Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canseco fingers A-Rod in upcoming 'roid book

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Canseco fingers A-Rod in upcoming 'roid book

Report: Canseco claims introducing A-Rod, steroids distributor
    ESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- Jose Canseco says in his new book that he introduced Alex Rodriguez to a steroids distributor and that A-Rod pursued Canseco's wife, according to the Web site of freelance writer Joe Lavin.

Lavin says on his Web site that he obtained the book, "Vindicated: Big Names, Big Liars, and The Battle to Save Baseball," on Monday from a bookstore in Cambridge, Mass. The book is due to be released April 1.

Lavin writes Canseco's book discusses A-Rod, Roger Clemens and Magglio Ordonez.

He says Canseco claimed he didn't inject Rodriguez but "introduced Alex to a known supplier of steroids." Lavin also says "Canseco claims that A-Rod was trying to sleep with Canseco's wife."

"I really, absolutely, have no reaction," Rodriguez said Tuesday when asked about the claim relating to the steroids distributor. As far as the allegation regarding Canseco's wife, Rodriguez responded: "I don't know how to answer that."

Canseco also writes about the infamous June 1998 party at his house. Brian McNamee, Clemens' former trainer, has said Clemens spoke with Canseco at the barbecue and soon after approached the trainer about using performance-enhancing drugs. According to Lavin, Canseco wrote that Clemens did not attend.

Earlier this year, Canseco gave an affidavit to congressional investigators stating Clemens was not there and that he had never seen Clemens "use, possess or ask for steroids or human growth hormone." The affidavit is part of the evidence gathered by the congressional committee looking at drugs in baseball.

Lavin wrote the Ordonez reference was "that old yarn of one player injecting another with steroids, possibly in the buttocks." Canseco and Ordonez were teammates on the 2001 Chicago White Sox.

The New York Times reported in January that Canseco offered to keep Ordonez "clear" in the book if the Detroit outfielder invested in a movie project promoted by Canseco, claims Lavin said Canseco wrote he denies.

Earlier this month, the New York Daily News reported the federal government was hoping to arrange a face-to-face meeting between Canseco and IRS special agent Jeff Novitzky, its lead steroids investigator, when his upcoming book tour stops in San Francisco.

Novitzky reportedly wants to talk to Canseco as part of the federal investigation into performance-enhancing drugs in sports.

Canseco, who will visit six cities while promoting his second steroids-related book "Vindicated," will be in San Francisco, where Novitzky is headquartered, on April 9 and 10.

The release of the book, to be published by Simon Spotlight Entertainment, is to coincide with Canseco's scheduled appearances on ABC's "Nightline" on March 31 and the Howard Stern show on the day of the book's release.

"Vindicated" is the follow-up to Canseco's 2005 book "Juiced: Wild Times, Rampant 'Roids, Smash Hits and How Baseball Got Big." The book, which described his steroids use and implicated Mark McGwire, among others, rocked Major League Baseball.

Canseco initially was to collaborate with former Sports Illustrated associate editor Don Yaeger on "Vindicated," but Yaeger passed on the project, telling the Daily News in January that Canseco didn't have enough goods on Rodriguez.

"I had a chance to review the Jose Canseco [material] that he provided me. I don't think there's a book there," Yaeger told the newspaper. "I don't think he's got what he claims to have, certainly doesn't have what he claims to have on A-Rod."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Canseco fingers A-Rod in upcoming 'roid book

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    He says Canseco claimed he didn't inject Rodriguez but "introduced Alex to a known supplier of steroids." Lavin also says "Canseco claims that A-Rod was trying to sleep with Canseco's wife."

"I really, absolutely, have no reaction," Rodriguez said Tuesday when asked about the claim relating to the steroids distributor. As far as the allegation regarding Canseco's wife, Rodriguez responded: "I don't know how to answer that."
    Let me help, Alex.

"Jose is crazy, I was too busy hitting on that chick up in Toronto."

Allegedly.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

That was a bad answer by A-Rod.

That's an interesting title.

Must be a different type of book than Jose's last one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let me help, Alex.

"Jose is crazy, I was too busy hitting on that chick up in Toronto."

Allegedly.
    IIRC, she was very easy on the eyes.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

This kind of innuendo would be like a gut-punch to A-Rod's whispered hope of running for public office someday, if it wasn't coming from someone with so little credibility.
    /r/reds

Pretend this never happened.
    Last edited by Gainesville Red; 03-26-2008 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Probably inappropriate.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    This kind of innuendo would be like a gut-punch to A-Rod's whispered hope of running for public office someday, if it wasn't coming from someone with so little credibility.
    Everyone said the same thing after his last book - openly mocking Jose when he fingered stand up guys like Rafael Palmeiro as juicers.

I'd take his word with a little more credence than the last time around.

Although I do wonder why the first potential author took a pass.

I wonder why he would write a new book at all....if this stuff was true, why not put it in the first book? Why two books? Are more coming?

Whether this stuff is true or not, it feels just plain slimy....again.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    I wonder why he would write a new book at all....
    Exactly.

I can think of some reasons:
    1. $
    2. $
    3. $
    4. $
    5. $

Basically he will say whatever it takes to sell some books and make some cold hard cash.

I couldn't care less what Jose Canseco has to say.

I saw Canseco last month with a young lady who looked a lot like his ex wife. Don't blame Rodriguez at all. She caused more of a stir than Canseco did.............

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    That was a bad answer by A-Rod.
    Is there any good answer to something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Is there any good answer to something like this?
    I will see you in court Jose, Im going to sue you for every penny you have, is a good start unless there's some truth in there.

If he only said he "introduced" A-Rod to a known supplier, then I suspect A-Rod can't deny that at all, as an introduction could be simply "Here's so and so" and a hand-shake. Even if A-Rod doesn't remember every person he meets, all Canseco has to do is find some guy who does remember meeting Rodriguez. "Introducing" probably would not be hard for Jose to prove it had happened.

And the story about him trying to sleep with Jose's wife - is that enough to threaten a suit over? Maybe Alex smiled when he met her and Jose interpreted that as flirting. A stretch? Certainly, but is it enough to sue over, especially given the allegations of Rodriquez' behavior in Toronto. Does Alex want to make his personal life that public, with a lawsuit?

I'm just not sure (based on this review of the book) that there's enough there even to threaten a suit. It might open Rodriguez' life to the public more than he wants

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I will see you in court Jose, Im going to sue you for every penny you have, is a good start unless there's some truth in there.

There's something about the title to this thread that I find a bit unsettling.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?