Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Down Goes Andy Green

Re: Down Goes Andy Green

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    I nominate this the most boring and uninteresting roster battle in the history of baseball.
    Seconded.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Of the 3, Freel, Hopper and Patterson I'd take Freel 1st, then Hopper, then Reggie Taylor then Patterson

Funny it looks like it will be Freel who goes.
    I take Patterson over Hopper and Freel as the everyday CF.

I take Freel over Hopper as a bench player.

I take Hopper as emergency depth to be stashed at AAA.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Doesn't Hopper still have options?

I agree with others that I'd take Freel over Hopper in a heartbeat. I imagine other teams would also.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Andy Green is 29 and has never had much success outside of the PCL, especially when it comes to power. Mediocre contact, good plate discipline, little power. I'd still take him over Jolbert Cabrera.

I must say, it's interesting how when it comes to spring training, most of the sabermetric types want to ignore the stats and get the scouting reports, whereas the scouting types tend to cite the numbers. Not a value judgment -- just an observation.
    I would submit that is because stat-oriented folks realize that ST numbers are useless as indicators and that the value of scouting and inside information (e.g. were they working on something?) is more important for making decisions, whereas the scouting types like a guy for some reason and root for him although they know that the guy will probably not be successful when the bell rings, but there is that chance that he will be the 1 in a 1,000 career season guy, and well, look at his ST numbers.

Plus, deep down, most folks are hybrids of stats/scouts. I think this phenomenon reveals it.

"When," you play in spring games often has a lot to do with your stats. Most of the scouts know the players who are going to answer the bell and are usually very aware of the things that happen in spring training. With that said, there are always going to be a few guys that get "pigeon holed" as career minor leaguers who probably could have been pretty good at the big league level. I think that is the exception and not the norm.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Which begs the question would you rather have Hopper's high average (for now), good speed, and good baserunning or Freel's expierence and versatility? The fact that the two positives I have for Freel are versatility and expierence combined with his big pay day tells me I'd rather have Hopper.
    Freel brings more than experience and versatility to the table, IMO. Freel is more than a 1 trick pony at the plate. He doesn't rely on a high BABIP which translates to a high AVG, which is the main component of Hopper's OBP. If Hopper could take more walks, then I think we'd see his BABIP continue to be high, due to the fact that better/higher plate discipline/pitch recognition would lead to Hopper getting better pitches to hit and put in play. Unfortunately, Hopper doesn't walk enough, and relies heavily on his speed to get on base. That's not a bad thing, but I firmly believe that teams will make the necessary adjustments to negate Hopper's speed (ie defensive positioning to lessen infield hits, and bunts), in which case Hopper's value decreases exponentially.

Defensively, both are average at best, IMO. They take scenic routes to balls, and seem to get slow, or incorrect jumps and reads. Thankfully, they both have speed to make up in those areas.

I know Hopper can supposedly play 2B, but Freel can play all 3 OF positions, and 3B and 2B if necessary. If they both made the same amount of coin, I'd still pick Freel over Hopper 8 days a week due to the fact Freel has a more rounded offensive game. If Hopper could find more gaps in the OF and really use his speed, then I'd say Hopper, b/c I think Hopper's faster than Freel and a little smarter on the basepaths. Unfortunately, Hopper has a ridiculously high GB%, and his SLG will continue to be low due to the fact that he's a singles hitter.

Agree, Highlifeman. For me, unless Freel can bring a really useful piece, I take him on this roster over Hopper every day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I take Patterson over Hopper and Freel as the everyday CF.
    Defensively sure, but the Dusty rule that the CF also bats leadoff makes me want him off the roster more then anything right now.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?