Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What teams/players have you seen in person?

What teams/players have you seen in person?

This is a spinoff from the "who would you pay to see" thread. It got me to thinking about how many different teams I've seen play, how many Hall of Famers or potenial HOFers, and some dominant performances or special moments I've seen in person.

Teams that I've seen play in person:

NL:

Cincinnati Reds
    Pittsburgh Pirates
    St. Louis Cardinals
    Chicago Cubs
    Los Angeles Dodgers
    San Francisco Giants
    San Diego Padres
    Colorado Rockies
    New York Mets
    Philadelphia Phillies
    Montreal Expos
    Florida Marlins
    Atlanta Braves

AL:

Texas Rangers
    Seattle Mariners
    Anaheim Angels
    Cleveland Indians
    Chicago White Sox
    Baltimore Orioles
    Tampa Bay Rays

I've seen 20 different teams in person. This year I'll see the Diamondbacks for the first time on Opening Day and then the Red Sox in June for the first time. I'd also like to see the Brewers sometime this season.

Some of the Hall of Famers or potential HOFer's I've seen include:

Ken Griffey Jr.
    Edgar Martinez
    Ozzie Smith
    Eddie Murray
    Cal Ripken Jr.
    Mark McGwire
    Sammy Sosa
    Barry Bonds
    Rafael Palmeiro
    Todd Helton
    Vladimir Guerrero
    Pedro Martinez
    Jake Peavy
    Chipper Jones
    Andruw Jones
    Jim Thome

I've never seen a perfect game or no-hitter but I have seen quite a few walkoff homeruns, a 12 strikeout performance, and such.

-In August of 2002 - against the Padres in old Cinergy Field, I saw the Reds score nine runs in the first inning including two Aaron Boone homeruns in the first inning. He later hit his third HR in the game in the 4th inning.

-Two games later I witnessed my first career walkoff HR as Boone launched a 2-run shot in the 12th inning.

-Another of my greatest games involves Aaron Boone. August 21st, 1999 against the Expos. The Reds were in a middle of a pennant race and were trailing this game 2-1 in the 6th. The Reds loaded the bases up for Aaron Boone. Moments later he cleared them with a grand slam, the first GS I had ever seen in person. One inning later Eddie Taubensee launched another grand slam and the Reds went on to win 9-3.

-In August of 2004 I saw Adam Dunn launch a 535 foot homerun into the Ohio River, the longest HR on record IIRC.

-On Opening Day 2005 I saw Adam Dunn launch two homeruns, the first off Pedro Martinez in the first inning. Pedro settled down after that and struckout 12 Reds hitters in six innings. In the bottom of the 9th the Mets brought in Braden Looper with a two run lead. Kearns led off with a single and a few pitches later Dunn launched his second HR of the game to tie it at six. In stepped Joe Randa...he worked the count full and then homered to left to give the Reds a 7-6 win. This was probably the greatest game I've ever seen in person.

-Wily Mo Pena bobblehead night in June 2005 was another of my favorites. Pena launched two homeruns, including a looooong walkoff HR into the bleacher seats on his own bobblehead night.

-In May of 2006 I nearly witnessed a perfect game. Jon Lieber carried a perfect game into the 7th inning before Dunn lined a two out single into center field. That's the closest I've come to seeing a no-hitter or perfect game.

-Opening Day 2007 was also a great game. Harang threw seven great innings for the win, Dunn launched two homeruns and Josh Hamilton received a standing ovation.

That's all I got.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What teams/players have you seen in person?

NL:

Cincinnati Reds
    Atlanta Braves
    Chicago Cubs
    Montreal Expos
    Pittsburgh Pirates
    St. Louis Cardinals
    Philadelphia Phillies
    New York Mets
    Los Angeles Dodgers
    San Francisco Giants
    Houston Astros
    San Diego Padres

AL:

Baltimore Orioles
    Boston Red Sox
    New York Yankees
    Toronto Blue Jays
    Detroit Tigers
    Oakland A's
    Texas Rangers
    Chicago White Sox
    Seattle Mariners

Great Players:

From 1969 - present? Too many to name.

I've never seen live:

San Diego
    Arizona
    Texas
    Minnesota
    Milwaukee
    Tampa
    Florida
    Expos/Nats
    Houston

I was at the 1971 AS game - there were some players in that game.

High five!

Reds
    Dodgers
    Padres
    Angels
    Rangers
    Red Sox
    Tigers
    Nippon Ham Fighters
    Kintetsu Buffaloes

Let's see....

NL
    Cincinnati Reds [obviously]
    Chicago Cubs
    Houston Astros
    Milwaukee Brewers
    St Louis Cardinals
    Pittsburgh Pirates
    Florida Marlins
    Atlanta Braves
    Philadelphia Phillies
    New York Mets
    Montreal Expos
    San Diego Padres
    San Francisco Giants
    Colorado Rockies
    Los Angeles Dodgers
    Arizona Diamondbacks

AL
    Chicago White Sox
    Cleveland Indians
    Baltimore Orioles
    Oakland A's

I might be wrong on the Rockies, but I'm pretty sure I have seen them a couple years back.

Great players/possible HoFers/Big star types

Junior Griffey
    Barry Larkin
    Jeff Bagwell
    Craig Biggio
    Roger Clemens
    Pedro Martinez
    Mark McGwire
    Sammy Sosa
    Rapheal Palmeiero
    Albert Pujols
    Greg Maddux
    David Wells
    Andruw Jones
    Nomar Garciaparra
    Jeff Kent
    Barry Bonds

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

RFS62 is busy, but he asked me to list a few of the teams and players that he has seen in person: Chicago Colts, Cleveland Naps, St. Louis Browns, Brooklyn Superbas and New York Highlanders are on his list of teams. He added that he really enjoyed watching Cap Anson, Sliding Billy Hamilton, Hugh Duffy and Amos Rusie play.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Players, no idea.

Teams: Reds, Marlins, Astros, Mets, Diamondbacks, Rockies, Pirates, Orioles, D-Rays.
    Go Gators!

I've probably seen the Reds play just about every other NL team, but the only teams that I have a definite memory of having seen at Crosley Field, Riverfront Stadium or Great American Ballpark are the Cardinals (first game in 1965), Giants, Astros, Rockies, Padres, Pirates and Braves.
    Opposing players I have seen in person include Ken Boyer, Lou Brock, Steve Carlton, Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio, Larry Walker and Hank Aaron.
    I attended a game at Camden Yards in 1993, but I do not recall who the Orioles played; obviously, I saw Cal Ripken, Jr. play.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

The teams:

Pirates,Braves,Dodgers,Astros,Padres,Cardinals,Ori oles,Nationals,Rangers,Red Sox(Exhibition Game, does that count?)Giants,Cubs,Mets and Phillies.

HOFer's:

I may think of more later but here goes:

Bench,Perez,Morgan,Larkin,Clemente,Stargell,Mazero ski,Aaron,Brock,Schmidt,Carlton,Ripken, Murray Pucket,Seaver,Sandberg,McCovey,Phil Niekro. (Rose) I'm sure there are more.

I have also seen manage that are in the HOF Sparky and Walter Alston and probably others.

I got to go to the 1988 All Star and so there were plenty that played in that game that are HOFer's.
    I saw the start of the Reds miracle 1973 comeback on July 1st when they swept a doubleheader from the Dodgers.
    Also saw Phil Niekro come within two outs of no hitting the 1976 Reds on the next to last day of the season. At the time I was happy the Reds got a hit but now wish they hadn't as it really didn't matter in the standings.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    RFS62 is busy, but he asked me to list a few of the teams and players that he has seen in person: Chicago Colts, Cleveland Naps, St. Louis Browns, Brooklyn Superbas and New York Highlanders are on his list of teams. He added that he really enjoyed watching Cap Anson, Sliding Billy Hamilton, Hugh Duffy and Amos Rusie play.

Hey, thanks RedsBaron. What a pal you are.

You're right, that Anson kid was pretty good.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?