Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Keeping Avatars and Sigs

Keeping Avatars and Sigs

I was just wondering if it was possible to keep someone's avatar and signature together with that person's original post. As it's currently set up, if I go and look up one of my (or anybody else's) posts from a few months ago it'll have my current avatar and sig rather than the ones I had at the time.

It's not really a big deal, but I just like seeing the post match up with the sig and avatar that poster had when they made the post. It gives things a little context, and some of the old sigs and avatars people had but since changed were hilarious.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Keeping Avatars and Sigs

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I was just wondering if it was possible to keep someone's avatar and signature together with that person's original post. As it's currently set up, if I go and look up one of my (or anybody else's) posts from a few months ago it'll have my current avatar and sig rather than the ones I had at the time.

It's not really a big deal, but I just like seeing the post match up with the sig and avatar that poster had when they made the post. It gives things a little context, and some of the old sigs and avatars people had but since changed were hilarious.
    I'm 99.9% sure it always matches up the current avatar with old posts to conserve bandwidth and increase speed. I imagine that'd be a huge bandwidth hog.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I'm 99.9% sure it always matches up the current avatar with old posts to conserve bandwidth and increase speed.

So you're tellin' me there's a chance...

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

I believe the default system setup for vBulletin is that it shows only what you have most recently saved.

There is probably hacks out there for what Screwball wants. I believe a board called IP Board lets you see your sig at the time of the post. But we dont use that

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I imagine that'd be a huge bandwidth hog.
    I could picture this being a disk space hog, too. The board would have to store the information about the current avatar in a separate database field with each post, in addition to retaining the avatar file itself if it was uploaded instead of linked.
    /r/reds

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I could picture this being a disk space hog, too. The board would have to store the information about the current avatar in a separate database field with each post, in addition to retaining the avatar file itself if it was uploaded instead of linked.
    One word: memcached

Turn Off Ads?