Turn Off Ads?

Thread: BP did a state of the systems NL Central today

BP did a state of the systems NL Central today

not to give too much away, but one thing i found very interesting. they do odds on who will be the reds number one prospect going into next season and this years first round pick is the favorite, with Duran a close second, followed by Frazier, Stubbs, Lotzkar, Francisco, and Soto.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=7268

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: BP did a state of the systems NL Central today

I think Francisco's about to have a breakout season. Just have a feeling this could be his year. Maybe he won't be the #1 prospect, but hopefully will open some eyes this year.

Hey, welcome to the board Johnny Cueto!

I hope you're right about Francisco. He's got enormous power potential but he really needs to learn some plate discipline or he'll get eaten alive by more advanced pitching in the upper levels. He's still young so there is some hope.

That is some seriours depth in prospects, not to mention that all but Fransisco are Kriv guys, no more giving the credit to Bowden and O'Brien

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    That is some seriours depth in prospects, not to mention that all but Fransisco are Kriv guys, no more giving the credit to Bowden and O'Brien
    The depth is from Krivsky, but the 4 best prospects in the system are all from before him (Bowden-Votto, Obrien -Bailey, Cueto and Bruce).

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    Depth or lack thereof? It's a little scary that their most recent first round DP (15th overall) isn't projected to crack the top 7.

Based on the last 2 first round draft picks and BP's rating of the system I find it odd that they would give the pole position to the 1st rounder to be named later. The last 2 are, in their eyes, 4th and above 7th.

as far as the first round pick this year goes, The top 8-9 players in the draft are just really really good. It isn't saying that the other guys are bad but just how good whomever we draft will be.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Depth or lack thereof? It's a little scary that their most recent first round DP (15th overall) isn't projected to crack the top 7.

Based on the last 2 first round draft picks and BP's rating of the system I find it odd that they would give the pole position to the 1st rounder to be named later. The last 2 are, in their eyes, 4th and above 7th.
    I think Mesoraco will be in the top 7 prospects by years end. He has all the tools and despite his atrocious batting line last year, he is a decently polished hitter with a good understanding of the strikezone as a batter.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think Mesoraco will be in the top 7 prospects by years end. He has all the tools and despite his atrocious batting line last year, he is a decently polished hitter with a good understanding of the strikezone as a batter.
    agreed. Devin was playing everyday as a catcher learning the ropes. also, coming from pennsylvania, playing everyday in the heat i bet took a toll on him. im more concerned with him learning the ropes defensively in his first few years. i want him playing great defense and calling great games for Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, Lotzkar, etc in the years to come.
    Last edited by RDriesenUD; 03-28-2008 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
    agreed. Devin was plaing everyday as a catcher learning the ropes. also, coming from pennsylvania, playing everday in the heat i bet took a toll on him. im more concerned with him learning the ropes defensively in his first few years. i want him playing great defense and calling great games for Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, Lotzkar, etc in the years to come.
    Yeah, at that position, defense certainly comes first.

That should be true for the big leagues as well - no shining light offensively but catches a great game.

Turn Off Ads?