Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Escobar out. Possible Belisle move?

Escobar out. Possible Belisle move?

From this mornings LA Times: http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...1,340320.story

Pitcher Kelvim Escobar, an 18-game winner for the Angels last season, revealed Wednesday that he has a tear in his shoulder, an injury that could require season-ending surgery and, possibly, end the veteran right-hander's career.

Speculating about a trade for a starter the writer mentioned the following:

Possible trade targets include the Chicago Cubs' Jon Lieber, Jason Marquis and Sean Marshall, Cleveland's Aaron Laffey and Jeremy Sowers, Oakland's Joe Blanton, Texas' Kameron Loe and Cincinnati's Matt Belisle.

Rem

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Escobar out. Possible Belisle move?

of the guys on that list Belisle may be the cheapest and easiest to acquire. If I was the angels I would go after Marshall.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

If I am the Angels I take a longer, more cautious look at Belisle. He has had lingering back issues for two seasons and is currently on the shelf.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    If I am the Angels I take a longer, more cautious look at Belisle. He has had lingering back issues for two seasons and is currently on the shelf.
    He had no back problems last year, and right now he has a sore forearm due to practicing his changeup too much. He had a 30 pitch bullpen session and reported no pain, and followed that with a 55 pitch simulated game. I think he's back in a week to 10 days at the latest.

Pheh, I'd offer them Josh Fogg for a season pass to Disneyland.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I'm guessing that if the Angels are after any of those players, Jason Marquis is the one they'll get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    He had no back problems last year, and right now he has a sore forearm due to practicing his changeup too much. He had a 30 pitch bullpen session and reported no pain, and followed that with a 55 pitch simulated game. I think he's back in a week to 10 days at the latest.

Pheh, I'd offer them Josh Fogg for a season pass to Disneyland.
    I know the forearm is the current issue but for some odd reason I recall back issues last year as well as the year before. Hmmmm.

As far as him being back? I'm pretty sure I understand where you are coming from on this one. He may be considered "healthy" in a week to 10 days but his pitch count needs to be a lot higher than 55 to move into a rotation slot for another team. 10 days isn't going to jump you to 85+ pitches IMO.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    I know the forearm is the current issue but for some odd reason I recall back issues last year as well as the year before. Hmmmm.

As far as him being back? I'm pretty sure I understand where you are coming from on this one. He may be considered "healthy" in a week to 10 days but his pitch count needs to be a lot higher than 55 to move into a rotation slot for another team. 10 days isn't going to jump you to 85+ pitches IMO.
    I'm not advocating dealing him, but he has an option left, and most teams don't need a 5th starter early in April. 2 starts at AAA should get him around 90 pitches. It's not like he missed a month. His arm got sore 7 days ago. So, he's missed 1 start. I'm betting he can make that up pretty quick. The back issues were 2-3 years ago.

I'm not advocating dealing him, but he has an option left, and most teams don't need a 5th starter early in April. 2 starts at AAA should get him around 90 pitches. It's not like he missed a month. His arm got sore 7 days ago. So, he's missed 1 start. I'm betting he can make that up pretty quick. The back issues were 2-3 years ago.
    I looked it up. Just because I had to know... I stand corrected. He had back issues in 2001 and again in 2006. He had rotator cuff inflamation in May of 2007. For some odd reason I thought it was his back. (I guess because I am getting older and my brain is slower or RFS62 is contagious) Also, I agree with your assessment of the 5th starter scenario.
    Cedric 3/24/08

Are you sure that Belisle has an option left? I'm pretty sure you're right, but I know he was optioned in 2003, 2004, 2006, and 2007. However, in both 2006 and 2007, his optional assignments were very short and therefore, I don't think they counted. If I understand the rules correctly, Belisle has one option year remaining, and he is eligible for a fourth option year so long as he has less than five years of service time (five years in which he was on the ML roster for 90+ days).

That's the second time in the past week or so where I've read Aaron Laffey may be available. He's got some solid minor league numbers and profiles as a No. 3 or 4 starter. Plus he's a lefty. I'd like to see the Reds acquire him if the Indians are thinking of dealing him.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Are you sure that Belisle has an option left? I'm pretty sure you're right, but I know he was optioned in 2003, 2004, 2006, and 2007. However, in both 2006 and 2007, his optional assignments were very short and therefore, I don't think they counted. If I understand the rules correctly, Belisle has one option year remaining, and he is eligible for a fourth option year so long as he has less than five years of service time (five years in which he was on the ML roster for 90+ days).
    I'm going off the fact that I've heard it mentioned a time or two that he has an option, and that a few posters have mentioned him as a starter in AAA. In fact, I see him possibly being DL'd, or optioned if the Reds determine he's healthy.

For better or more likely worse, looks like Fogg is in the rotation.

wretch.

No thanks. A shoulder tear is too serious. I know Belisle is not great and has had some injury concerns, but I think Belisle is more valuable to the Reds than a very injurred Escobar.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    No thanks. A shoulder tear is too serious. I know Belisle is not great and has had some injury concerns, but I think Belisle is more valuable to the Reds than a very injurred Escobar.
    I don't think anyone wants Kelvim back, they are just sayin that the Angels might be lighting up the phones looking for pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed View Post
    I don't think anyone wants Kelvim back, they are just sayin that the Angels might be lighting up the phones looking for pitching.
    Oh, you know what, you're right. I glanced over that article quickly and missed that.

Nevermind.

When I saw this the first thing that popped into my mind was maybe this was a way to pick up a catcher (Mathis?) as many discussed in another thread.

Escobar's injury may also open a starting slot for D. Mos. Prior to this he was thought to be starting the season in the bully.

Is Belisle a step up over D. Mos? (famous shrug) Could we get Mathis for Belisle? (double famous shrug) Do we even want to trade pitching for a catcher? (all shrugged out)

You guys/gals tell me.

Rem

Turn Off Ads?