Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reason For Lack Of Cuts

Reason For Lack Of Cuts

Per John Fay

Freel deal

The reason for the lack of cuts? It could be because the Reds are trying to move Ryan Freel. I've heard calls have gone out to Philadelphia, Minnesota and others.
    http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs...freel-deal.asp

I am curious to who they are looking for in Minnesota. Would they look to get Helms from Philly or just some prospects? The Reds supposedly said no for Stanton for Helms though.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reason For Lack Of Cuts

So don't cut Freel. Not like he would be cut anyway.

Cut the guys who 1) won't make the club for sure, and 2) no one else wants.

Hairston
    Cabrera
    Brower
    Capellan
    --------------

And if I could have my way, I'd get Patterson out of here too, along with cheating Stanton.
    Last edited by paintmered; 03-27-2008 at 08:29 PM. Reason: inappropriate language

Interesting, because I was just looking at this:

Players still in camp:

Pitchers (17)
    25 David Weathers
    29 Mike Stanton
    31 Matt Belisle
    33 Josh Fogg
    36 Edinson Volquez
    39 Aaron Harang
    41 Jeremy Affeldt
    45 Bill Bray
    48 Francisco Cordero
    50 Kent Mercker
    51 Jared Burton
    52 Jim Brower
    56 Todd Coffey
    61 Bronson Arroyo
    77 Johnny Cueto
    84 Mike Lincoln
    -- Jose Capallan

Catchers (3)
    9 Paul Bako
    17 Javier Valentin
    26 David Ross

Infielders (10)
    2 Alex Gonzalez
    4 Brandon Phillips
    7 Juan Castro
    15 Jerry Hairston, Jr.
    19 Joey Votto
    21 Scott Hatteberg
    27 Jeff Keppinger
    28 Edwin Encarnacion
    46 Andy Phillips
    54 Jolbert Cabrera

Outfielders (5)
    3 Ken Griffey, Jr.
    6 Ryan Freel
    23 Corey Patterson
    30 Norris Hopper
    44 Adam Dunn

What in the world is keeping us from shipping out Brower, Lincoln, Capellan, Hairston, APhillips, and Cabrera like LAST WEEK. That would put us only at 30... 5 more to go...

Belisle to AAA so he can start every 5th day.

Gonzalez is on the DL, DUH.

Ross or Bako to get to 2 catchers.

2 Left.

Castro/Mercker/Stanton/Bray - pick 2.

IMO, if we're trading Freel, it's so we can keep 3 catchers and use Valentin as a PH. (A rumor I heard, but makes so NOT sense that it probably will happen).

I like this one from the ORG:

"Maybe Dusty is waiting for the same thing we've all been wishing for: A soft, easy pop up to Castro, who is suddenly attacked by a stray Bengal Tiger.
    That would solve at least one problem. And, if said tiger went into the bullpen for a while, perhaps a couple of more."

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by NDReds9 View Post
    So don't cut Freel. Not like he would be cut anyway.

Cut the guys who 1) won't make the club for sure, and 2) no one else wants.

Hairston
    Cabrera
    Brower
    Capellan
    --------------

And if I could have my way, I'd get Patterson out of here too, along with cheating Stanton.
    They aren't going to cut Freel. They aren't cutting people until they move Freel, if they can. Depends on who they get in return as to who will be cut or not.
    Last edited by paintmered; 03-27-2008 at 08:29 PM. Reason: quote edited only

I would love to see Freel dealt. Even if it's for a lesser known minor league player.
    Last edited by fadetoblack2880; 03-27-2008 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Interesting, because I was just looking at this:

Players still in camp:

Pitchers (17)
    25 David Weathers
    29 Mike Stanton
    31 Matt Belisle
    33 Josh Fogg
    36 Edinson Volquez
    39 Aaron Harang
    41 Jeremy Affeldt
    45 Bill Bray
    48 Francisco Cordero
    50 Kent Mercker
    51 Jared Burton
    52 Jim Brower
    56 Todd Coffey
    61 Bronson Arroyo
    77 Johnny Cueto
    84 Mike Lincoln
    -- Jose Capallan

Catchers (3)
    9 Paul Bako
    17 Javier Valentin
    26 David Ross

Infielders (10)
    2 Alex Gonzalez
    4 Brandon Phillips
    7 Juan Castro
    15 Jerry Hairston, Jr.
    19 Joey Votto
    21 Scott Hatteberg
    27 Jeff Keppinger
    28 Edwin Encarnacion
    46 Andy Phillips
    54 Jolbert Cabrera

Outfielders (5)
    3 Ken Griffey, Jr.
    6 Ryan Freel
    23 Corey Patterson
    30 Norris Hopper
    44 Adam Dunn

What in the world is keeping us from shipping out Brower, Lincoln, Capellan, Hairston, APhillips, and Cabrera like LAST WEEK. That would put us only at 30... 5 more to go...

Belisle to AAA so he can start every 5th day.

Gonzalez is on the DL, DUH.

Ross or Bako to get to 2 catchers.

2 Left.

Castro/Mercker/Stanton/Bray - pick 2.

IMO, if we're trading Freel, it's so we can keep 3 catchers and use Valentin as a PH. (A rumor I heard, but makes so NOT sense that it probably will happen).

"Maybe Dusty is waiting for the same thing we've all been wishing for: A soft, easy pop up to Castro, who is suddenly attacked by a stray Bengal Tiger.
    That would solve at least one problem. And, if said tiger went into the bullpen for a while, perhaps a couple of more."

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I agree about Brower, Belisle Gonzalez and Ross or Bako.

But they are probably trying to work out a trade for Cappelan, and Lincoln, Hairston, Cabrera and A.Phillips could still make the club.
    Lincoln has been throwing 94+ and getting outs, and the other three are battling for the position available if Freel is traded.

And Castro will make the team as long as Agon is on the DL. Deal with it.

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Then again, when was the last time Bengals took care of anything in Cincinnati?

Sorry, that was just too easy to pass on

Personally I'd hate to see Freel go. He seems to have so much potential and could be a real power player.

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fadetoblack2880 View Post
    I would love to see Freel dealt. Even if it's for a lesser known minor league player.
    As has been touched on in the ORG, but not so much in any of the threads here, that's almost CERTAINLY the kind of deal they'd want to make with Freel.

For all the hand-wringing and kvetching people are doing over the 25-man roster, the real tough decisions are related to managing the 40-man between now and Monday. The 25-man is a piece of cake (well, unless you're a Bailey- or Bruce-hugger), comparatively speaking.

Patterson and Cueto aren't on the 40-man; they'll need to be by Monday. If we decide we need Bako, he needs a spot. Mercker has pitched well enough to be under consideration but he, too, is a non-roster invitee. And three-quarters of the names under discussion for the fabled "25th roster spot" are NRIs, too (though I can't see bending over backwards to accomodate somebody like a Jerry Hairston).

Even if Gonzalez, Belisle, and Ross all start on the 25-day DL, they're still taking up spots on the 40-man. I can't remember, but we're either running at a full 40 or at 39, right now. Just DFA'ing Castro and Stanton might sound like a swell idea to some, but that just ain't happening. We need to invent 2-3 more roster spots using other means.

As a result, trading Freel (and/or Hatteberg) for a prospects seems like it might make sense in more than one way.

Rick

I don't hate Freel, I would just prefer someone, anyone else in his roster spot. He plays very recklessly. He has some upside, but just as much downside.

Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    As has been touched on in the ORG, but not so much in any of the threads here, that's almost CERTAINLY the kind of deal they'd want to make with Freel.

For all the hand-wringing and kvetching people are doing over the 25-man roster, the real tough decisions are related to managing the 40-man between now and Monday. The 25-man is a piece of cake (well, unless you're a Bailey- or Bruce-hugger), comparatively speaking.

Patterson and Cueto aren't on the 40-man; they'll need to be by Monday. If we decide we need Bako, he needs a spot. Mercker has pitched well enough to be under consideration but he, too, is a non-roster invitee. And three-quarters of the names under discussion for the fabled "25th roster spot" are NRIs, too (though I can't see bending over backwards to accomodate somebody like a Jerry Hairston).

Even if Gonzalez, Belisle, and Ross all start on the 25-day DL, they're still taking up spots on the 40-man. I can't remember, but we're either running at a full 40 or at 39, right now. Just DFA'ing Castro and Stanton might sound like a swell idea to some, but that just ain't happening. We need to invent 2-3 more roster spots using other means.

As a result, trading Freel (and/or Hatteberg) for a prospects seems like it might make sense in more than one way.

Rick
    Well said. Cutting Castro and Stanton won't happen due to the money factor. I wouldn't mind seeing this take place, but why not deal these guys for anything you can get and hope for the best. A low level guy couldn't be much worse than having a crew of aging players take up roster spots that could be given to young guys who still have potential.

Quote Originally Posted by fadetoblack2880 View Post
    Why? Freel can be a really good contributor off the bench. It's not as though he is worthless!

I don't think you give him away, either. However, if somone is willing to pay the salary and we can get a catcher or a young arm, I would do it.

Freel deserves to go to a team that needs him. I like the Brayan Pena for Freel deal. Would that be possible?

What I hate about dumping a player that should not be on the roster like Stanton/Castro is that it's going to cost money. It's going to cost money if they are on the team, or off the team. There is no difference except maybe 400k between DFA Stanton to bring up Pellend, where Pellend would actually help the team win... or any minor league.

When a player becomes BELOW replacement level, the cost (game wise) of keeping them is a LOT worse than cutting them and using a replacement player. It just doesn't make sense to hurt the team just because he has a bigger contract. Castro at 1M is only .5M over the league minimum... its not hard to just release him. You might get 1M production from 1.5M (minor leaguer), as oppose to 0M production from 1M (Castro). Same thing for Stanton. I'm 100% positive that Roenicke would be worth a 500K upgrade over Stanton. That's basically what they should be doing. Trying to trade Freel when he's at his lowest trade value is pointless, especially since he can help the team.

Turn Off Ads?