Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Laws on Dogs

part of BBN

Laws on Dogs

Okay, I do not like starting threads. First one in fact.
    Here is my problem. We live outside city limits and have a problem with a neighbor who has a dog which has got loose on several occassions lately. The dog is a pitbull or part pitbull and when loose has cornered a neighbor on two different occassions.
    They have been warned repeatedly about keeping this dog chained but he continously gets loose.
    I have a little girl and I have stated I dont plan on her being scared all summer to go outside.
    My question is what can I legally do ?
    If I go to the authorities, can they do something or what is the best action to take?
    I would appreciate genuine advice from any Redzoners.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Laws on Dogs

Wow that is scary, rocko. If it were me, I'd call the sheriff's department, tell them about the situation, and tell them that if the dog "threatens" you, you'll shoot it. Tell the neighbors the same thing. Next time the dog gets out, kill it. That's harsh, I know, but it's not worth risking your little girl's life.

The owner's will either take care of the problem or you'll take care of it for them.

The police can't really do anything proactive, but if you call ahead about your worries and what you're planning on doing, you will have your concerns on record. You do not have to be scared in your own neighborhood of a rogue, dangerous animal.

I actually agree with Willy. If you feel threatened by an animal on your property, and ca n do away with it without putting others (people or pets) in jeopardy, you may want to do it. Warn the neighbor first and see what happens. I'm not some kind of redneck or neanderthal who thinks this is a normal way of solving problems, but if I was concerned about me family's safety I wouldn't think twice about it.

Use a shotgun.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

You tell the owner, "if the dog is in my yard again I will put a hole it it's head"

You don't take a chance on your daughter getting killed or permenently disfugured. NO CHANCE.

Don't worry about the law, do the right thing. No jury is going to convict you for killing a pit bull in your yard.

Who cares if they do, your daughter is safer. You must protect your daughter, period. Nice guys end up with dead or disfigured children.

The exact same thing happen to me 4 years ago. A neighbor had a pit bull that was chained in the back yard with one of those screw in the ground chains. It rained about 2 inches one day and the dog pulled the chain out of the mud. He was running around the neighborhood draging the chain and almost attacked my next door neighbor, he fought off the dog with a lawn chair.

That night me and him went to the dog owners house. I had my pistol visable in my pants. I told him If his dog was ever in my yard, I was not going to call anybody...I was just going to kill it.

I also told him if the dog ever attacked my daughter it would be the worse day in his life. ( I let his imagination wonder!) My neighbor pretty much said the samething.

The guy got rid of the dog within the week.

Protect your family....no one else will.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Or instead of going all rambo you could simply call your county government and see if there is a "animal control agency". Make sure they understand how threatening the dog has been and request that they come pick up the dog right away. Be insistant and make sure they respond yesterday.

They can most safely capture the animal, determine if it is unsafe, and if neccessary humanely put the animal down. Also, many communities have viscious or nuiscence dog laws so the owers will be cited as well.

Do not kill the dog unless it is activley attacking someone. If you do shoot it while it is mearly taking a dump in your yard or sniffing your flowers you will be convicted for negligent discharge of a firearm, possibly have your firearm confiscated and will likely open yourself up to a civil suit.

If it's got someone cornered or is attacking someone I wouldn't have a moments hesitation to shoot the animal. However, just taking things into your own hands and being the neighborhood enforcer is a bad, bad idea.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 03-28-2008 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    That night me and him went to the dog owners house. I had my pistol visable in my pants. I told him If his dog was ever in my yard, I was not going to call anybody...I was just going to kill it.
    You do realize you committed a crime there right? Check out "brandishing a firearm".

This is peanut gallery stuff, but it's those sorts of bonehead moves that cause responsible gun owners so many headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Or instead of going all rambo you could simply call your county government and see if there is a "animal control agency". Make sure they understand how threatening the dog has been and request that they come pick up the dog right away. Be insistant and make sure they respond yesterday.

They can most safely capture the animal, determine if it is unsafe, and if neccessary humanely put the animal down. Also, many communities have viscious or nuiscence dog laws so the owers will be cited as well.

Do not kill the dog unless it is activley attacking someone. If you do shoot it while it is mearly taking a dump in your yard or sniffing your flowers you will be convicted for negligent discharge of a firearm, possibly have your firearm confiscated and will likely open yourself up to a civil suit.

If it's got someone cornered or is attacking someone I wouldn't have a moments hesitation to shoot the animal. However, just taking things into your own hands and being the neighborhood enforcer is a bad, bad idea.

Well said.

Be forceful. Let them know that you're that you're not going away. Keep causing a stir until something is done, it's your right to complain. The kind of vigilante non-sense advocated elsewhere is the kind of stuff that makes the news and sheds a bad light on gun owners in general. (I'll stop now, that line's getting very close).

That being said, if you or your family ever are in danger though, take it out.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

The next time the dog comes around,be nice to it. Offer it a nice cool bowl of some sweet anti-freeze. It's much cleaner than a gun.

Actually,I'm just kidding. Call the your local animal warden. I'm sure nearly every county in the country has one of those. Also call the sherriff's department and make a complaint and ask them to go by to talk to your neighbors. At the every least you will have a record of what's happening in case you do have to resort to more forceful means.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    So it's ok for you to go onto his property showing a gun for an incident that didn't even happen to you? If some nosy neighbor comes up to my door with a gun, they will be leaving my property very sorry. Go ahead, make my day

I strongly advocate calling the animal control officer, and as rotnoid has said, be forceful and persistent. It would not hurt to call sheriff as well. This is obviously nothing that should be taken lightly and it needs to be addressed now. The next time that dog is loose (if there is a next time) needs to be the last time. I am a dog owner and dog lover and I have nothing but disdain for irresponsible dog owners, ranging from those who do not pick up for their dogs to those who do not control them. No matter what the neighbor may say (I believe I understand you have talked with him first), this is no trivial matter and not something that can keep happening, regardless of how nice he may claim the dog to be.

We live out in the country, with no neighbors within 1000 linear yards. Fortunately this removes me from many (but not all) of the concerns about neighbors' dogs trespassing. However we will occasionally get a stray, which when that happens is even a little more disconcerting as we have no idea or knowledge of the animal. One time it was a pitbull and it was not cool at all. The animal was obviously not well. In this case, since it was a pitbull, the sheriff dept was willing to take care of it and they had it off my property within the hour.

Do not rest until that dog is in a secured fenced in area or is removed from that owner. And certainly be ready to protect your family when outside until the threat is gone. Just so it is clear, I am not saying this just because it is a pitbull, I would say the same thing for any larger dog that could certainly cause harm to any person. I cannot imagine that person will continue to own this dog very long.

Best of luck getting this resolved quickly.
    Last edited by bucksfan; 03-28-2008 at 01:41 PM.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Ltlabner with the voice of reason...who woulda thunk it?

Calling animal control is definitely step one. Give them a chance to handle it first. If that fails, then I'd have no problems shooting the dog if it was on my property threatening anyone in my family. But give the animal control folks a chance to resolve it peacefully first.

I had my pistol visable in my pants.
    That's two gun incidents eh George... the guy in the road and your neighbor.

Charming approach you have there.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    That's two gun incidents eh George... the guy in the road and your neighbor.

Charming approach you have there.
    I thought the same thing you just beat me to it.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I would go with something a little less deadly than a shotgun. BB guns are very quiet, and they give the dog a good reminder to stay off your property. Lots of firecrackers can do the same thing.

The only way I would shoot the dog would be if it was loose, and your daughter is outside. Of course, not if the dog is even remotely close to your daughter though.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

The ironic thing about all the "get your gun" responses is that if he takes a gun onto a neighbors property he might just get shot himself by someone wondering why someone is onhis property with a gun.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?