Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stanton for Wes Helms?

Re: Stanton for Wes Helms?

Stanton for a wad of previously chewed gum...... still a winner.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I'm not 100% convinced that Stanton's gas tank is empty, but I'd rather the Phillies make that determination than the Reds.
    Junkballing lefties do seem to have 9 lives in professional ball. Just when you think one is washed, they come back with some ridiculously lucky sub-3.50 ERA season.

And, conversely, just when you think one has figured it out again, they turn back into a pumpkin and you're left holding the bag.

Either way, I'd be happy to not be the person that finds out -- and I'll continue to feel that way even Stanton is only on life 7.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Why on Earth the Phillies would want Stanton just boggles the mind, though.
    Rick White says hello.

Wasn't Stanton traded here from the Phillies?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    signed as a free agent ... you are likely thinking of Frenchie.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post

Right.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Well that explains why the Phillies would take a flyer on Stanton. Gillick knows they can always just trade him back to the Reds...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    IIRC Stanton was the Giants closer during the second half of '06. (Then Mike got guaranteed money from WK and went on a fast food binge to celebrate...)
    Never overlook the obvious

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    IIRC Stanton was the Giants closer during the second half of '06. (Then Mike got guaranteed money from WK and went on a fast food binge to celebrate...)
    ..and stopped the HGH use

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    With Stanton's buyout next year, it's more like $1.4M.
    Helms has a $750K buyout of his own. The difference is only about $600K. When you factor in the other guys who would be there instead of Helms and Stanton, its probably a wash for both teams. For example The Reds would add: Helms salary of $2.15 Million, plus his buyout .75 Million and Mercker in place of Stanton at say $1 Million. That is $3.9 Million in adds.

Now subtract Stanton at $3.0 Million and his buyout of $.5 Million and say Hopper gets sent down to make room for Helms that saves about $400K and that would be $3.9 Million in subtractions and a complete wash, but with a better roster. I'd guess there is similar math going on in Philly.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Wes Helm's socks for Stanton= Still a winner.

This is a move that would really knock a couple of birds out with one stone. Which means it probably won't happen.
    Witty signature.

I'm not so sure it is just Stanton they are looking to unload, the possible addition of Helms could mean Hatte, and Freel are being shopped as well. Helms has played a lot of games at third and first acquiring him would make Freel and Hatte expendable while eliminating the current roster jam.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I'm not so sure it is just Stanton they are looking to unload, the possible addition of Helms could mean Hatte, and Freel are being shopped as well. Helms has played a lot of games at third and first acquiring him would make Freel and Hatte expendable while eliminating the current roster jam.
    I think Freel is on the market too. Trading Hatte is problematic at this point. Right now he is the only LHPH on the bench. The remaiining candidates are all RH bats. Unless of course they keep 3 catchers and let Javy play the LHPH role while Bako serves as back-up catcher. If the Reds trade Hatte and keep Bako, then there is still no room for Helms. Hopper, Freel, Javy, Bako and Castro, They may need to deal both Hatte and Freel and unless that would acquire a stud for the bullpen, I'm not sure its worth it.

If no Freel, Hopper or Hatte deal can be made, deal for Helms and send Hopper down. Hatte, Freel, Javy, Castro, Helms. Nice bench. If they get gutsy they could keep Cabrera over Castro, but I'm guessing that Castro stays and is cut loose when Gonzalez returns. That would leave an awesome bench of Freel, Hatte, Helms, Keppinger and Javy and would allow the team to stash Cabrera at AAA instead of exposing him to waivers when Gonzalez returns. In addition to the bench, the Reds would have Cabrera, Hairston, Hopper, Bruce, Dickerson, Gil, Janish, Green, Rosales and Andy Phillips at AAA. That is pretty good depth. Cashing a couple of those guys in for an upgrade in the pen would be great. The Reds could certainly use an upgrade for the pen, but I doubt anyone would be available that is any better than the glut already on hand.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

There is still hope Reds fans!! A deal for Kline reportedly fell through.

Either way, it appears as if the Phils have decided to open with 11 pitchers. That's probably good news, at least temporarily, for infielder Wes Helms, who could win the final bench spot over outfielder Chris Snelling.

Helms, however, might not last long. He probably would be the odd man out when closer Brad Lidge comes off the disabled list. Lidge is eligible to join the active roster April 5. Once Lidge is ready, the Phils probably will go with 12 pitchers.

An attempt to trade Helms to San Francisco for lefty reliever Steve Kline apparently fell through.
    LINK

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    There is still hope Reds fans!! A deal for Kline reportedly fell through.
    Kline would have been the Phillies first choice. Hopefully, the Reds will jump in for sloppy seconds.

Turn Off Ads?