Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Todd Coffey

Todd Coffey

Coffey is being overlooked severely this year mainly because no one is really counting on him after his terrible 2007 season but he's pitched well this spring and with the weight he lost I think he could be a very good pitcher for the bullpen this year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Todd Coffey

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    Coffey is being overlooked severely this year mainly because no one is really counting on him after his terrible 2007 season but he's pitched well this spring and with the weight he lost I think he could be a very good pitcher for the bullpen this year.
    He pitched well - stats wise - last Spring too. Didn't translate well to the Regular Season.

According to him, he was getting away with things last Spring, and is hitting his spots and worked on what he wanted to work on, so it's a much more effective ST this time around, that SHOULD translate.

We will see. IMO, he will be a VERY important piece for us if we're going to contend. The back-end of our pen is pretty solid with Weather/Cordero. The middle guys will be more important - as well as called upon more as Fogg and the rookies will be looking a lot more at 5/6/7 innings for pen work to start.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

As much as Coffey was unlucky last season, I felt that Weathers was LUCKY....I know the guy racked up one of his better seasons....but how many times did the guy go 1-2-3 in the 9th? It seemed as if he was always giving up a leadoff single or 1 out double...not dominant by any stretch.

I'm starting to think Coffey will be needed big time to be a reliable arm from the right side. With Burton struggling Coffey may be the key guy to solidify the bullpen.

Coffey suffers from what my friend, old Post Beat Writer Bill Peterson refers to as a high TPP ratio. That is a high Terd Per Pitch Ratio.

Coffey has great stuff and most of the time dominates the hitter. However, every 20 pitches or so, he throws up a big terd and it gets clobbered. That explains why his peripherals are pretty good and don't match up with his overall performance. He throws 20 great pitches, then a big gopher ball.

I personally think that is the major distinction between mediocre pitchers and great pitchers. Great ones almost never throw a terd, maybe one a game. Pitchers like Coffey throw them up at a much higher rate, more like one or two an inning.

I really like that he is getting into shape and trying to cut down on his weight. It shows that he is dedicated to working to improve and cutting those excess pounds is a sure way to help him.

In the interview tonight with Chris Welsh, Chris commended him for getting down to 245 and Todd corrected him by saying he is now down to 240. He said he is building muscle while losing weight and getting stronger. I also liked his response when Chris asked if it really matters if a relief pitcher is in shape, Todd said that they were professional athletes and they should always be in shape.

Good to hear

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Coffey suffers from what my friend, old Post Beat Writer Bill Peterson refers to as a high TPP ratio. That is a high Terd Per Pitch Ratio.

Coffey has great stuff and most of the time dominates the hitter. However, every 20 pitches or so, he throws up a big terd and it gets clobbered. That explains why his peripherals are pretty good and don't match up with his overall performance. He throws 20 great pitches, then a big gopher ball.

I personally think that is the major distinction between mediocre pitchers and great pitchers. Great ones almost never throw a terd, maybe one a game. Pitchers like Coffey throw them up at a much higher rate, more like one or two an inning.

Could he be on trading block? Maybe to Braves for the catcher from last post. from None

Todd Coffey made me mad so many times last season that I kind of got a little bit sick. However, he is a Red and I will have to like him a little. I hope he can put something together and have a good season. The man throws hard and has been working on different pitches for some time now, lets hope he might be able to put something together. Like I said he throws hard, but big league hitters hit the fastball that is right down the pipe.

If he's able to pull through and get back to his 06 self our bullpen's looking pretty solid with a lot of depth. Now all we need to do is get rid of stanton any way we can!

I think Coffey's the "X" factor. If he can get back to a 3.5 era, and give us good middle relief, we will have a very good bullpen.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Don't forget Bray. If Coffey and Bray both pitch to their potential the bullpen will be huge this year.

Turn Off Ads?