Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bengals Rumors

Bengals Rumors

I found most of this pretty surprising, so I thought I'd share. From Big C Pro Football:

Bengals at the center of trade rumors
    By Carlos "Big C" Holmes
    Cox News Service
    March 23, 2008

With the NFL draft a little more than a month away, trade rumors are running rampant throughout the league and the Cincinnati Bengals seem to be in the thick of things. The Bengals, who have missed out on signing some key free agents including three of their own, have been the subject of conversation when it comes to these rumors.

Interest in Alexander

There have been reports that the Bengals could have an interest in Seattle Seahawks RB Shaun Alexander whose future with the club appears to be in jeopardy. The Seahawks replenished their backfield this offseason with the signing of free agent running backs T.J. Duckett and Julius Jones. This could be a sign that Alexander is on his way out.

Alexander is due to make $4.475 million in base salary for the ’08 season and would count $6.75 million against the Seahawks’ salary cap. Based on those figures alone Alexander is likely to be a salary cap casualty unless he agrees to restructure his contract.

Alexander turns 31 years old in August and his numbers have been declining for the past two seasons. Not many teams would be willing to pay top dollar for an injury-prone, has-been running back.

Dump Rudi?

Word on the street is that the Bengals are looking to jump start their running game after a lackluster performance by RB Rudi Johnson in the ’07 season ... not to mention the chunk of change he stands to make in ’08. The Bengals may look to dump Rudi and the $3.2 million he is scheduled to make this season. Bottom line, Rudi could be a post-June 1 release.

Alexander may not be the answer for the Bengals, but another back might.

Will they move up?

Rumors are circulating that the Bengals may consider moving up the draft board to select Arkansas RB Darren McFadden if he slips past the Oakland Raiders who sit at the No. 4 slot.

McFadden’s stock is said to be dipping a bit, but no way does he fall to No. 9 where the Bengals currently pick. In order to secure a legitimate shot at McFadden, the Bengals would have to leapfrog the New York Jets at No. 6 who love him like a fat kid loves cake.

Bengal fans shouldn’t be at all surprised if the team opts to choose a running back with their first selection rather than address a more obvious need like defensive tackle or offensive tackle.

The team went against the popular consensus in the 2004 draft when they selected Michigan RB Chris Perry. History could repeat itself if the cards play out in the Bengals’ favor on draft day.

Keep in mind that Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis is a firm believer that if you always draft by need at some point you’re going to get your feelings hurt. You know what, he’s right.

Fans, don’t get all caught up in the draft hype that the Bengals are eyeing one of the premiere D-tackles in the first-round because you may get your feelings hurt.

Rumors of the Bengals trading WR Chad Johnson to the St. Louis Rams in return for WR Torry Holt and a draft pick are just that. Rams head coach Scott Linehan quickly put the kibosh on any trade scenario involving the team’s star receiver about a week ago.

“There’s no interest, no discussions about trading Torry Holt,” Linehan said. “He’s on our team, we want him on our team, and I hope he feels the same way.”

Out of all the trade rumors linked to the flamboyant Johnson, I find this one to be the most intriguing. Holt is a very fine receiver and a class act to boot. He’s a leader in the locker room as well as on the field and is a consummate professional. The best word to describe Holt is unselfish. He would be a welcome addition in Cincinnati.

Although Holt is nearly two years older than Johnson, he’s an extremely hard worker and has kept himself in tip-top shape. Talking to those within the Rams organization who know him best said that Holt is showing no signs of slowing down.

Front office change

Whispers are that there may be a change in the way the Bengals organization conducts their ironclad business. Some people may describe the team’s current negotiating practice as being cheap, but I’m sure the Bengals front office views it much differently. I think they like to call it smart money management.

Either way changes are expected to be made at the top and are believed to be for the betterment of the organization.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bengals Rumors

Who wants Alexander? He's not good behind an arguibly better offensive line in Seattle. He's just be a slower version of Rudi.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Hopefully those rumors are just that, rumors. Getting Alexander would be an awful pickup. And while I think McFadden is really good, I still think it'd be a huge mistake to take a RB with the first pick.

I do want the Bengals to dump Rudi though. That's a very important move to get this offense back on the right track.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I would love to have Tory Holt for Chad Johnson, and that last section is intriguing. Sounds like Mike Brown might be giving up some control. I'll believe that when I see it.

I had hoped the Bengals would've drafted Sean Alexander or Jamal Lewis in 2000 instead of Peter Warrick, and sent Cory Dillon packing. It was just a few weeks before that draft that Dillon made his famous "burger flipping" comment, and I wanted him out of here. Unfortunately, Dillon went nowhere and neither will Chad.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I would love to have Tory Holt for Chad Johnson, and that last section is intriguing. Sounds like Mike Brown might be giving up some control. I'll believe that when I see it.

I had hoped the Bengals would've drafted Sean Alexander or Jamal Lewis in 2000 instead of Peter Warrick, and sent Cory Dillon packing. It was just a few weeks before that draft that Dillon made his famous "burger flipping" comment, and I wanted him out of here. Unfortunately, Dillon went nowhere and neither will Chad.
    The Bengals offered Dillon to the Seahawks for the draft pick to take Alexander, but the Seahawks decided to take Alexander for themselves.

The only advantage I see in signing Alexander is that he is a local player. He is on the downside of his career and really wouldn't take time away from the Kenny's.

McFadden though is a game changing back who I think will compare well with LT. He has more power than Reggie Bush and he does well receiving the ball. Get everything squared away with Chad and TJ and this would be a deadly offense.

But is it worth it at the expense of our defense?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

The Holt/Chad trade talk is just silly really.

But this quote gives me hope that I did not have:

Front office change

Whispers are that there may be a change in the way the Bengals organization conducts their ironclad business. Some people may describe the team’s current negotiating practice as being cheap, but I’m sure the Bengals front office views it much differently. I think they like to call it smart money management.

Either way changes are expected to be made at the top and are believed to be for the betterment of the organization.
    Making some notable changes in the front office would go a looong way to getting fans back, guys like Chad back, and are also likely requested by Marvin if he's going to stay long term.

As for McFadden? Character questions, smallish, reminds me of Reggie Bush - not necessarily a bad thing - but I don't know that he holds up as a feature back in the NFL - which is utterly brutal on RB's more so than ever.

I think you should concentrate on developing an out-standing o-line and acquire 2-3 good Rb's who can fit your system with upside.

Putting all of your chips into one RB these days just seems foolish - they get hurt way too much and when they're hurt - if you don't have a couple of other realistic options - you're screwed.

And the Bengals' o-line is sorely in need of some real talent, ecspecially on the interior.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    The Holt/Chad trade talk is just silly really.

But this quote gives me hope that I did not have:

Making some notable changes in the front office would go a looong way to getting fans back, guys like Chad back, and are also likely requested by Marvin if he's going to stay long term.

As for McFadden? Character questions, smallish, reminds me of Reggie Bush - not necessarily a bad thing - but I don't know that he holds up as a feature back in the NFL - which is utterly brutal on RB's more so than ever.

I think you should concentrate on developing an out-standing o-line and acquire 2-3 good Rb's who can fit your system with upside.

Putting all of your chips into one RB these days just seems foolish - they get hurt way too much and when they're hurt - if you don't have a couple of other realistic options - you're screwed.

And the Bengals' o-line is sorely in need of some real talent, ecspecially on the interior.
    When it comes to changes in the Bengals FO, don't count on anything until it actually happens. What with global warming, there have been more changes in the earth's glaciers over the last 10 years than there have been in the way the Bengals do business.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    When it comes to changes in the Bengals FO, don't count on anything until it actually happens. What with global warming, there have been more changes in the earth's glaciers over the last 10 years than there have been in the way the Bengals do business.
    Yeah, I know, I know. Just the mere mention of it in some non-descript rumor mill section from somewhere, is at least something I can grab onto for some slim ray of hope I guess.

Just to update this previous rumor about Alexander today the Seahawks released Alexander.

KIRKLAND, Wash. -- The Seattle Seahawks released former MVP Shaun Alexander, just 26 months after he signed a $62 million contract as the franchise's cornerstone.

Running On Empty?

Shaun Alexander has lost a step the past two seasons. The running back's numbers are down considerably from his MVP season in 2005.

Seahawks president Tim Ruskell said Tuesday the team released Alexander unconditionally hours after the running back passed a physical. It's been a rapid fall for the 30-year-old. When he signed that mammoth deal, he was coming off an MVP season in 2005 and a Super Bowl appearance. Now he's looking for work, coming off of two unimpressive and injury filled seasons.

"Yeah, it's sad, really," Ruskell said after announcing a move that had been expected in Seattle for six weeks, since the signings of free agent running backs Julius Jones and T.J. Duckett. "He's been such an upstanding guy through my whole tenure here. I don't think we have that Super Bowl run if it wasn't for Shaun.

"It shows you have tough this game is, how ever-changing it is, how you can't play forever. ... You just can't do it."

Alexander will try again in 2008. The three-time Pro Bowl runner, whose last two seasons have been his worst, said he is not retiring.

"I will be playing for another NFL team this fall, and doing everything I can to contribute," said Alexander, who ran for just 716 yards in 13 games last season -- his lowest total since he replaced Ricky Watters as Seattle's lead back in 2001.

"I am healthy, energized and looking forward to beginning the next chapter of my NFL career," he said.

"My family will remain in the Seattle area, and when my days in the NFL do eventually come to an end, I plan to retire here. Our hearts are woven into the fabric of this community, we are blessed to be part of it, and we enjoy contributing to it in every way we can. Thank you, Seattle."

The Seahawks were waiting for Alexander's broken left wrist to heal before releasing him. He played the final 15 games of the regular season plus January's playoffs wearing a cast on that. Tuesday morning doctors declared the 19th overall draft choice in 2000 fully healthy to participate in minicamps this spring.

Hours later, he was unemployed and released from the eight-year contract he signed weeks after the 2006 Super Bowl, which agent Jim Steiner at the time said was the richest ever for an NFL running back.

That season Alexander set an NFL record with 28 touchdowns and a franchise record with 1,880 yards rushing. Then he severely bruised his left foot while getting tackled in the 2006 opener. He kept playing on it and soon broke it, the first major injury of his football career, and missed six games. Last season, he broke his left wrist in Week 1. In November, he missed three games with a sprained left knee.

The cutback lanes he used to create began closing on him faster than he could run. His trademark hesitation, which used to deftly set up blocks, suddenly just invited defenders to swarm him in place -- and his home fans to boo him. Coach Mike Holmgren said the injuries and Alexander simply having nowhere to run were the reasons for his steep decline.

He was scheduled to earn $4,475,000 this season on a deal that many around the league questioned at the time it was signed because 30 is an age at running backs' have historically slipped -- sometimes dramatically.

"The contract was set up that you wanted to get at least three years," Ruskell said. "So we didn't get there. That part is disappointing.

"I thought because Shaun had not been injured through his career, playing the odds I said ... 'If you are going to bet on a guy, bet on a guy who's not been hurt or had that propensity.' That was the case with Shaun."

Ruskell said the Seahawks haven't decided whether to make Alexander a June 1 cut, which could save them money against this season's salary cap, or have all $6.9 million of his prorated signing bonus count this year by dating the transaction before June 1. Ruskell said Seattle is in good enough of a position under the cap to make the move in either manner.

"While it really isn't a surprise, this news marks a major transition in my life," Alexander said. "I started my NFL career in Seattle and hoped I could remain with the team through the rest of my days as a player. "That said, things change."

For both sides.

"This is one of the toughest decisions I'll ever have to make," Ruskell said. "By the same token, you have to be able to make these tough decisions. We wanted to change the dynamic of the running game, from top to bottom."

As for McFadden? Character questions...
    Ding, ding, ding. I think this is the single biggest reason the Bengals don't even sniff McFadden.

McFadden's character questions are being extremely exaggerated and anyone with a brain should realize that.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    McFadden's character questions are being extremely exaggerated and anyone with a brain should realize that.
    We're talking about Mike Brown.

We're talking about Mike Brown.
    That is a valid point..

Yeah, I doubt McFadden has any issues in the NFL. I would love to have him, even if we need defensive players more.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    Are you saying I don't have a brain? :thumbdown

I am a Bengals fan, so maybe that explains it.

Turn Off Ads?