Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Reds vs Rays 3-23-08

Re: Reds vs Rays 3-23-08

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Homer had a couple bad clunkers. And while the one run allowed the other was nice, the 2 walks and 0 K's in 4 innings wasn't impressive at all.
    4 innings of 2 walks and no K's that leads to 1 run may not be impressive, but it was certainly effective. In comparison to what just happened today, it was downright brilliant. Bailey has had some bad games this spring, nothing close to as ugly as what just happened with Cueto though.

I would love to know if it was a release point issue or something else mechanical or if it was just one of those days.

2. Turn Off Ads?

41 pitches and 18 strikes? Wow
    "The guy I think could be really good in center is Adam Dunn. If someone asked me if Dunn could be a center fielder for the next 10 years, if he started working on it, no one could explain to me why he couldn’t do it." - Brad Kullman

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I'm expecting injury rumors before the game ends.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Cueto has been getting a bit too hyped. He is still a kid and, while he may dazzle us with his "stuff", we have to remember that he is still a youngster. The proposed rotation, while talented, is a bit green and is not the experienced type you really expect to take a team to the playoffs.

IMO, this team isn't primed for the playoffs but they have a really good shot 2-3 years down the line. Today is just a taste of why. I've been saying it for a while now but I think the FO has a great opportunity in front of them. I just hope they prepare wisely and not hurt the future for the present.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm expecting injury rumors before the game ends.
    Hate to say it.... but the first thing that went through my mind was 'maybe he has been overthrowing all spring and hurt something'. Hope to God I am wrong, but its the first thing I thought about when I saw his walks so high.

What I don't understand is why Cueto is supposedly the third starter. At best, he should be the fifth starter on a pitch count with his turn skipped on off days. He is only 22 and should be broken in slowly. Volquez should be the third starter, he's more seasoned. And Cueto needs to be protected from overuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    What I don't understand is why Cueto is supposedly the third starter. At best, he should be the fifth starter on a pitch count with his turn skipped on off days. He is only 22 and should be broken in slowly. Volquez should be the third starter, he's more seasoned. And Cueto needs to be protected from overuse.
    I agree with the theory, just not the implementation. I pitch him between Harang and Arroyo so the bullpen is relatively rested when he pitches because Harang went deep into the game the day before and Arroyo the next day can go an extra inning if needed. I also think this is why they need to have multi-inning pitchers. Including not only Coffey types that can go two, but also a long man that can go 4 or 5. I suppose Stanton's making the team by default prevents the team from carrying the right guys to achieve that.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Man Pills

I'm not worried short term at all.

But it's why I've hammered on the point that Belisle is very, very important to this club. Anytime you have two rookies needing to throw at least 140-150 MLB innings apiece, you need depth. MLB innings are very different beasts from MiLB innings.

A big NO to trading Belisle for a catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post

But it's why I've hammered on the point that Belisle is very, very important to this club. Anytime you have two rookies needing to throw at least 140-150 MLB innings apiece, you need depth. MLB innings are very different beasts from MiLB innings.

Agree completely. Unless its a lopsided deal in the Reds favor, I keep as many guys capable of providing starts in the pipeline as possible. 162 Games is a long season.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post

Agreed. I think this is an example of some of the growing pains you will see Cueto and Volquez. Cueto has had superb control throughout his minor league career, so his control issues today do not really worry me. Obviously he now needs to reboun with a solid start Friday.

The Reds need a long man in the pen, like Belisle or Fogg, for days like today.
    "The guy I think could be really good in center is Adam Dunn. If someone asked me if Dunn could be a center fielder for the next 10 years, if he started working on it, no one could explain to me why he couldn’t do it." - Brad Kullman

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Agreed. I think this is an example of some of the growing pains you will see Cueto and Volquez. Cueto has had superb control throughout his minor league career, so his control issues today do not really worry me. Obviously he now needs to reboun with a solid start Friday.

The Reds need a long man in the pen, like Belisle or Fogg, for days like today.
    Heck, even Affeldt could provide 3-4 innings in a blow out.

paging Aronchis...

* David Ross is expected to catch 5 innings and make 5 plate appearances in a minor league game today. He played in a Class A minor league game on Friday, catching four innings, going 2-for-3 with a homer and two walks.
    me likey
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I agree with the theory, just not the implementation. I pitch him between Harang and Arroyo so the bullpen is relatively rested when he pitches because Harang went deep into the game the day before and Arroyo the next day can go an extra inning if needed. I also think this is why they need to have multi-inning pitchers. Including not only Coffey types that can go two, but also a long man that can go 4 or 5. I suppose Stanton's making the team by default prevents the team from carrying the right guys to achieve that.
    My point is that Cueto should be treated as a "fifth starter" with a pitch count, skipped turns, handled very carefully. It doesn't mean he has to pitch in any particular slot -- he can pitch between Harang and Arroyo or any time it makes sense -- but he needs to be brought along very slowly.

I strongly agree on multi-inning relievers, except if Stanton is on the team he can pitch multiple inning outings sometimes. He has done it and can do it. How effective he will be this year is a different question.

Pena clobbered a high changeup, sounds like he just didnt have his good control.

Man Pills

Can I again make the point of the necessity of picking up a seasoned #2 or #3 starter this offseason.

There simply isn't enough pitching depth in the universe. Not on the Red Sox, not on the Yankees, nowhere. Every team is a bad delivery away from scrambling to plug the Hoover Dam.

Turn Off Ads?