds seeking infield help...

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I can't see how the Reds could afford to lose Keppinger without another viable SS in the system other than Gonzalez.
    Sure, but right now Keppinger is a backup, if the Dodgers or any team wanted to pony up something the Reds have a desperate need of (catcher, a real CF, more BP arms) then you just have to accept a weak bench.
    Go Gators!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Right now the Dodgers are set at 1B (Loney) and SS (Furcal), and should be set at 2B (Kent). 3B is a question mark with Nomar being injured. Tony Abreu (I think) currently is the backup IF for 3B, SS and 2B, and is in no way shape or form a starter.

I don't see the Reds having an extra 3B to send to the Dodgers, unless the Dodgers would consider Freel and everyday 3B, which I can't see many arguments in support for that statement. After that, we'd only have Gil, Castro, or Keppinger to offer, and I'd prefer the Reds hang onto Gil and Keppinger. As for Castro, well, we all know his story... We don't want him on our roster, and no other MLB team in their right mind would want him on theirs.

LaRoche is their 3B of the future, once he's healthy, isn't that right?

So the 3B needs to fill in for a few weeks, not all season.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Sure, but right now Keppinger is a backup, if the Dodgers or any team wanted to pony up something the Reds have a desperate need of (catcher, a real CF, more BP arms) then you just have to accept a weak bench.
    I don't agree. I think Gonzalez is too fragile to go without a credible back up at SS. Right now Keppinger is the only guy in the entire Reds organization who even remotely fits that bill.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I'd dangle Rosales, and see what the return is. Rosales is young, could be a very good defensive 3B, and can flat out rake. He's got real value.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

For whatever reason I just dont' feel confident that the Reds will get even a half season out of Gonzo. Normally, an injury like he suffered last season would have healed over the off season. Instead, it catches the Reds by surprise and he sits out until 10 days before Opening Day. The fact that he was cleared by 'Doc. Hollywood' does nothing to make me feel more secure.

I think SS will be a problem all season long unless Keppinger seizes the moment and makes his bat too valuable to put anywhere else.

IMO, the only guy the Dodgers might have an interest in is Freel but I don't think they would want him at his salary.

From what I've heard, Nomar should be back by May and Dodgers think they can afford to tough it out without him till then. LaRoche's injury is more of a problem.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    For whatever reason I just dont' feel confident that the Reds will get even a half season out of Gonzo. Normally, an injury like he suffered last season would have healed over the off season. Instead, it catches the Reds by surprise and he sits out until 10 days before Opening Day. The fact that he was cleared by 'Doc. Hollywood' does nothing to make me feel more secure.

I think SS will be a problem all season long unless Keppinger seizes the moment and makes his bat too valuable to put anywhere else.

IMO, the only guy the Dodgers might have an interest in is Freel but I don't think they would want him at his salary.

From what I've heard, Nomar should be back by May and Dodgers think they can afford to tough it out without him till then. LaRoche's injury is more of a problem.

Rem
    I agree about Gonzalez/Keppinger. Gonzalez is officially a guy who misses a lot of games now and when this heals, something else will come along to keep him out of the line-up.

Freel could be useful in LA. Jeff Kent is probably going to start on the DL in addition to Laroche and Garciaparra. They could probably uses Freel to help out. When those guys are back, Freel can be a help in the OF. In the meantime the Dodgers are likely to move one of two OF that they have now. They'd love to move Pierre's contract, but that isn't likely so they may move Andre Eithier to get help elsewhere. Freel would be a perfect 4th OF for them.

Delwyn Young is another OF who is out of options, but he can really hit. He is a switch hitter who put up an OPS of 1.014 as a RH batter against LHP and an OPS of .945 as a LH Batter against RH Pitching in AAA last year. Young has proved inadequate at 2B and 3B so the Dodgers may be willing to exchange him for Freel to gain Freel's versatility whle the injuries are mounting. Young probably won't play much in LA behind Kemp, Jones, Pierre and Ethier.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post

I'm sure a certain grandmother with seats down the RF line would have objections too.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?