Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Coach K American Express Commercial...

Re: New Coach K American Express Commercial...

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    As much as I hate Duke, I am actually going to find myself defending them. Duke does operate on a different playing field than any other nationally competitive basketball school (with the exception of Stanford). Recruits actually have to get admitted to Duke, which is not an easy task. Needless to say, that cuts the pool of possible players for Coach K by 1/2 at least.
    I was in school at Vanderbilt when Nashville native Ron Mercer was declined admission to our fine institution. So he ends up at UK. Sweet.

JP Prince also wanted to come to Vanderbilt when he left Arizona. Vanderbilt doesn't take mid-year transfers of any kind, so they weren't about to make an exception for a basketball player. So he ends up at UT. Sweet.

And yes, I think the Dookie NBAers could whup the UK NBAers pretty soundly. The primary advantage the UK NBAers would have would be at head coach -- Pat Riley.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Brand is injured so I like our chances against him

Boozer/Brand combo would be too much to handle. However, we would have the defensive edge by a landslide.

http://www.slate.com/id/101920/

Earlier this month, the San Jose Mercury News, examining data from 1994-97 (the last four-year period the NCAA used for documentation of grades and test scores), found that freshmen entering Duke on basketball scholarships during that period had an average SAT score of 968. The average SAT score for Duke's freshman class as a whole is generally in the high 1300s.

If all this sounds rather ho-hum and familiar, that's the point. Duke, for all the hoopla, isn't immune to the various ills plaguing college athletics—from compromised academic standards in admissions to student-athletes misbehaving once they are admitted. Duke probably doesn't cut as many corners as the Fresno States of the world, but it's not a bastion of purity, either.
    It's dated (couldn't find more recent number in the few free seconds I have at work), but let's not fool ourselves into thinking that Coach K has to recruit players that meet the full admissions requirements of the university. That's just naive.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    http://www.slate.com/id/101920/

It's dated (couldn't find more recent number in the few free seconds I have at work), but let's not fool ourselves into thinking that Coach K has to recruit players that meet the full admissions requirements of the university. That's just naive.
    All universities do that though. There are no basketball programs in the NCAA that could keep a great basketball team, year in, and year out, only taking people with 1300 SATs.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

If I had to assemble a team from each school:

PG-Chris Duhon
    SG-Corey Magette
    SF-Shane Battier
    PF-Carlos Boozer
    C-Elton Brand

Bench=Mike Dunleavy, JJ Redick, Shelden Williams, Grant Hill, Luol Deng

PG-Rajon Rondo
    SG-Keith Bogans
    SF-Tayshaun Prince
    PF-Antoine Walker
    C-Nazr Mohammed

Bench=Jamal Mashburn, Jamaal Magloire, Chuck Hayes, Gerald Fitch, Erik Daniels

I think I would take Duke, sadly. However, put either team against an all-UNC team and its not even close.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    All universities do that though. There are no basketball programs in the NCAA that could keep a great basketball team, year in, and year out, only taking people with 1300 SATs.
    I'm not saying other universities don't, but to say that Coach K has to worry about getting these kids admitted as though it's another obstacle isn't exactly fair, is my point.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I think I would take Duke, sadly. However, put either team against an all-UNC team and its not even close.
    That would be Carter, Stackhouse, Sheed, and a bunch of young guys wouldn't it?

UNC:
    Vince Carter, New Jersey Nets
    Raymond Felton, Charlotte Bobcats
    Brendan Haywood, Washington Wizards
    Antawn Jamison, Washington Wizards
    Sean May, Charlotte Bobcats
    Rashad McCants, Minnesota Timberwolves
    Jeff McInnis, Charlotte Bobcats
    David Noel, Milwaukee Bucks
    Jerry Stackhouse, Dallas Mavericks
    Rasheed Wallace, Detroit Pistons
    Marvin Williams, Atlanta Hawks
    Brandan Wright, Golden State Warriors

Duke:
    Shane Battier, Houston Rockets
    Carlos Boozer, Utah Jazz
    Elton Brand, Los Angeles Clippers
    Luol Deng, Chicago Bulls
    Chris Duhon, Chicago Bulls
    Mike Dunleavy, Indiana Pacers
    Grant Hill, Phoenix Suns
    Corey Maggette, Los Angeles Clippers
    Josh McRoberts, Portland Trail Blazers
    Shavlik Randolph, Philadelphia 76ers
    J.J. Redick, Orlando Magic
    Shelden Williams, Atlanta Hawks

UK:
    Derek Anderson
    Kelenna Azubuike
    Keith Bogans
    Chuck Hayes
    Jamaal Magloire
    Nazr Mohammed
    Randolph Morris
    Tayshaun Prince
    Rajon Rondo
    Antoine Walker

All you Kentucky fans -- Woo Obrzut is in the DLeague, Wayne Turner is still playing in New Zealand, Sheray Thomas in Switzerland, Erik Daniels, Antoine Barbour, Hesimu Evans and Scott Padgett in Spain, Cliff Hawkins and Marquis Estill in Japan, Jules Camara is in Korea, Andre Riddick is in Belgium, Pat-Pat Sparks is in Germany, and Gerald Fitch is in Italy.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 03-25-2008 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Nah, I'm good. I'm over getting pissed at Wilymo for ripping Duke. He proved with the "flagrant foul" thing that he's going to only see things one way. No reason to argue.

This "commercial" actually gave me a nice chuckle. Although I have to make one point (even though it's against my better judgment of letting things go and what not). I think a team of Duke players in The Association would whoop a team of current NBA Kentucky players ass. :evil:
    I was watching some of the Wizards' game tonight and I don't know why but I thought about this. I knew we had a thread on it, just took some looking.

I think UK may have an edge now. Duke still doesn't have a good PG. Wall and Rondo would give them a lot of problems. I still think Duke has a nice edge inside, but I don't think that would be enough.

I will say that Redick would probably start for the Duke side now, he's turned himself into a much better NBAer than I ever thought he'd be.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Dang, you sure dug this one up from the grave.

Team UK dominates now.

Blast from the past!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Team UK dominates now.
    No way. Team Duke still has Mike Dunleavy!

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Team UK dominates now.
    I don't know about dominating but they're better. Deng is a better pro than most thought he would be and Boozer is also still an all star.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?