Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Great American Ball Park gets makeover

Re: Great American Ball Park gets makeover

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Is there a "new" baseball park that looks any more "redneck" than GABP in centerfield. Personally I think it really looks cheap. One better...I think it looks "John Allen Cheap".
    I love the park. The smoke stacks and riverboat deck make it unique IMO.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I love the park. The smoke stacks and riverboat deck make it unique IMO.
    I love the Riverboat Deck. Probably my favorite part of the stadium, and the smoke stacks tie it together.
    "The guy I think could be really good in center is Adam Dunn. If someone asked me if Dunn could be a center fielder for the next 10 years, if he started working on it, no one could explain to me why he couldn’t do it." - Brad Kullman

Haunted by walks

From the photo posted earlier, it does look a little like a two-story fishing shack, but it's much nicer in person. By the way, I just realized tonight that Ohio State plays in Value City Arena, which is the cheapest-sounding venue ever. Having been in a Value City, I'm not in a position to judge, however.

Speaking of the truck, I thought this was interesting.

Got a great e-mail today from Rick Newkirk. Rick read the article on the Reds official site about the new truck in the outfield, and Rick, thinking like the journalist he is, asked a simple question. Is it possible to hit that truck? So, Rick e-mailed Greg Rybarczyk at HitTrackerOnline.com and asked a simple question -- is it possible for someone to hit the truck and let a fan win a truck? Rybarczyk, who has an engineering degree and spent time in the Navy as nuclear engineer and ship's navigator, studies how far balls really travel. His answer? The truck "might as well be on the moon."

Here's more of his answer:

OK, this was quicker than I expected. Bottom line, don't hold your breath. I marked it at 502 feet horizontally and 65 feet above field level.
    On a calm, 70 degree day, a player would have to hit the ball at 134.5 mph off the bat, which is beyond the realm of possibility using MLB baseballs and MLB bats.
    With a 15 mph tail wind and a 90 degree day, a hit of 122.7 mph would reach the truck. That is in fact possible by someone like Alex Rodriguez, or maybe Wily Mo Pena, but I doubt a lefty could hit one that hard in that direction. Also, at 500 horizontal feet from home plate, that's quite a lucky shot to go in just the right direction. And by the way, last year one homer run was hit at GABP in wind of 15 mph or greater. It just doesn't get that windy at game time there...
    The Reds need to gamble a little and put the truck where it can be reached (check where the Royals have a truck in LCF). So what if someone hits it, it's not that expensive, and will draw lots of interest. As it is, no one's going to think twice about it, it might as well be on the moon...
    Per C. Trent

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

They should put the truck in-between the smoke stacks, and above Griffey's HR countdown.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    For $30, fans get unlimited hot dogs, peanuts, popcorn and soft drinks. The team will also introduce the Meijer family section in the right field box area, in which no alcohol will be permitted. Tickets in the family section will cost $22]

I know where I'm not sitting!
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Put the truck in the OF, drive it around during each at bat.
    Go Gators!

Haunted by walks

Put the truck on first base, because it's all about the OBP.

Nah, the truck is a base clogger
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Speaking of the truck, I thought this was interesting.

Per C. Trent

With the Reds bullpen anything is possible.

Turn Off Ads?