Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stanton for Wes Helms?

Ya can't teach speed...

Re: Stanton for Wes Helms?

If I understand this correctly and maybe I don't...why not pay Stanton's buyout and use Rosales as the platoon corner guy. Rosales can play a very capable third and spent most of last season at first and did a pretty good job there as well (plus he can play a good 2b and a passable/emergency SS). There's no doubt Rosales can hit, he just has to prove that at the ML level. That rids the club of Stanton's big salary and they don't have to pay Rosales the league minimum. Given Helms is going into the twilight of his career, why not invest the time in a guy who could potentially be a mainstay for the Reds for the next 10 years or more and save a couple million bucks which can be spent on signing draft picks or picking up some more pitching depth.

there has to be something I don't understand about Stanton's salary/buyout. Everyone is talking about him being the odd man out, even Dusty has eluded to it. Am I missing something or are the Reds trying to find him a home (and get a little something in return) before dumping on him.
    Last edited by Triples; 03-27-2008 at 10:26 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm sure the Reds would rather have Rosales playing everyday at Chattanooga or Louisville than platooning in Cincy.

According to mlbtraderumors.com Helms for Kline has fallen through. Looks like the Helms-Stanton possibility may have gotten a boost.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Hal says the Reds nixed this deal??!!!???

Quote Originally Posted by Ga_Red View Post
    He sure did. Hopefully he is mistaken.

Are we missing a name here? Oh, yeah. Mike Stanton and his $3 million contract (with a $500,000 buyout). The Phillies inquired about his availability, offering first baseman/third baseman Wes Helmes. The Reds said no.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    There is still hope Reds fans!! A deal for Kline reportedly fell through.

LINK
    Down to 11 healthy pitchers, the Phillies could drop to 10 by today after placing struggling reliever J.D. Durbin on waivers.

Apparently the Phils are pretty confident they'll be successful in their desperate search to add a veteran arm from outside the organization before Monday's season opener.
    http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/ne...8-1509654.html

He sure did. Hopefully he is mistaken.
    Wow. Dumbfounding move on the Reds part if that's true.

The Reds must not like Helms at all, the alternative is they still like Stanton..and that is too bitter to consider.
    Go Gators!

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ga_Red View Post
    That was stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    The Reds must not like Helms at all, the alternative is they still like Stanton..and that is too bitter to consider.
    I'm sure Krivsky would actually tell Hal.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I'm sure Krivsky would actually tell Hal.
    True, maybe he feeds him false info like during the GM search
    Go Gators!

Ya can't teach speed...

I'm sure the Reds would rather have Rosales playing everyday at Chattanooga or Louisville than platooning in Cincy.
    250 ABs in the Majors > 500 ABs in AA or AAA.

I think it's completely unnecessary to start Rosales' arbitration clock so soon. If he shows he's not ready for Major League pitching (and he probably isn't), then the Reds will have wasted a 40-man roster spot for a year. Besides, Rosales has only 255 at-bats above high-A-ball.

You've got to be kidding me. If true (and it sounds like it is), Wayne gets an F- for that move (or lack there of).

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    You've got to be kidding me. If true (and it sounds like it is), Wayne gets an F- for that move (or lack there of).
    Unless he thinks he can get more out of the Phillies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?