Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Murton on his way out with the Cubs.

Murton on his way out with the Cubs.

from rotoworld

he Cubs have decided to go with Ronny Cedeno and Mike Fontenot over Matt Murton and Alex Cintron for the final two spots on their bench.
    A Murton trade would be best for all parties.
    seems like he would be a superior option to the loser of a Freel/Hopper battle.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Murton on his way out with the Cubs.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    seems like he would be a superior option to the loser of a Freel/Hopper battle.
    I think he would be an upgrade. Freel would probably need to be traded away first.

Wow. Cedeno and Fontenot over Murton is beyond stupid. He'd be a nice RH backup in LF and RF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

How can a career .296/.365/.455 hitter not find a job? Crazy.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

He's not apt for RF and definitely not CF. He can cover some ground, but his arm is horrible. He's a decent bench option, but nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    He's not apt for RF and definitely not CF. He can cover some ground, but his arm is horrible. He's a decent bench option, but nothing more.
    He certainly has more pop than Freel/Hopper which makes him better in a reserve role.

Didn't him and Dusty have some issues when they were in Chicago together?

1. A Freel for Murton trade would have helped both clubs. The Cubs likely don't need Freel now that they have signed Reed Johnson.

2. I would still LOVE to have Murton since all our power hitting outfielders hit lefty. Heck, we could also give him a mitt and a crash course at 1B.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

And the Cubs wonder why it's been 100 years....

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    He certainly has more pop than Freel/Hopper which makes him better in a reserve role.
    He has more pop, but he's not a good fielder. It also assumes that Freel/Hopper can/will be moved. As I said, Murton would make a fantastic bench option, but not much more.

838 ABs
    28 doubles
    38 doubles
    5 3B
    98 RBI
    124 R
    .296/.365/.455

How does that get somebody sent to AAA? He doesn't do anything that really stands out to you, but he certainly is a solid option as a 4th outfielder.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Some other small move were made today:

The Rockies traded RHP Ramon Ramirez to the Royals for a PTBNL. That's a guy I wish the Reds had went after. He struggled a bit last year but in '06 he pitched 67.2 innings with the Rockies and allowed only 58 hits with a 27 bb/61 k ratio and a 3.46 ERA out of the bullpen. Plus it would give the Reds two Ramon Ramirez' and two Drew Andersons.

In addition to that move the Royals traded C/1B Justin Huber to the Padres for a PTBNL. Huber has a career .288/.383/.495 career minor league line. That's another guy I'd like to have seen brought in as a RH power bat off the bench.

I'm pretty sure Lou Pinella has a reason for this. You don't win a World Series and a 100 games in a season a couple of other times and not know what you are doing.

If Murton doesn't fit Lou has a reason.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Is it just me or does Murton seem like a second coming of Jeff Conine? Almost the exact same skill set. Even built the same way. His body might not be as young though...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    I'm pretty sure Lou Pinella has a reason for this. You don't win a World Series and a 100 games in a season a couple of other times and not know what you are doing.

If Murton doesn't fit Lou has a reason.
    You could say the same thing about a 3 time manager of the year.

Turn Off Ads?