Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ohio State vs. Dayton

Re: Ohio State vs. Dayton

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    But the RPI argument doesn't explain the handful of other cupcakes usually on Ohio State's schedule like Presbyterian, Norfolk State, VMI, Columbia, etc. Why can they afford to play those teams and not in-state teams like Dayton, Xavier, UC, OU, etc? That game had such a great energy to it, it's a shame they don't consider playing more like that.
    I agree that it's much better from a fan's standpoint to see games against the likes of xavier, UC UD, etc., but the reason they play those cupcakes is because they do not require a return visit. They are home only games and merely money makers.

From OSU's viewpoint though, I don't agree with it. Teams like xavier, UC, and UD only strengthens your RPI and SOS numbers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I agree that it's much better from a fan's standpoint to see games against the likes of xavier, UC UD, etc., but the reason they play those cupcakes is because they do not require a return visit. They are home only games and merely money makers.

From OSU's viewpoint though, I don't agree with it. Teams like xavier, UC, and UD only strengthens your RPI and SOS numbers.
    I don't see how any of these arguments hold up. Like they said in the broadcast last night, Ohio has become the best state in the nation for college basektball, but outside of UC/X there are really no natural rivalries and no one plays each other.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Ohio has become the best state in the nation for college basektball

Ohio teams in the 2008 NCAA Tourney: 2
    Kentucky: 3
    Tennessee: 5

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure Indiana, Texas, and Cali all had more than 2 as well.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post

Ohio teams in the 2008 NCAA Tourney: 2
    Kentucky: 3
    Tennessee: 5

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure Indiana, Texas, and Cali all had more than 2 as well.
    Indiana had 4. Texas had 4 as well, I believe.

Well it wasn't my quote it was from the annoucer last night, but year in and year out though Ohio is going to be among if not the best.
    Ohio State, Xavier, Dayton, UC, Miami, Kent State have pretty good track records.

It's true only 2 teams from Ohio made it this year but Ohio State was very close and Dayton would have been in if not for an injury. I except UC to be right back in the picture in the next two years.

My guess is Ohio State not wanting to play these in state regular season games has nothing to do with RPI or money. They see themselves as Big Bad State U. and playing those games is a no-win proposition. If they win, that's what they are supposed to do, they are Big Bad State U. If they lose, it is embarrassing and a shot to the ego and their position in the state...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    My guess is Ohio State not wanting to play these in state regular season games has nothing to do with RPI or money. They see themselves as Big Bad State U. and playing those games is a no-win proposition. If they win, that's what they are supposed to do, they are Big Bad State U. If they lose, it is embarrassing and a shot to the ego and their position in the state...
    Whatever the % of the real reason is attributed to the above is what drives me crazy. I am sure whT RF says above accounts for it on at least some level. But really, there is no trophy given to the best college hoops team in Ohio (that I know of anyway). I so wish they would look at the opponent for the quality of opponent and scheduled some home and homes like they did with Florida. I do understand though that some of the time the coach likes to get the kids to go to some slightly different location when they schedule those types of games. Not sure how much that plays into things, but regardless, I would like to see regular games with X, UC, Dayton (not all 3 at once, but 1 or 2).
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Turn Off Ads?