Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Donnie Walsh out...

Donnie Walsh out...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3309745

The Indiana Pacers announced Monday that Donnie Walsh, the team's CEO and president of basketball operations, is leaving the organization.

The news underscores the Pacers' support of team president Larry Bird and his authority in the front office.

Earlier this month, Pacers co-owner Herb Simon made it clear that there would be some sort of upheaval within the organization by season's end, saying "everything but the owner" would be addressed.

In the past few seasons, the Pacers have endured a litany of incidents involving players getting in trouble with the law or behaving badly.

"We're talking about restructuring, rethinking, all the things you do when your team is in crisis," Herb Simon told The Indianapolis Star. "We're going to be having a series of meetings, and we're going to make changes, yes."

Last month, the Pacers faced more unwanted attention with the arrest of a murder suspect after he had been at the home of one player and a reported rape at the home of another.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Donnie Walsh out...

The new Jail Blazers?

Darn shame because the Pacers were at one time a model organization. To bad Donnie took the fall but someone had to!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Let go of the wrong man. I will take Donnie Walsh's resume over Birds any day of the week. The Chuck Person draft pick, Reggie Miller draft pick, Herb Williams for Detlef Shremf, getting the Davis boys, the list goes on and on. Larry Bird comes and all the sudden we become the Bengals of the NBA its just a shame.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

So does he go to the Knicks or the Bucks?
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Indiana Jail Pacers

That has a nice ring to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

So is that article implying that Bird is now going to get a pass? He should get his walking papers as well, IMO.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Let go of the wrong man. I will take Donnie Walsh's resume over Birds any day of the week. The Chuck Person draft pick, Reggie Miller draft pick, Herb Williams for Detlef Shremf, getting the Davis boys, the list goes on and on. Larry Bird comes and all the sudden we become the Bengals of the NBA its just a shame.
    That's right. I think they are selling Donnie down the river. I'm more than willing to give Bird a shot to see what he can do with TOTAL control, however.

You forgot flipping Schrempf for Derrick McKey and signing Byron Scott to be a backup 2 guard in your list of moves, btw. McKey shored up the D and Scott was veteran leadership that that team needed at the time. That team never makes a deep playoff run without those two moves.

And the Jail Pacers comment is a low blow from a bunch of Bengals fans.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    So does he go to the Knicks or the Bucks?
    I'm not too sure the Knicks are going to make a change. Dolan met with Isiah and since then the Knicks are openly tanking. It seems to me the only reason for Thomas to take part in this is if HE gets to use the potential better draft pick.

NY papers seem to think him being gone is a foregone conclusion though, and they claim Walsh and Dolan were scheduled to meet but Walsh pushed it back to talk to Simon first. Now he's freee, so we shall see how the Knicks play it.

Oh, and give me Colangelo if I'm running the Knicks.....
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Jerry West is interested in the Knicks job.

But that owner is too ignorant to make a good decision.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    That's right. I think they are selling Donnie down the river. I'm more than willing to give Bird a shot to see what he can do with TOTAL control, however.

You forgot flipping Schrempf for Derrick McKey and signing Byron Scott to be a backup 2 guard in your list of moves, btw. McKey shored up the D and Scott was veteran leadership that that team needed at the time. That team never makes a deep playoff run without those two moves.

And the Jail Pacers comment is a low blow from a bunch of Bengals fans.
    Donnie did a great job turning an NBA also ran into a finals team and an Eastern conference power. I personally think that the team turning into the Bengals of the NBA has more todo with Larry than Donnie. Every move that Bird has been involved with has been bad save for Carlysle being hired.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I fully agree. Donnie was the wrong man to let go. Bird has no proven track record with drafting and personnel decisions, particularly of high character guys. However, he means a lot to Indiana and basketball in general and I think that is why he is being kept. It's a shame. Give me Donny 8 days a week.

Also, I think Donnie ends up in NY. He's from NY originally and I think he'd help turn around the Knicks and would be the one to maybe cut ties with Isiah so Dolan can keep true to his word (since he won't be doing the firing). Kind of what Bird was brought into to do with the Pacers during his tenure because Donny said he would not fire Isiah and that his job was fine.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 03-24-2008 at 08:00 PM.

ESPN reports that Walsh will go to the Knicks effective at the end of this season. 3 years - $15M.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    ESPN reports that Walsh will go to the Knicks effective at the end of this season. 3 years - $15M.
    Is it just me, or does that seem like too much money for somebody other than a player or coach?
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Donnie Walsh's expected arrival at Madison Square Garden might not guarantee Isiah Thomas' exit as New York Knicks coach.

The New York Daily News, citing an unnamed source, reported Thursday that owner James Dolan's preference is to keep Thomas on the sidelines, even after he hires a successor to Thomas to run the organization.

"There isn't a basketball executive alive who would keep Isiah as head coach, but Jim is telling whoever he interviews, 'I would prefer to keep Isiah but you do what you have to do,'" the source close to Dolan told the Daily News. "If Isiah isn't the coach, Jim still wants him to stay in the organization in some capacity."

Walsh, who announced this week that he is leaving the Pacers organization at the end of this season, is expected to sign a three-year, $15 million contract with New York at the end of this season to oversee their basketball operations division, a source told ESPN on Monday.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3314942

Turn Off Ads?