Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Laws on Dogs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    part of BBN

Laws on Dogs

Okay, I do not like starting threads. First one in fact.
    Here is my problem. We live outside city limits and have a problem with a neighbor who has a dog which has got loose on several occassions lately. The dog is a pitbull or part pitbull and when loose has cornered a neighbor on two different occassions.
    They have been warned repeatedly about keeping this dog chained but he continously gets loose.
    I have a little girl and I have stated I dont plan on her being scared all summer to go outside.
    My question is what can I legally do ?
    If I go to the authorities, can they do something or what is the best action to take?
    I would appreciate genuine advice from any Redzoners.

Re: Laws on Dogs

Wow that is scary, rocko. If it were me, I'd call the sheriff's department, tell them about the situation, and tell them that if the dog "threatens" you, you'll shoot it. Tell the neighbors the same thing. Next time the dog gets out, kill it. That's harsh, I know, but it's not worth risking your little girl's life.

The owner's will either take care of the problem or you'll take care of it for them.

The police can't really do anything proactive, but if you call ahead about your worries and what you're planning on doing, you will have your concerns on record. You do not have to be scared in your own neighborhood of a rogue, dangerous animal.

I actually agree with Willy. If you feel threatened by an animal on your property, and ca n do away with it without putting others (people or pets) in jeopardy, you may want to do it. Warn the neighbor first and see what happens. I'm not some kind of redneck or neanderthal who thinks this is a normal way of solving problems, but if I was concerned about me family's safety I wouldn't think twice about it.

Use a shotgun.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

You tell the owner, "if the dog is in my yard again I will put a hole it it's head"

You don't take a chance on your daughter getting killed or permenently disfugured. NO CHANCE.

Don't worry about the law, do the right thing. No jury is going to convict you for killing a pit bull in your yard.

Who cares if they do, your daughter is safer. You must protect your daughter, period. Nice guys end up with dead or disfigured children.

The exact same thing happen to me 4 years ago. A neighbor had a pit bull that was chained in the back yard with one of those screw in the ground chains. It rained about 2 inches one day and the dog pulled the chain out of the mud. He was running around the neighborhood draging the chain and almost attacked my next door neighbor, he fought off the dog with a lawn chair.

That night me and him went to the dog owners house. I had my pistol visable in my pants. I told him If his dog was ever in my yard, I was not going to call anybody...I was just going to kill it.

I also told him if the dog ever attacked my daughter it would be the worse day in his life. ( I let his imagination wonder!) My neighbor pretty much said the samething.

The guy got rid of the dog within the week.

Protect your family....no one else will.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    That night me and him went to the dog owners house. I had my pistol visable in my pants. I told him If his dog was ever in my yard, I was not going to call anybody...I was just going to kill it.
    So it's ok for you to go onto his property showing a gun for an incident that didn't even happen to you? If some nosy neighbor comes up to my door with a gun, they will be leaving my property very sorry. Go ahead, make my day

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I had my pistol visable in my pants.
    Today's out of context winner?

Or instead of going all rambo you could simply call your county government and see if there is a "animal control agency". Make sure they understand how threatening the dog has been and request that they come pick up the dog right away. Be insistant and make sure they respond yesterday.

They can most safely capture the animal, determine if it is unsafe, and if neccessary humanely put the animal down. Also, many communities have viscious or nuiscence dog laws so the owers will be cited as well.

Do not kill the dog unless it is activley attacking someone. If you do shoot it while it is mearly taking a dump in your yard or sniffing your flowers you will be convicted for negligent discharge of a firearm, possibly have your firearm confiscated and will likely open yourself up to a civil suit.

If it's got someone cornered or is attacking someone I wouldn't have a moments hesitation to shoot the animal. However, just taking things into your own hands and being the neighborhood enforcer is a bad, bad idea.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 03-28-2008 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Or instead of going all rambo you could simply call your county government and see if there is a "animal control agency". Make sure they understand how threatening the dog has been and request that they come pick up the dog right away. Be insistant and make sure they respond yesterday.

They can most safely capture the animal, determine if it is unsafe, and if neccessary humanely put the animal down. Also, many communities have viscious or nuiscence dog laws so the owers will be cited as well.

Do not kill the dog unless it is activley attacking someone. If you do shoot it while it is mearly taking a dump in your yard or sniffing your flowers you will be convicted for negligent discharge of a firearm, possibly have your firearm confiscated and will likely open yourself up to a civil suit.

If it's got someone cornered or is attacking someone I wouldn't have a moments hesitation to shoot the animal. However, just taking things into your own hands and being the neighborhood enforcer is a bad, bad idea.

Well said.

Be forceful. Let them know that you're that you're not going away. Keep causing a stir until something is done, it's your right to complain. The kind of vigilante non-sense advocated elsewhere is the kind of stuff that makes the news and sheds a bad light on gun owners in general. (I'll stop now, that line's getting very close).

That being said, if you or your family ever are in danger though, take it out.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

If a pitbull is on your property you had better not wait until it is actively mauling your little girl or your little girl will likely be dead.

Pitbulls are bred for aggressiveness and the ability to kill.

We're not talking about a toy poodle here.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    If a pitbull is on your property you had better not wait until it is actively mauling your little girl or your little girl will likely be dead.

We're not talking about a toy poodle here.
    I agree. I know a guy who had to beat his pit bull to death to get it to stop mauling a neighbour's dog. And he got another one. Owning a pit bull is dumb, IM-not so-HO.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 03-28-2008 at 10:20 PM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I agree. I know a guy who had to beat his pit bull to death to get it to stop mauling a neighbour's dog. And he got another one. Owning a pit bull is dumb, IM-not so-HO.
    Ahhh. I wouldn't go that far. It Probably had something to do with the owner.

Pit bulls are illegal in Denver, so they get confiscated and sent up to the Boulder shelter. A large portion (half?) of the dogs in the Boulder shelter are pit bulls or pit-mixes. For the most part, the pit bull owners in Boulder are responsible and even-tempered and (big surprise) so are their dogs.

In metro-Boston, such was not the case. A lot of times, the bullethead gangbangers were drawn to pit bull ownership. It wasn't uncommon for the MS-13-wannabes in my 'hood to brandish their pit bulls in a menacing way.

OTOH, if you are an experienced dog owner WITHOUT small children, a lot of time to train your dog, a lot of time to spend with your dog, then they can be extremely loyal and loving pets. The non-pit below is my dog. The pit is his former girlfriend back in Boston, who he misses terribly. As you can see from the Marv Albert impersonation, he's into the kinky rough stuff.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post

So were Rotwilers. Do you shoot them without cause also?

Cesar Milan has many pits in his pack. Do you just plunk them too?

I don't think it makes a lot of sense to shoot a dog on your property just because it's there, Wily. There's a lot of other more reasonable and safe steps to take before running for the shotty. Besides a lot of people can't even properly identify a pit, let alone make a determiniation if it's agressive. And if it's a mut that appears to be a pit? What then? Or it is a pit, but has been in a family with kids for 9 years and never once shown a sign of agressiveness? You really want to carry a dead dog carcas back to little Timmy down the street and say "opps"?

I agree pits can be dangerous, and are more likely to be dangerous. But ANY stray dog comes in my yard, the kids are in the house or seperated by a fence right now. My wife or I go out and make a determination as to whether its a neighborhood dog who escaped, a stray or possibly sick/threatening and respond appropriatley. And there's a bunch of steps in between pull the kids inside to chambering a round into the Wingmaster.

BTW, totally agree on using a deer slug. Cops have empted entire Glock 17 mags into attacking pits (that's 17rounds of 9mm jacketed hollowpoints) without killing the animal or stopping the attack.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 03-29-2008 at 06:13 PM.

You do realize you committed a crime there right? Check out "brandishing a firearm".

This is peanut gallery stuff, but it's those sorts of bonehead moves that cause responsible gun owners so many headaches.

You do realize you committed a crime there right? Check out "brandishing a firearm".

This is peanut gallery stuff, but it's those sorts of bonehead moves that cause responsible gun owners so many headaches.
    Not it my state, the firearm was visable, and I have a permit, you need to learn the law. The saftey of my children comes first, I make no apology for that ever. I will not allow someone else's irresponsible behavior put my children in danger. I will be proactive, always. My children will never be in danger of someone else or someone else's dog in their own yard. If you do not feel the same way I feel sorry for your kids, if you have any.

You can also shot any dog in your yard that is not on a leach in my county. Guess what...that law does a good job in keeping other people's dog's out of your yard.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Ltlabner with the voice of reason...who woulda thunk it? .
    Crazy aint it? I my meds are working great today.

Not it my state, the firearm was visable, and I have a permit, you need to learn the law. If you do not feel the same way I feel sorry for your kids, if you have any.
    If you don't understand the difference between open carry and brandishing then I'd suggest you are the one who needs to crack the law books a bit.

If you read my original post I said I'd drop a dog that was threatening my family in a heartbeat. But shoot any ole dog that wanders into my yard? No, I think most folks with brains realize what a bad idea that is.

Turn Off Ads?