Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Majewski and Coutlangus option to AAA

Re: Majewski and Coutlangus option to AAA

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Shame we can't carry a lefty who actually has a platoon advantage...

Neither Stanton nor Affeldt are appreciably tougher on lefties. Cooter on the other hand was nearly untouchable - just needed to throw some more strikes.
    Neither are Bray or Mercker...

2. Turn Off Ads?

More on the pen from Fay.

Bullpen musings

Francisco Cordero, David Weathers, Mike Stanton and Jeremy Affeldt are the locks to make the bullpen.

In the case of Stanton and Affeldt, their $3 million salaries have a lot to do with it. But that’s the way baseball works.

I still think Jared Burton makes it, despite a rough spring.

That’s five.

Here’s my depth chart for the remaining relievers in camp:
    1. Todd Coffey
    2. Bill Bray
    3. Kent Mercker
    4. Mike Lincoln
    5. Jim Brower
    6. Jose Capellan.

Brower and Capellan have no shot. It’s too close to call among the other four.

Lincoln’s an interesting guy. He’s throwing 94 after two “Tommy John” surgeries and three years off. But he had a bad outing Saturday (1 IP, 3 hits, 2 runs). Each outing is big for the bubble guys now.

Coffey, by the way, has given up one hit and struck out six in 6 2/3 innings this spring.
    I think I agree, but I also saw that Belisle threw 30 pitches today. If he is healthy it could change things. I wish they could move Stanton.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Lincoln pitched his way OUT of contention today, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    and is that going to suddenly change in 2008?

It's not the guys who are getting themselves out that I'm worried about. It's the guys who aren't doing that that I'm worried about. Until Coutlangus can get that walk rate down he doesn't deserve to be in the big leagues any more than Majewski does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It's not the guys who are getting themselves out that I'm worried about. It's the guys who aren't doing that that I'm worried about. Until Coutlangus can get that walk rate down he doesn't deserve to be in the big leagues any more than Majewski does.
    I'm not saying that Coutlangus is your 8th ining set-up man, but with 2 outs and a runner on second, and a lefty at the plate, there might not be another guy on the staff I'd rather have pitching. Dusty just needs to use him correctly...

With the way Bray and Coffey have pitched they have got to make the team.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Some people are stupid enough to swing at pitches outside the strike zone.
    And, hopefully for LOOGYs everywhere, that fact remains unchanged for all eternity.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

In the case of Stanton and Affeldt, their $3 million salaries have a lot to do with it. But that’s the way baseball works.
    That's not the way "baseball works." That's the way the Reds (and specifically Krivsky) work.

I think that's an important distinction. They control their destiny. No one's got a .38 pointed at the back of their heads.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I understand the mentioning of Stanton in this quote. I really do. When the guy is in the last year of a contract these things typically come into play.

Affeldt blows my friggin mind. He was just signed! Fay's quote almost makes it seem like it is no fault of anyone in the system that Affeldt's contract is an issue. Almost like when the Reds were letting Milton pitch out his contract last year. Instead of just accepting that the guy needs to pitch because of his contract, someone should be asking the question of why he was given a $3MM contract to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I understand the mentioning of Stanton in this quote. I really do. When the guy is in the last year of a contract these things typically come into play.

Affeldt blows my friggin mind. He was just signed! Fay's quote almost makes it seem like it is no fault of anyone in the system that Affeldt's contract is an issue. Almost like when the Reds were letting Milton pitch out his contract last year. Instead of just accepting that the guy needs to pitch because of his contract, someone should be asking the question of why he was given a $3MM contract to start with.
    Why was Stanton given two years?

A ton of us knew that was a terrible idea the day it happened. There are better options in house. There's no reason for Stanton to be there. None.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Why was Stanton given two years?

A ton of us knew that was a terrible idea the day it happened. There are better options in house. There's no reason for Stanton to be there. None.
    Agreed 100%. But I'm not focusing on what happened last offseason. That contract was stupid from the get go. But to basically put a guy signed this past offseason in the same class as Stanton before the first official pitch has been thrown is just awful.

Affeldt hasn't played an inning for this team yet and the press is saying that one big reason why he will make the team is because of his contract. Wow.

I'm just hoping that the random nature of relief pitching in general will work in the Reds' favor this season.

In other words....Cross yer friggin' fingers.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    For the Reds' sake and for his own, Gary Majewski really needs to be traded. He needs a change of scenery. Maybe he can go somewhere else and become an effective pitcher (and maybe not), but it isn't going to happen for him here.
    Or maybe Magik can do something different like cut his hair and shave his goatee.

I'm sure that will work!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I don't quite get McCoy's view on the bullpen. I would think that Cordero, Burton (despite bad spring), Weathers, Affeldt, Bray are locks. That leaves Stanton, Mercker, and Coffey for two spots. If Reds feel they need to keep Stanton due to contract, one open spot remains for Mercker or Coffey. Since 4 lefties is ridiculous, I'd expect Coffey to get the spot and Mercker be let go.

I think Bray is on the bubble because he has options and has been hurt this spring, and like Maj hasn't exactly dazzled in his time up here.

I think Wayne has a lot of faith in Coffey, and justifiably so IMO.
    Coffey makes the team.

Stanton makes the team.

I think Mercker makes the team also. If for no other reason that Mercker has had a decent spring (IIRC) and if they don't put him on the roster, he's gone.. So, I'm guessing Bray gets optioned down to hang with Maj.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post

Affeldt hasn't played an inning for this team yet and the press is saying that one big reason why he will make the team is because of his contract. Wow.

IMO, Affedlt was signed because of the unkowns in the rotation. Remember, at the time, Fogg was not on board yet, and Wayne probably didn't know Fogg would sign. Wayne also probably smartly assumed that it's not a good idea to rely on two rookies grabbing starting jobs.

As it turns out, it looks like 2 rookies are ready for the rotation, and Fogg can backfill the Belisle slot. Still, it's a very defensible one year signing. We might still need him to eat up innings this year. So much of the team pitching depth is based on kids, and it's nice to not to be forced to use kids to eat innings if they aren't ready. Ceuto or Volquez might stumble. I hope not, but they might. Fogg might implode.

Stanton was indefensible, but Affedlt is defendable.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?