Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarasota Thoughts

Sarasota Thoughts

I had made a trip down to Anna Maria Island outside of Sarasota this past weekend. I didn't realize how close it was to Sarasota, so I didn't think out seeing a spring training game until I got down there.

I noticed that Cueto was pitching on Monday and as our fishing plans fell through, my step father and I dove on down there hoping to buy tickets at the window or scalp a couple.

The ball game was scheduled for 1:05 and we got down there at 12:30. I walked up to the first guy a saw with tickets for sale. Boy were we lucky. He gave them to use for face value plus the mailing charge ($17 a piece) and we ended up three rows behind Krivsky and the scouts right behind home plate!

It was a beautiful day, if a bit hot, but I was in heaven. There were probably six scouts there and each of them had a radar gun, which we could easily see from our seats. Cueto was definitely bringing the heat vs. Detroit even though he was around the plate. He was usually at 94-96 for his fastball, though I'm sure he must have hit 97 time or too in the 3rd or 4th.

He was definitely something to see even if his control was off. Case in point, Kenny Rogers' at bat. You could tell Rogers wasn't even going to think about swinging, yet Cueto went 3-2 before striking him out.

Weathers looked great, and Roeneke and Cordero both looked pretty good too. As far as the position players, Gil rocked one to deep center for a double, and Patterson looked pretty good. I saw Bruce bat but he went 0 for 2, and looked a bit thicker than I expected.

This was the only game I saw, but I got to share a plane with Arroyo on the way home. He and C. Trent were in the seats in front of me (coach) doing an interview. I heard bits and pieces of their convo, but nothing earth shattering. He seemed like a very nice guy.

Looking forward to the season!
    Thank goodness for baseball.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sarasota Thoughts

I have been one of the most vehement opponists to the Reds moving to Az. Is there any other ESTZ teams in Az. other than the Reds and the team from that other Ohio city? After 2 games at Sarasota, Marty's remarks about "tired old Ed Smith Stadium" rings true. It is in need of major renovation. I stand chastised. Port Charlotte went through a similar thing when they lost the Rangers a few years ago. Lo and behold, Charlotte found the money to renovate their facility to lure Tampa. Sarasota wiill have to do the same.

The team that invented Professional Baseball should not play 2nd fiddle to a team from the town that didn't even know they had a baseball team until 15 years ago. Az. sucks, but Sarasota blew their opportunity. When the Reds go to Az., I will no longer attend ST. Too bad, I been there 9 of the last 1o.

I understand the business side of the decision to move to Az. But what about the fans who have supported this business for the last 100+ years? It doesn't seem the Reds have shown much interest in finding another home in Fla. I fear the end of an era is upon us. No longer will most fans be able to drive the family to spring training to watch the Reds. This spring ritual will forever be lost for a franchise who fancies itself as steeped in tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    I understand the business side of the decision to move to Az. But what about the fans who have supported this business for the last 100+ years? It doesn't seem the Reds have shown much interest in finding another home in Fla. I fear the end of an era is upon us. No longer will most fans be able to drive the family to spring training to watch the Reds. This spring ritual will forever be lost for a franchise who fancies itself as steeped in tradition.
    It all comes down to money. Florida's economy is in the tank. Arizona on the other hand has lots of money to attract another team. The Reds pretty much sent the message out that they may want to get out of Sarasota, and that message was awnsered by Arizona. Sure it's far away, but I don't want the Reds practicing in sub-par facilities.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

I've been to spring training in FL three times. I probably would never go to Arizona. I understand the $ involved. Maybe the Reds think this will improve their west coast fan base.
    Don't smoke'em if you got'em

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    It all comes down to money. Florida's economy is in the tank. Arizona on the other hand has lots of money to attract another team. The Reds pretty much sent the message out that they may want to get out of Sarasota, and that message was awnsered by Arizona. Sure it's far away, but I don't want the Reds practicing in sub-par facilities.
    Well, now they get to be 2nd fiddle to the team from up north. I have a problem being in such a position to a team that couldn't put 5,000 fans in the seats 15 years ago. There was a movie making a mockery about how poor attendance was in Cleveland. In Az., the Reds who are the seat of professional baseball get to be the step-child to them. Boooo! The only people the Reds will have in the stands, will be rich guys, and the fans from whatever team they are playing. It will be like every game the Reds are the visiting team. After attending ST for so many years, I simply will not be able to afford a trip to Az. (John Allen is a ----nevermind). I passed him out of Ed Smith after the game against the Phils Sunday, and said to him, "take 'em to Az., you'll be saving me serious money". He just glared at me.

Quote Originally Posted by Marge'sMullet View Post
    I've been to spring training in FL three times. I probably would never go to Arizona. I understand the $ involved. Maybe the Reds think this will improve their west coast fan base.
    I'm with you on never getting to Az. I would think there are a lot more Reds fans in Fla. than Az. As I said in previous post, I just don't feel much effort was put into finding a Fla home.

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    I'm with you on never getting to Az. I would think there are a lot more Reds fans in Fla. than Az. As I said in previous post, I just don't feel much effort was put into finding a Fla home.
    You are right about not enough effort into finding another FL. home. I bet that had a lot to do with John Allen being squeezed out. He was charged with resolving the situation, and he played all his cards on Sarasota. A couple years ago, Lee County wanted to build a facility for another team that would then share Ed Hammond Stadium with the Twins, a deal similar to what they are proposed to do in Az. with the Indians. Allen could have let it be known they were looking at a permanent home in Ft. Myers, and I'm thinking Sarasota would have gotten the deal done before the local economy tanked.

I wonder if Cleveland had to approve sharing the AZ facility with the Reds?

The Dodgers are leaving Vero Beach. I have no idea what kind of shape the facility is in. Why doesn't Reds management check it out.
    ?

Orioles are suppose to be going there.

Quote Originally Posted by BEETTLEBUG View Post
    Orioles are suppose to be going there.
    I'm led to believe that's a done deal.

If the Reds are willing to share facilities, what about doing the same in Fla.? Bradenton, Clearwater, St. Pete, Dunedin, Lakeland, etc. Isn't Winter Haven gonna be available when the Indians are gone?

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    I'm led to believe that's a done deal.
    That leaves Fort Lauderdale open?

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    That leaves Fort Lauderdale open?
    As well as Winter Haven, who did approach the Reds, but unfortunately that place makes "tired old" Ed Smith look like the penthouse. They also told the Reds they didn't have any money plans to modernize/improve. I will watch the Az. thing with great anticipatation. I have been at 9 of the last 10 STs, all due to the fact I have a brother to stay with in Ft. Myers, so I'm not paying tourist rates for a hotel room. I would not be able to afford the trip to Az. so I'm hoping they stay in Sarasota, or at least somewhere in Fla, preferably Gulf-side.

Turn Off Ads?