Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cueto gets hammered anybody worried?

Reds1990

Cueto gets hammered anybody worried?

Cueto gets rocked today! 2/3 inning 5 runs. So much for a great spring. Based on Bailey's outing against Minnesota last week is he back in the race? He'll probably get another start as will Cueto. Based on who pithces well who gets the edge? Should we be worried by today's performance or do we chalk it up to it was bound to happen? I'm concerned.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cueto gets hammered anybody worried?

why be concerned? his name isn't homer bailey. THAT'S the sacrificial lamb.....

Here's another idea..... everybody understaned that the young guys are gonna struggle from time to time... It's all a part of the learning curve.

got alil captain in u?

I'd rather him get his bad outing out now then wait till the first few weeks of the season. This outing might refocus him even more and continue to keep him working hard to be on top of his game. Dusty i'll be intersted to see how he responds from this bad outing.

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07 View Post
    I'd rather him get his bad outing out now then wait till the first few weeks of the season. This outing might refocus him even more and continue to keep him working hard to be on top of his game. Dusty i'll be intersted to see how he responds from this bad outing.
    I agree. Everyone needs something like that to happen to understand and improve on their weak points. At least it happened early.

Looks like he didn't have any command today.

Bound to happen to a young pitcher from time to time. He needs a pat on the back and a "go get 'em next time"
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

anyone think this will effect the spot that was pretty much a lock for cueto in the rotation? sure hope not.

It would take more than one bad spring outing to get me overly concerned. I think he will be fine and still expect him to be in the rotation on Opening Day.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    anyone think this will effect the spot that was pretty much a lock for cueto in the rotation? sure hope not.
    It shouldnt.
    I mean him and Volquez are going to experience growing pains from time to time, that is pretty certain.
    I actually think these kind of performances from Cueto will be very rare.
    For what the kid has done this ST plus going thru the likes of Utley,Howard, Rollins etc the other night, I would much rather have him/Volquez over Fogg/Belisle/ Bailey.
    Just read where Bedard has got rocked 2 straight outings as well as Santana the other day. If these guys get rocked occasionally then so will our young ones as will Harang/Arroyo occasionally.
    It is all part of the game.
    Somedays, a pitcher just doesnt have it.

part of BBN

Frankly, I am more concerned about Burton/Affedlt than Cueto.
    Bray is throwing the ball well though as is Coffey.

Hey, what is it Eric Milton always said after his similar spring debacles? Something about just getting his work in. If it worked for him for 3 years, let's give the kid a chance.

As stated above, I too am getting a little nervous about the pen in front of Cordero and Stormy. Burton's performance earlier in the week was vintage DeCafe from the last two years.

Every young pitcher has growing pains. Some pitchers struggle through them (Bailey), and some take them in stride. Hopefully Cueto falls into the last category.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

I am no worried everyone has a bad outing once in a while
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

part of BBN

Some comments after the game today from the reds mlb site:

Baker removed Cueto after Iwamura walked in his second plate appearance of the inning. Cueto's spring ERA soared to 5.27 (eight earned runs over 13 2/3 innings).

"I'm sure that probably won't happen to him again the rest of his career," Baker said. "It was a bad outing and he felt terrible about it. Everybody was giving him some love in the dugout, the guys on the team. Everybody -- [Ken] Griffey, [Adam] Dunn, Mario Soto. I was talking to him. Dick was talking to him."

Cordero, a fellow Dominican, also spoke with the rookie in the clubhouse, delivering a positive message.

"Everybody goes through that," Cordero said, speaking for himself. "It's going to happen to everybody. Not one person is perfect. You can have 10 wins in a row and then one day you come in confident and think you're going to do good. it happens that you don't throw strikes or when you throw strikes, they hit it because they're ready for it."

Cueto has been a Grapefruit League sensation and scouts, opponents and media around Florida have been buzzing about him. The prospect, a non-roster invite, pitched himself into the rotation with a 2.08 ERA and 12 strikeouts over 13 innings in four games. Coming into Sunday's game, he had only four walks, a total he more than doubled on Sunday.

The outing shouldn't hurt Cueto's chances of making the team, however. Although Baker has set nothing in stone, Cueto will likely open the regular season as the Reds' third starter.

"He'll be fine," Baker said. "You learn more from those outings than the good outings. I told him to learn from this. I'm sure he will."

He was bound to have a bad outing. How is having one bad outing equal to suddenly having a bad Spring!?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Fuel View Post
    He was bound to have a bad outing. How is having one bad outing equal to suddenly having a bad Spring!?
    It wasn't a bad outing. It was a horrific outing. I think there is a possibility of an injury.

Turn Off Ads?