Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Laws on Dogs

Re: Laws on Dogs

I wrote a paper in my Animal Law class on leash laws and pitbull attack numbers were a significant aspect of my work. The percentage of pitbull attacks on children that end up being fatal are staggeringly high. After I call the sheriff and tell the neighbor to keep their dangerous animal secured, I would be totally within my rights to kill the animal if it came on my property. Anyone who wouldn't do such a thing is the irresponsible one, IMO.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    part of BBN

Thanks everyone for your insight !

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Or instead of going all rambo you could simply call your county government and see if there is a "animal control agency". Make sure they understand how threatening the dog has been and request that they come pick up the dog right away. Be insistant and make sure they respond yesterday.

They can most safely capture the animal, determine if it is unsafe, and if neccessary humanely put the animal down. Also, many communities have viscious or nuiscence dog laws so the owers will be cited as well.

Do not kill the dog unless it is activley attacking someone. If you do shoot it while it is mearly taking a dump in your yard or sniffing your flowers you will be convicted for negligent discharge of a firearm, possibly have your firearm confiscated and will likely open yourself up to a civil suit.

If it's got someone cornered or is attacking someone I wouldn't have a moments hesitation to shoot the animal. However, just taking things into your own hands and being the neighborhood enforcer is a bad, bad idea.
    If a pitbull is on your property you had better not wait until it is actively mauling your little girl or your little girl will likely be dead.

Pitbulls are bred for aggressiveness and the ability to kill.

We're not talking about a toy poodle here.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Wearing ammo strapped across your chest when doing chores is good cardio as well.
    Happiness is a belt fed weapon.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    If a pitbull is on your property you had better not wait until it is actively mauling your little girl or your little girl will likely be dead.

Pitbulls are bred for aggressiveness and the ability to kill.

We're not talking about a toy poodle here.
    I agree. I know a guy who had to beat his pit bull to death to get it to stop mauling a neighbour's dog. And he got another one. Owning a pit bull is dumb, IM-not so-HO.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 03-28-2008 at 10:20 PM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Call animal control and the authorities.

Had an incident a few months ago where my wife & 4 year old took a walk to a park. Yippee little dog that barks incessantly down at the end of the street saw us coming, ran through the electric fence, and bit Mrs. fan while we were on the sidewalk. Owner was nowhere in sight.

Got the dog off my wife, then stormed to the front door. Told the owners that if they have a dog, they have a responsibility to either keep it inside, or properly secured and supervised outside. Then I let her know how lucky she was that it chose to bite my wife and not my 4 year old. Or any other kid in the neighborhood. It would have gotten all kinds of nasty at that point.

As it was, the dog was quarantined for 10 days by the county. Haven't seen it or heard it since.

If you have a little kid and the neighbor has a pitbull, the time to act is yesterday. My guess is that your neighbors will gladly join the cause.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I agree. I know a guy who had to beat his pit bull to death to get it to stop mauling a neighbour's dog. And he got another one. Owning a pit bull is dumb, IM-not so-HO.
    Ahhh. I wouldn't go that far. It Probably had something to do with the owner.

Pit bulls are illegal in Denver, so they get confiscated and sent up to the Boulder shelter. A large portion (half?) of the dogs in the Boulder shelter are pit bulls or pit-mixes. For the most part, the pit bull owners in Boulder are responsible and even-tempered and (big surprise) so are their dogs.

In metro-Boston, such was not the case. A lot of times, the bullethead gangbangers were drawn to pit bull ownership. It wasn't uncommon for the MS-13-wannabes in my 'hood to brandish their pit bulls in a menacing way.

OTOH, if you are an experienced dog owner WITHOUT small children, a lot of time to train your dog, a lot of time to spend with your dog, then they can be extremely loyal and loving pets. The non-pit below is my dog. The pit is his former girlfriend back in Boston, who he misses terribly. As you can see from the Marv Albert impersonation, he's into the kinky rough stuff.
    Stick to your guns.

Those of you waving guns around the neighborhood ready to shoot the dog ........ what happens when you miss and shoot a child? Please don't tell me that it couldn't possibly happen. It can and does.

Quite frankly, I find you more dangerous than the loose dog.

Call the authorities - animal control and sheriff.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    Those of you waving guns around the neighborhood ready to shoot the dog ........ what happens when you miss and shoot a child? Please don't tell me that it couldn't possibly happen. It can and does.

Quite frankly, I find you more dangerous than the loose dog.

Call the authorities - animal control and sheriff.
    I don't know about all cities, but here it is impossible to get anything done. I have made that call several times. I get the animal control department, and all you can do is leave a message with whoever answers the phone. Maybe an hour later the officer drives by. Wonder where that dog is now?

Couple of years ago there was a medium sized mutt loose around here. It was left by someone who moved away, I think. I would step outside and it would approach me growling pretty aggressively. My kids were afraid to go outsisde. I called the police several times. Once he even darted it, but it escaped and he couldn't find him. Finally, it seemed to disappear (not by anything I did).

In this case what other alternatives exist? I mean, if it did not disappear? Make my kids stay inside all summer waiting for the police to take care of something they didn't seem to care about?

I don't advocate killing every dog that runs through my yard- that doesn't bother me. I don't own a gun. Probably 99% of the strays I see are friendly, and probably most are loose accidentily. Occaisionally there is a problem.

If one of my kids had to go to the hospital after a mauling and it was an animal that had presented a threat previously, would I not be remiss in my responsibilities as a a parent by not averting a danger that I knew existed, but chose to wait in hopes of the city taking care of it?

Is that a run-on sentence?

And if I had to deal with this problem by killing a dog, it isn't like I would enjoy it. I would view it as something I unfortunately had to do. It would probably bother me.
    Last edited by 919191; 03-29-2008 at 09:24 AM.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Some dog owners give the rest of us a bad name.

I have a neighbor who has had a number of dogs he's failed to properly control. The first was a little yippie dog that was cute, but always loose. Mom and dad would never chase after it, so it was always up to the kids and their friends to go after it. These kids and their friends were pretty young, certainly too young to be chasing a dog through neighborhood streets unsupervised. One night my wife and I were coming home from a night out and saw the dog in the street in front of our house. I drove right up to it before turning into my driveway and said, "That dog is going to get hit." Sure enough, right as I park in the garage and get out of the car, another car comes by and hits it. Poor thing makes it into a neighbor's yard and starts yelping. I run to catch the dog and comfort it while my wife runs down the street to get the owners. When she got there, it was clear the kids heard what happened, as they were standing there with looks of shock on their faces. Meanwhile, dad is completely uninterested. She had to tell him his dog was still alive so that he would come get it. The next day, his wife comes by and starts asking me questions in an accusatory tone. Hey, I caught your dog and tried to keep it calm, lady. I heard months later that they never took the dog to the vet and let it die a slow death in their garage.

They then got two dobermans. The dobermans were left outside all the time and barked incessantly. When they got a divorce and the wife moved out (she always acted like a 30 yr old teenager), the dogs were left outside until animal control came by and told him to get rid of the dogs or face charges.

Now the dude has a new girlfriend moving in and two new dogs, one for her kids and one for his. This new dog for his kids is smaller like the first dog, but once again he lets it roam free through the neighborhood, leaving the kids to chase it. It's always in the street and I'm ticked off because I don't want to be the one who has to take care of it when it gets hit and I certainly don't want my two young boys traumatized if they witness it.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

It was something I had to do, believe it or not, with a stray cat. The thing was like a miniature bobcat or something, obviously not a pet, and it beat the crap out of one of ours (to the tune of a few hundred dollars vet bill). I did not feel good about it at all, but something I had to do. Our officials will respond well to dog issues, but I would not expect them to do the same for cats. I have also see a coyote or 2 on our property but thankfully not often and our cats have made it 9 + years on guts, instincts, and undoubtedly some luck.

I know not all pitbulls are mean. However history shows many are. THe likelihood increases with the fact that the owner does not keep his confined properly, (i.e. irresponsibility). You seriously cannot run any sort of risk with your daughter or yourself. By all means follow the normal channels but if they cannot resolve asap once you show a photo of it on your property or something (great idea by the way!), you need to do what you can to reasonably protect your family. If you are not familiar or comfortable with a gun, by all means don't start now. But possibly find a friend who is. Of course all this depends on where you live also. I am far from where I can harm anyone. If I was in town I would not be comfortable with such an undertaking due to safety concerns.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    I don't know about all cities, but here it is impossible to get anything done. I have made that call several times. I get the animal control department, and all you can do is leave a message with whoever answers the phone. Maybe an hour later the officer drives by. Wonder where that dog is now?

Couple of years ago there was a medium sized mutt loose around here. It was left by someone who moved away, I think. I would step outside and it would approach me growling pretty aggressively. My kids were afraid to go outsisde. I called the police several times. Once he even darted it, but it escaped and he couldn't find him. Finally, it seemed to disappear (not by anything I did).

In this case what other alternatives exist? I mean, if it did not disappear? Make my kids stay inside all summer waiting for the police to take care of something they didn't seem to care about?

I don't advocate killing every dog that runs through my yard- that doesn't bother me. I don't own a gun. Probably 99% of the strays I see are friendly, and probably most are loose accidentily. Occaisionally there is a problem.

If one of my kids had to go to the hospital after a mauling and it was an animal that had presented a threat previously, would I not be remiss in my responsibilities as a a parent by not averting a danger that I knew existed, but chose to wait in hopes of the city taking care of it?

Is that a run-on sentence?

And if I had to deal with this problem by killing a dog, it isn't like I would enjoy it. I would view it as something I unfortunately had to do. It would probably bother me.
    Write your congressman. No, I'm not being a smart ass. Go to the press. Say something about it to someone higher up. Yeah, it's more work--but it's for the general good.

Look, in extreme circumstances, you got to do what you got to do; but see to it that the bureau in your community gets a reaming for not doing their job.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Yeah, we used to have a problem with our neighbor's cats fighting with ours. One was particularly insane and attacked me while I was out raking leaves.

I went out and banged pots and pans everytime they entered our yard. Eventually they learned the boundaries and stayed clear.

It was comical. I'd walk out of the house and calmly say ..... "Hi, Dandy or Hi *insert forgotten cat name*"

They'd run away as fast as they could.

We also have a beautiful chocolate lab that roams free in our neighborhood. He's friendly enough and I've made a point to see how he behaves around TeamGriffey and other children. I think he's safe enough but it's still troubling how the owners let him roam. I usually take him by the collar and bring him home or chase him off.

My next door neighbor has 5 dogs and you'd never know it. They are so well behaved and well cared for. I offer to babysit when they go away. They're a pleasure to be with.

The house next door to them has 4 dogs and 3 of them live in the backyard like livestock. It makes me sick. The little dog that lives in the house is so overfed, it waddles. I think the guy loves the dogs but simply doesn't know how to care for them.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Happiness is a belt fed weapon.
    I thought Happiness is a warm gun.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post
    It was something I had to do, believe it or not, with a stray cat. The thing was like a miniature bobcat or something, obviously not a pet, and it beat the crap out of one of ours (to the tune of a few hundred dollars vet bill). I did not feel good about it at all, but something I had to do. Our officials will respond well to dog issues, but I would not expect them to do the same for cats. I have also see a coyote or 2 on our property but thankfully not often and our cats have made it 9 + years on guts, instincts, and undoubtedly some luck.

I know not all pitbulls are mean. However history shows many are. THe likelihood increases with the fact that the owner does not keep his confined properly, (i.e. irresponsibility). You seriously cannot run any sort of risk with your daughter or yourself. By all means follow the normal channels but if they cannot resolve asap once you show a photo of it on your property or something (great idea by the way!), you need to do what you can to reasonably protect your family. If you are not familiar or comfortable with a gun, by all means don't start now. But possibly find a friend who is. Of course all this depends on where you live also. I am far from where I can harm anyone. If I was in town I would not be comfortable with such an undertaking due to safety concerns.

That's hilarious!

Turn Off Ads?