Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Laws on Dogs

Re: Laws on Dogs

Whatever the meaning of brandishing is - there is still no brandishing law in PA.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    The annoying part is that the dog threatened one of his other neighbors, not him. Yet, he feels the need to go onto the dog owners property and try to intimidate the owner. Let the police do their job. Stop trying to be Charles Bronson
    If this is directed at my original post, let me explain something.
    We live in an area where there are basically 3 families.
    The dog owner,myself,my neighbor which happens to be my mother-in-law/father-in-law.
    My father-in-law was the one cornered and all three families are in easy walking distance.
    My mother-in-law was taking garbage out one night when it got out and barely got back to house.
    Also, I asked in my original post what i "can legally do !
    There was no trying to be charles bronson insinuated on my part so before you accuse and roll eyes, please read more carefully.

Anyway, I did go the the authorities the other day about it as the dog has got out again since i originally posted it thursday night.
    They said for me to go to the county attorney and get something sent to them on paper which I am doing.
    He also said " Rocko, I will say if that dog gets on your ground and is menacing or terrozing in any way, you have every right to take care of the problem yourself".

Oh yeah Red in Chicago, No, I havent directly been outside when this has happened. However the other night my daughter who is six was at her grandma's and it was time for her to come home which her grandma always walks her home.
    I heard a commotion outside and opened door to hear the search party (neighbors) out yelling to try to find the dog before someone got hurt.
    I immediately made the call telling grandma to keep my daughter inside till this thing was caught.
    They was running ten minutes late in leaving or my little girl would have been outside at the time and that was the last straw as far as I am concerned !
    Last edited by jmac; 03-30-2008 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rocko View Post
    If this is directed at my original post, let me explain something.
    We live in an area where there are basically 3 families.
    The dog owner,myself,my neighbor which happens to be my mother-in-law/father-in-law.
    My father-in-law was the one cornered and all three families are in easy walking distance.
    My mother-in-law was taking garbage out one night when it got out and barely got back to house.
    Also, I asked in my original post what i "can legally do !
    There was no trying to be charles bronson insinuated on my part so before you accuse and roll eyes, please read more carefully.

Anyway, I did go the the authorities the other day about it as the dog has got out again since i originally posted it thursday night.
    They said for me to go to the county attorney and get something sent to them on paper which I am doing.
    He also said " Rocko, I will say if that dog gets on your ground and is menacing or terrozing in any way, you have every right to take care of the problem yourself".

Oh yeah Red in Chicago, No, I havent directly been outside when this has happened. However the other night my daughter who is six was at her grandma's and it was time for her to come home which her grandma always walks her home.
    I heard a commotion outside and opened door to hear the search party (neighbors) out yelling to try to find the dog before someone got hurt.
    I immediately made the call telling grandma to keep my daughter inside till this thing was caught.
    They was running ten minutes late in leaving or my little girl would have been outside at the time and that was the last straw as far as I am concerned !
    Um, my post wasn't geared toward you Rocko.

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Not it my state, the firearm was visable, and I have a permit, you need to learn the law. The saftey of my children comes first, I make no apology for that ever. I will not allow someone else's irresponsible behavior put my children in danger. I will be proactive, always. My children will never be in danger of someone else or someone else's dog in their own yard. If you do not feel the same way I feel sorry for your kids, if you have any.
    The implication that any parent who does not own firearms isn't interested in protecting his kids is a little bananas, George.

You can have a rational discussion about your rights without pitying Ltlabner's theoretical unprotected children.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    Um, my post wasn't geared toward you Rocko.
    No problem.
    Just misunderstood ya.

I think threatening to shoot someone's dog is justified, but I also think that should be a last resort. Well, actually killing the dog is the last resort, but you get my drift. And just as an aside, if some guy comes into my yard with a handgun tucked in his belt, the first thing I'm doing is ducking into the house to unlock my 12 gauge. That idea is just crazy talk- you don't need to carry the gun with you to threaten to kill the dog, and if you do carry it with you there is a very good chance you may get a nice hole in yourself. That ought to make it pretty hard to protect your kids in the future, if you ask me. You can just as easily pick up the phone and tell the guy what to expect if he doesn't take care of this.

Anyway, I'm not sure what you mean by saying the neighbor has been warned repeatedly, but if it's not been by the authorities my suggestion would be to make sure they get involved. You have every right in the world to ask them to intervene in this situation. I assume that you have also asked this person in a reasonably tone to take appropriate measures to keep the dog under control, but if you haven't there is no harm in trying to do so. But I don't know the guy, so you know better whether that will work or not.

Having said that, if you or your loved ones are threatened by this dog before the sheriff can help iron it out, then by all means, do what you have to do. Just make sure you don't end up shooting the person you are trying to protect.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Off on a tangent, but there always seems to be a dog on the loose in my neighborhood. Just the other day I got a frantic lab that had no collar back home after he was spotted just "hanging out" all day.

I understand that dogs can get loose now and again, but it happens so regularly that I wonder if some folks around here even try to keep their dogs fenced in. I don't mind playing "search & rescue" for the local dogs, but it's not really fair to the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Off on a tangent, but there always seems to be a dog on the loose in my neighborhood. Just the other day I got a frantic lab that had no collar back home after he was spotted just "hanging out" all day.

I understand that dogs can get loose now and again, but it happens so regularly that I wonder if some folks around here even try to keep their dogs fenced in. I don't mind playing "search & rescue" for the local dogs, but it's not really fair to the dog.
    I like the invisible fence, personally. I wish more dog owners would get them because it lets the dog run around in the yard without worrying about it getting loose in the neighborhood. Works great for my border collie mix. Unfortunately, I don't think they work well with pit bulls because their necks are so big and strong the shock collar doesn't phase them. The only other problems is that some people run the fence right along the sidewalk, when you should really have it at least 10 ft off the sidewalk so that your dog can't run right up to people walking past.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Well, the other scary thing like that is for dog owners like me. I have a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. Not exactly the most vicious dog. hehe. I would always worry about another dog coming into the yard and attacking them.

"A yard is just a bigger cage."

That's what a vet said to me once. What he meant was that having a yard should not replace exercising your dog. Male dogs especially need to get out into the neighborhood to mark, to see who else is occupying their territory, and to learn about their surroundings. Keeping a male dog in a yard prevents them from doing what their instincts tell them to do.

That's no reason to let them wander; instead the critters need to get out with you on that leash a couple times a day. The particular dog that caused the quote above was a male Labrador Retriever I had just taken off a friends hands. The vet was telling me I had just taken on the responsibility to make sure this sporting dog got the right care and attention. It was a lot of work, but I'm convinced he was a better dog for it.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    The vet was telling me I had just taken on the responsibility to make sure this sporting dog got the right care and attention. It was a lot of work, but I'm convinced he was a better dog for it.
    That was part of the problem of the stray lab I returned the other day. Poor thing was grosly overweight and the owner couldn't figure out why it always darted out of the yard at any given chance after sitting inside doing nothing all day.

We have to get back into the pattern of walking our girl now that winter is over. Mrs Ltlabner usually walks the dog 3 or 4 times week and I'll do it once or twice. Now that it isn't subzero and snowy the dog has been giving us subtle hints like standing at the front door or staring longinly at her leash.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 03-31-2008 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Well, the other scary thing like that is for dog owners like me. I have a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. Not exactly the most vicious dog. hehe. I would always worry about another dog coming into the yard and attacking them.
    Watch out for those Corgis. They can take you right out at the ankles.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Watch out for those Corgis. They can take you right out at the ankles.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I don't think they had invisible fence back in my dog's day.

Scares the crap out of me when I'm out walking and loose dogs come tearing at you right to the edge of the road.

They seem cool though. All the neighborhood kids loved my dog and vice versa. We lived on a quiet dead end street. He would've loved sitting at the edge of our yard while they were out playing ball and whatnot. He was a a big dopey Samoyed/Lab mix. I don't think the shock through all that fur would've phased him enough to keep him in the yard.

I couldn't trust him with anyone in a uniform though. He had a habit of pinning the meter man against the wall in our garage. (Who was dumb enough to open a garage door with a big Beware of Dog sign on it).

The cops came to our house because my brother's car died and was left somewhere. My dog wouldn't let the cop get out of the car. He didn't bite or growl ...... he just put his big paws on the windows and told the uniformed stranger that he should stay where he was.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

So on the invisable fence deals...do they do anything to keep other dogs out of your yard? I'd hate to have the loose dogs in the neighborhood driving my dog nuts while she is basically "trapped" in her yard.

Turn Off Ads?