Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Reds vs Rays 3-23-08

Re: Reds vs Rays 3-23-08

He's pitching on five days rest today as opposed to the regular four but that shouldn't really matter, he just didn't have it today.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

And there's the 5th walk...his day is done.

Guess we'll get to see the entire bullpen competition today.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Maybe an opening for Homer B.

Cueto still has the inside track, but he walked five guys in the first inning. He needs to do better next time.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I really really hope the Reds are smart enough to not judge on one bad start.
    It depends on why he pitched bad. Things that we can't see on the tv (because its not on) or listening on the radio.

I don't think the Reds are going to make a decision based one on game, but if they were ever questioning bringing him up despite how good he had looked, this game surely doesn't help that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Maybe an opening for Homer B.

Cueto still has the inside track, but he walked five guys in the first inning. He needs to do better next time.
    Cueto has dominated all spring while Homer has been awful all spring. I would hope one bad outing would not cloud the Reds judgement.

I just fear something like this will be enough to have them go with a more "veteran direction" -- that seems to be what they're doing these days despite clamoring about how great the prospects are.

Like I said, Friday should be a good indicator on how good Cueto's head is.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 03-23-2008 at 01:31 PM.

41 pitches in an inning.!!! He's being hailed as the savior and he's been good enough all spring for this not to effect anything, but going past so far past 30 pitches in an inning is criminal. No matter how well he's done, he's still a 22 year old kid.

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Cueto has dominated all spring while Homer has been awful all spring. I would hope one bad outing would not cloud the Reds judgement.
    Homer wasn't awful the other day. Cueto got rocked harder today than Bailey has any time this spring. Its one game and Cueto still should get the shot before Bailey.... but today was really, really ugly for Cueto.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Homer wasn't awful the other day. Cueto got rocked harder today than Bailey has any time this spring. Its one game and Cueto still should get the shot before Bailey.... but today was really, really ugly for Cueto.
    Homer had a couple bad clunkers. And while the one run allowed the other was nice, the 2 walks and 0 K's in 4 innings wasn't impressive at all.

I really really hope the Reds are smart enough to not judge on one bad start.

Reds have to do what's best for the kid, not what's best for Dusty or today's fans.

it's up to Reds FO to put the kid on a path to success, whether on the short term that's long or short relief, ML rotation, or more minor league time.

His long term success will ultimately help the team.

This outing shouldn't remove Cueto from the rotation, but if it does Bailey is not the answer. Belisle threw 30 Pitches both yesterday and today. A 50 Pitch outing on Tuesday and maybe 70 pitches on Sunday in a minor league game and he'd be ready to go 5 as the 5th starter.

Uh-oh Cueto

Johnny Cueto hit a little bump in the road.

He allowed five runs on three hits in two-thirds of inning. He simply could not command any of his pitches. He walked five, including pitcher Matt Garza on four pitches.

He gave up a double to Akinori Iwamura to start the game. He walked Carl Crawford on five pitches. Carlos Pena hit one out to left-center. Cueto then got a pair of groundouts. But he walked the nerxt two hitters. Joel Guzman followed with a two-run double. Cueto then walked Garza. When Iwamura walked, Dusty Baker came out and got Cueto.

41 pitches/18 strikes.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/

Hopefully the Reds brought enough pitchers with them today...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Hopefully the Reds brought enough pitchers with them today...
    Paging Mr. Capellan. Mr. Capellan please report to the major league field.

Turn Off Ads?