Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Astros Release Woody Williams

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Astros Release Woody Williams

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...D8VN95N80.html

RHP Williams says he plans to retire after release by Astros
    03/29/2008

Right-hander Woody Williams was released by the Houston Astros on Saturday and said he planned to retire.

The 41-year-old Williams is owed $6.5 million from the two-year, $12.5 million contract he signed with the Astros before last season. He was 8-15 with a 5.27 ERA in 2007, and his ERA this spring was 11.32.

I wonder why the Reds can't find these pitchers who are willing to retire when the time comes.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Astros Release Woody Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post

I wonder why the Reds can't find these pitchers who are willing to retire when the time comes.
    Would you if you were offered a multi-million multi-year deal that you don't deserve, and also knowing you'll make that multi-million whether you pitch or not?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

He retired because the Astros released him. He'll still get all his money.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    He retired because the Astros released him. He'll still get all his money.
    Then knowing the Astros are sending over $6M to Woody should make Bob Castellini feel better about sending checks to Mike Stanton.
    /r/reds

Then knowing the Astros are sending over $6M to Woody should make Bob Castellini feel better about sending checks to Mike Stanton.
    If your house was burned to the ground would you fell better about your house burning down if you neighbors more expensive house also burned down?

Quote Originally Posted by 4256 Hits View Post
    If your house was burned to the ground would you fell better about your house burning down if you neighbors more expensive house also burned down?
    No, and IMO that analogy misses the point. If we want the Reds owner to be less reluctant to pay players who have no business being on the roster, we need to look for every possible way to encourage that behavior.
    /r/reds

No, and IMO that analogy misses the point. If we want the Reds owner to be less reluctant to pay players who have no business being on the roster, we need to look for every possible way to encourage that behavior.
    I do see what you are trying to say is that Bob needs to realize that eating contracts is part of owning a MLB team. But I don't think it makes him feel any better about having to do it.

I hoped he ripped Wayne a new one for having to do it. The Reds just don't have enough revenue to be giving out such terrible contracts.

Speaking of eating a contract Gibbons was just released by Baltimore:

Jay Gibbons was released Sunday by the Baltimore Orioles, who lost patience waiting for the oft-injured outfielder to regain the form that enabled him to hit 26 home runs in 2005.

Gibbons batted .189 with no homers and four RBIs in 16 games this spring training after playing in only 84 games last season. Baltimore owes him $11.9 million for the next two season as part of a $21.1 million, four-year contract he agreed to in January 2006.
    That has to hurt.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Haunted by walks

There ought to be something a player could do for the money, take tickets, serve drinks in the stadium club, join the grounds crew ...

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    There ought to be something a player could do for the money...
    How about send a large thank you card to the Players Union?

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    How about send a large thank you card to the Players Union?
    And Balco.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?