Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great American Ballpark's Transformation

Great American Ballpark's Transformation

I was just going through the opinions about the truck being placed out past centerfield in the ORG. Since Bob C. took over, there have been many changes with GABP. Some notable ones include the riverboat deck, outdoor wuites, and the truck. When Great American was built, I thought it's outfield looked bleek, and like it was missing something unique. Below is a picture of what centerfield looks like now.

I wasn't a big fan of the riverboat deck, because I just thought it stood out too much. The batter's eye just looks terrible out there, because it looks really out of place. We have a small colorful ballpark, and a huge black building in centerfield. There has to be some way you can make it not stick out so much.

I am a big fan of the fun zone. The concerts are always fun to take in. I love how they have made the ballpark a more family friendly enviroment. Some of these improvments have given the ballpark a charm that is unmatched across the baseball world.

I love the truck idea, but it's almost impossible for the truck to be hit. Why not put it between the smoke stacks over the Griffey countdown to 600 like someone in the ORG mentioned? Then you could give it out either if somebody hits it, or the night Griffey hits his 600th, preferably here in Cincinnati. What's the fun in a truck being there that's never going to be hit?

So with that being said, what is your view on the ballpark? Do you like or dislike the changes that have been made in the past couple years? What are some suggestions you would give for future improvments?
    Last edited by GoReds33; 03-27-2008 at 02:01 AM.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Great American Ballpark's Transformation

I think the batter's eye does it's job. A big black wall isn't supposed to be pleasing to the eye.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

truck is dumb and pointless IMO, a tactic to make it seem liek they have done more around the park then they really have. There are also thousands of cars outside the stadium in the parking lots no one will win either. Whats the point?

It looks like the Tundra is pulling the riverboat. That truck is a beast.

I was down at the ballpark yesterday doing some work for MLB.com and realized how incredibly difficult it would be for a player to hit that truck. It's NEVER going to happen...ever.
    "Rounding Third and Heading for Home"

maybe in BP.. once..

I've seen lots and lots of batting practice...and I've never seen ANYONE hit a ball where that truck is...ever. The farthest hit balls Ive seen were by Soriano (over the batters eye) and Wily Mo Pena ( also over the batters eye ).

Sammy Sosa and Dunn have put a hurtin' on some balls before too....but that truck, never.
    "Rounding Third and Heading for Home"

wily mo had a homer that was near the top of the bleachers once, and with some velocity.. pretty sure that would have been far enough.. just not straight..

From C. Trent's blog:

* Got a great e-mail today from Rick Newkirk. Rick read the article on the Reds official site about the new truck in the outfield, and Rick, thinking like the journalist he is, asked a simple question. Is it possible to hit that truck? So, Rick e-mailed Greg Rybarczyk at HitTrackerOnline.com and asked a simple question -- is it possible for someone to hit the truck and let a fan win a truck? Rybarczyk, who has an engineering degree and spent time in the Navy as nuclear engineer and ship's navigator, studies how far balls really travel. His answer? The truck "might as well be on the moon."

Here's more of his answer:

OK, this was quicker than I expected. Bottom line, don't hold your breath. I marked it at 502 feet horizontally and 65 feet above field level.

On a calm, 70 degree day, a player would have to hit the ball at 134.5 mph off the bat, which is beyond the realm of possibility using MLB baseballs and MLB bats.

With a 15 mph tail wind and a 90 degree day, a hit of 122.7 mph would reach the truck. That is in fact possible by someone like Alex Rodriguez, or maybe Wily Mo Pena, but I doubt a lefty could hit one that hard in that direction. Also, at 500 horizontal feet from home plate, that's quite a lucky shot to go in just the right direction. And by the way, last year one homer run was hit at GABP in wind of 15 mph or greater. It just doesn't get that windy at game time there...

The Reds need to gamble a little and put the truck where it can be reached (check where the Royals have a truck in LCF). So what if someone hits it, it's not that expensive, and will draw lots of interest. As it is, no one's going to think twice about it, it might as well be on the moon...

Rick wrote about this at the excellent RedReporter site.

It'll never happen

I don't think its necessary for the batter's eye to be black. The one in Philidelphia is red, and it works quite well.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

i'm just glad we got some personell this offseason instead of things like a boat in center field, etc. If only we could trade the $ we spent on that boat for santana, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    I don't think its necessary for the batter's eye to be black. The one in Philidelphia is red, and it works quite well.
    You're right. It just needs to be one solid, dark(ish) color that doesn't reflect light.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

If a player from the opposing team hits the truck, does a fan still win? Why didn't they put it right on top of the Riverboat (which blocks the view of centerfield to many in the upper right portion of the bleachers) that way it can be achievable equally by left-handers and right-handers.
    WE DON'T, WE DON'T, WE DON'T MESS AROUND HEY!

Old Red Guard Reject

Philadelphia's batter's eye:

Wrigley:

Texas:

Not all of them are so ugly as GABP.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

If anything, a different color batter's eye could make it less of a hitter's ballpark.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Turn Off Ads?