Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bengals get Utecht

Bengals get Utecht

This is a positive, which must be why, there is nothing posted yet :

From Curnette's blog:
    The Bengals this morning announced that tight end Ben Utecht is now theirs.

The NFL informed the Bengals this morning that the Indianapolis Colts decided not to match the Bengals' offer sheet for Utecht, who had been a restricted free agent.

On March 14, the Bengals signed Utecht to a three-year, $9 million offer sheet as a restricted free agent.

Utecht, speaking from by phone from the Twin Cities, told The Enquirer that he already had talked this morning to Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis.

"The emotional roller coaster, the last few weeks, is over," Utecht said. "It's finally good to be graduated and know where I'll be."

Utecht has plans to visit his parents over the Easter weekend and won't be attending the opening of the Bengals offseason strength and conditioning program Monday.

"I was on the Colts' schedule, and they don’t start until March 31,” Utecht said. "Coach Lewis understood."

Indianapolis, which had signed Utecht as a college free agent in 2004 – he was injured and missed all of that season – had extended him a one-year, $927,000 qualifying offer as a restricted free agent.

The tender guaranteed Utecht that one-year salary and gave the Colts seven days to decide whether to match an offer sheet Utecht might sign with another team. The Colts will not receive any draft-pick compensation from the Bengals because Utecht was not a drafted player.

Utecht had 31 receptions for 364 yards (11.7-yard average) and one touchdown in 2007.

Career, he has 71 receptions and an 11.3-yard average with three touchdowns; 41 of his career receptions have resulted in first downs. His goal, Utecht said, was to play in the Bengals offense with quarterback Carson Palmer.

Utecht also visited the Jets. With the Colts, he played behind Dallas Clark.

With the Bengals, Utecht would provide a pass-receiving threat at tight end, complementing blocking-oriented starter Reggie Kelly.

The Bengals have two other tight ends under contract, Daniel Coats and Nate Lawrie.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bengals get Utecht

That's a good deal for the Bengals. Now they have a good blocking TE in Kelly, and a good recieving TE in Utecht.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    That's a good deal for the Bengals. Now they have a good blocking TE in Kelly, and a good recieving TE in Utecht.
    Shhhhhhhh. This side of the board is for complaining about dumb (Marvin) and dumber (Mike).

Bengals to the Super Bowl!!!

Stat geek...and proud

Ah, as a Colts fan, for that money, you guys can have him. He's easily replaced. How hard is it to catch passes from #18?

Any1 else notice that TJ has started making his grumblings only after it was announced we were going after Utecht. He made a remark about how this guy was going to take catches away from him then a few days later says he isnt going to the workouts either.

Utecht is a nice player but you will find out he is always hurt because of the hard shots he takes, he fumbles alot, and he drops alot of catchable balls. For the money you can have him. Here is a fact about Ben.... he is married to a former Miss America pagent contestant, I think she was Miss Wisconsin.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    Any1 else notice that TJ has started making his grumblings only after it was announced we were going after Utecht. He made a remark about how this guy was going to take catches away from him then a few days later says he isnt going to the workouts either.
    TJ needs to stay away from Chad.

I'm really happy with the Bengals so far this offseason. You can tell there really trying to improve the team.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Ah, as a Colts fan, for that money, you guys can have him. He's easily replaced. How hard is it to catch passes from #18?
    I don't know, but if receivers are simply replaceable, then I guess that means Marvin Harrison being injured in the playoffs had no impact on getting knocked off.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I don't know, but if receivers are simply replaceable, then I guess that means Marvin Harrison being injured in the playoffs had no impact on getting knocked off.
    Marvin had no business playing the the playoff game but I think his point is that the Colts have Ben's replacement already on the roster in Brian Fletcher. Back up tight ends dont really lead you to Super Bowls.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I'm really happy with the Bengals so far this offseason. You can tell there really trying to improve the team.
    I honestly can't tell if this is sarcastic or not. I think it's not which makes it shocking. They tried and failed twice on two defensive lineman. They inked the 3rd one. They lost 3 defensive starters. Granted, none were that good, but they were still starters. Utecht is a backup TE, probably not much of a difference maker. I just don't see how anyone would be happy with the Bengals offseason.

And to top all of that off, Marvin and Chad still haven't spoken since the end of the season. That's truely hard to believe. Marvin! Get your head out of your a**. This offseason has been poor in my opinion. This team has so many holes to fill I don't know where to start.

Here's hoping for a perfect draft. Because that's what it's going to take to get this team back on the right track.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I honestly can't tell if this is sarcastic or not. I think it's not which makes it shocking. They tried and failed twice on two defensive lineman. They inked the 3rd one. They lost 3 defensive starters. Granted, none were that good, but they were still starters. Utecht is a backup TE, probably not much of a difference maker. I just don't see how anyone would be happy with the Bengals offseason.

And to top all of that off, Marvin and Chad still haven't spoken since the end of the season. That's truely hard to believe. Marvin! Get your head out of your a**. This offseason has been poor in my opinion. This team has so many holes to fill I don't know where to start.

Here's hoping for a perfect draft. Because that's what it's going to take to get this team back on the right track.
    Sarcasm. Should've made that more clear.

I'm really not happy with the players they've let go. I'm just praying for a good draft.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    He is worth his weight in gold if he does his job and takes the pressure off of TJ and Henry. Having two good tight ends is a luxury for a team like the Colts, we are glad to take him off your hands.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Utecht was a backup TE for the Colts. Obviously, he isn't going to see many catches with Dallas Clark as the starter, but this is a great signing.

I do like the Odom signing as well. He isn't a big DE like Justin Smith, but he is more in the Geathers mold. If we do run a 3-4 on some fronts, he could be used as a hybrid. Only problem is going to be keeping him on the field on full downs.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I, for one, am pleased with this offseason (no sarcasm). They got rid of an awful defensive coordinator and replaced him with a competent one. They opted not to once again franchise-tag Justin Smith, and instead gave that tag to a versatile and still improving Stacy Andrews. They signed a DE who showed he can actually get to the QB (although I'll admit he was certainly aided by a couple his All-Pro teammates), and now they have a pass catching TE, something many Bengals fans have been clamoring for for years.

Yeah they missed out on Shaun Rogers, but that was due to a BS technicality. The Bengals might yet still get DeWayne Robertson from the Jets. And that's not even factoring that there's a legitimate chance they could grab either Dorsey or Ellis in the draft.

The Chad fiasco I'll give you. Marvin should have handled it better, but I'm sure it's no cup of tea to deal with an ego-maniac like Chad Johnson. Still, if you don't think this is an improving team, then I guess you're entitled to your opinion, but I very much disagree.

Turn Off Ads?