Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Laws on Dogs

Re: Laws on Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    Those of you waving guns around the neighborhood ready to shoot the dog ........ what happens when you miss and shoot a child? Please don't tell me that it couldn't possibly happen. It can and does.

Quite frankly, I find you more dangerous than the loose dog.

Call the authorities - animal control and sheriff.
    I've been responsibly using guns my entire life. If I fire my shotgun with the intent to kill a dog, you can damn sure bet that it will be done in a way that ENSURES the safety of everyone else.

There's a reason why 200 men can congregate on the same field and go dove hunting without anyone getting shot.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    There's a reason why 200 men can congregate on the same field and go dove hunting without anyone getting shot.
    Unless one of those men is Dick Cheney.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Unless one of those men is Dick Cheney.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

TRUE!!!

TeamCasey, if you are going to shoot a gun, you had better darn well be sure that you hit what you are aiming at. Wildly aiming guns is not something that responsible people do. Call the authorities, but my family will not be terrorized or harmed by some idiot's vicious dog.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Ltlabner with the voice of reason...who woulda thunk it? .
    Crazy aint it? I my meds are working great today.

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Not it my state, the firearm was visable, and I have a permit, you need to learn the law. If you do not feel the same way I feel sorry for your kids, if you have any.
    If you don't understand the difference between open carry and brandishing then I'd suggest you are the one who needs to crack the law books a bit.

If you read my original post I said I'd drop a dog that was threatening my family in a heartbeat. But shoot any ole dog that wanders into my yard? No, I think most folks with brains realize what a bad idea that is.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    If a pitbull is on your property you had better not wait until it is actively mauling your little girl or your little girl will likely be dead.

Pitbulls are bred for aggressiveness and the ability to kill.
    So were Rotwilers. Do you shoot them without cause also?

Cesar Milan has many pits in his pack. Do you just plunk them too?

I don't think it makes a lot of sense to shoot a dog on your property just because it's there, Wily. There's a lot of other more reasonable and safe steps to take before running for the shotty. Besides a lot of people can't even properly identify a pit, let alone make a determiniation if it's agressive. And if it's a mut that appears to be a pit? What then? Or it is a pit, but has been in a family with kids for 9 years and never once shown a sign of agressiveness? You really want to carry a dead dog carcas back to little Timmy down the street and say "opps"?

I agree pits can be dangerous, and are more likely to be dangerous. But ANY stray dog comes in my yard, the kids are in the house or seperated by a fence right now. My wife or I go out and make a determination as to whether its a neighborhood dog who escaped, a stray or possibly sick/threatening and respond appropriatley. And there's a bunch of steps in between pull the kids inside to chambering a round into the Wingmaster.

BTW, totally agree on using a deer slug. Cops have empted entire Glock 17 mags into attacking pits (that's 17rounds of 9mm jacketed hollowpoints) without killing the animal or stopping the attack.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 03-29-2008 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post

If you don't understand the difference between open carry and brandishing then I'd suggest you are the one who needs to crack the law books a bit.

He doesn't have them mixed up, there is simply no brandishing law in the state of PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post

If you read my original post I said I'd drop a dog that was threatening my family in a heartbeat. But shoot any ole dog that wanders into my yard? No, I think most folks with brains realize what a bad idea that is.
    Your comparing apples and oranges. IF YOU READ my origional post this dog already tried to attack my neighbor and he had to fight it off with a lawn chair. This was not some old lab, your making stuff up to justify your argument.

Having a gun visible in your pants, is not concealed and is not brandishing, were do you come from? This definiton should help educate you.

Brandish \Bran"dish\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Brandished; p. pr. & vb. n. Brandishing.]

[OE. braundisen, F. brandir, fr. brand a sword, fr. OHG. brant brand. See Brand, n.]

1. To move or wave, as a weapon; to raise and move in various directions; to shake or flourish.

The quivering lance which he brandished bright. --Drake.

2. To play with; to flourish; as, to brandish syllogisms.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

My ex-girlfriend worked for the city in animal control. Let me dispel a few myths and mis-conceptions that have been stated on this post.

1) A pitt bull which is properly raised will be as gentle, loving and loyal as a lab, poodle, cocker spaniel, or any other dog. The problem with pitt bulls is that if they do attack, they have a lock jaw, which is capable of killing a person. This is why dog fighters use, and train them. Just a few decades ago, Pitt bulls were actually considered the safest dogs to be with children, and nicknamed the "Nanny" dog. It was only when they started being used and bred for dog fighting did they get the reputation they have now.

2) There is a huge difference between a pitt bull and a pitt bull mix. There are almost no pitt bull mixes that are dangerous. Nearly all pitt bull mixes would not have the lock jaw, so they would not be capable of killing a human. Also, mixes are almost by definition better tempered than pure breds of any kind. (Being inbred would make anyone meaner, and less stable) Of course it all depends on what it is mixed with. Still, virtually no one would train the pitt bull mix to be aggressive, since it would not make a good fighter. The weakest pure bred pitt bull will destroy nearly any pitt bull mix.

3) Nearly any dog, away from its home, will be aggressive towards strangers. In her job, my ex girlfriend has been cornered by golden retrievers, labs, and even small "Paris Hilton" dogs. Dogs away from home are very scared, and their instinct is to defend themselves so they get very defensive. So, Rocko, the behavior you see in your neighbor's dog is very common and does not mean that it will attack humans. The fact that it has cornered humans and not attacked them suggests that he will not attack unless he is attacked.

Still, because anything can happen, stay away from any stray dogs, and make sure to keep all children away from all stray dogs. You are very justified in being worried, and your neighbor must be taught to keep his dog secure at all times. Simply report him to the police. The city will have no problem taking away a dog from a owner who can't keep it secure. That is the first rule of owning a dog. You must keep it secure and safe. If you can back up that this has happened more than once, there is a good chance the city will take the dog away, at least until it can be sure that the owner has taken proper measures to keep the dog secure. The city has zero tolerance for owners like your neighbor.

That is a very scary situation, good luck.

Having a gun visible in your pants, is not concealed and is not brandishing, were do you come from?
    You should have looked at more than one website. Had you done so, you would have quickly seen the error of your ways. I'll assume you didn't omit these web entries since they didn't happen to support your position and simply overlooked them....(by the way, they were all located on the first page of my websearch).

(1) bran·dish (brndsh)
    tr.v. bran·dished, bran·dish·ing, bran·dish·es
    1. To wave or flourish (a weapon, for example) menacingly.
    2. To display ostentatiously. See Synonyms at flourish.

From here

(2) Verb: brandish brandish
    Move or swing back and forth
    - flourish, wave

Exhibit aggressively

From here

(3) brandish Definition bran·dish (bran′dis̸h)

transitive verb

to wave, shake, or exhibit in a menacing, challenging, or exultant way; flourish

From here

(4) Main Entry: 1bran·dish
    Pronunciation: \ˈbran-dish\
    Function: transitive verb
    Etymology: Middle English braundisshen, from Anglo-French brandiss-, stem of brandir, from brant, braund sword, of Germanic origin; akin to Old English brand
    Date: 14th century
    1 : to shake or wave (as a weapon) menacingly
    2 : to exhibit in an ostentatious or aggressive manner

From here

No, I'm not a lawer, but I am someone who is passionate about common sense with firearms. You see, I don't want your dumb decisions like yours to jeprodize my rights. And having a gun tucked into your pants to add extra weight to giving your neighbor what-for over a dog qualifies squarely as D-U-M-B. I'm currious, what reason did you have for having that gun showing? Was it an accident? Was it because you feared the ower would attack you? No, you did that on purpose to help make your point with more gusto.

Your EXACT words were...

That night me and him went to the dog owners house. I had my pistol visable in my pants. I told him If his dog was ever in my yard, I was not going to call anybody...I was just going to kill it.

I also told him if the dog ever attacked my daughter it would be the worse day in his life. ( I let his imagination wonder!) My neighbor pretty much said the samething.

Yea, I'd say that qualifies as brandishing, or at least there'd be enough grounds for an officer to haul you in. Unless, of course, you are exagerating the nature of the exhange for some internet bravado.

By the way, while I'm no lawer, I found this little nugget in another quick websearch. "The court of appeals has cited the following examples of conduct constituting wanton endagerment: dishcarging or brandishing a firearm in public...." From here Thats from a Kentucky court of appeals ruling. No, it's not a statute but I'd say that gives us a good hint as to the legal standing of brandishing in your state.

Beyond a legal definition (and I'd certinally welcome a Kentucky police officer or laywers opinion on this) a common sense view of what you did is that it clearly was a bad, bad, bad choice. I woln't go into all the reasons, but if you can't see that using a firearm as a little extra intimidation is poor judgement, then you are unsafe to use and own firearms. Period. I certinally wouldn't want to be next to you at the range or near you while hunting.

Since you clearly are confused over what brandishing means, I'm sure you'll fight this next nugget tooth-and-nail, but had that exchange of words escelated and you ultimatley shot him YOU would very likely have no legal leg to stand on and would be charged with some form of murder. YOU started the confrentation by walking over there, YOU escleated it by brandishing a weapon and YOU further esclated it by dropping threats (see bolded part of your quote). And based on your charming responces on this thread, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume you would have kept upping the ante in my hypothetical.

Sorry bud, I'm sure I'll get a lengthy and charming responce, but you chose very poorly by tucking the weapon in your wasteband and equally bad judgement to brag about it on an internet forum.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 03-30-2008 at 08:09 AM.

IF YOU READ my origional post this dog already tried to attack my neighbor and he had to fight it off with a lawn chair. This was not some old lab, your making stuff up to justify your argument.
    Once again, your exact words in a subsequent post...

My children will never be in danger of someone else or someone else's dog in their own yard. If you do not feel the same way I feel sorry for your kids, if you have any.

You can also shot any dog in your yard that is not on a leach in my county. Guess what...that law does a good job in keeping other people's dog's out of your yard.
    See the bolded parts. You are clearly talking about shooting ANY dog that walks into your yard, and have moved beyond just shooting your neighbors dog.

Further, since I've posted several times that I'd shoot a threatening dog (or any other animal) without a moments hesitation, I'm clearly not talking just about your neighbors dog and have broadened the topic to ANY dog.

So yea, my comments about you drilling any ole dog that wanders in your yard were dead on the mark.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 03-30-2008 at 08:10 AM.

The annoying part is that the dog threatened one of his other neighbors, not him. Yet, he feels the need to go onto the dog owners property and try to intimidate the owner. Let the police do their job. Stop trying to be Charles Bronson

Lot of brandishing going on in here.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Lot of brandishing going on in here.
    Yeah but the real thing being swung around in big man town when brandishing is the phallus.

The Greeks would make a great play out of aforementioned scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    My ex-girlfriend worked for the city in animal control. Let me dispel a few myths and mis-conceptions that have been stated on this post.

1) A pitt bull which is properly raised will be as gentle, loving and loyal as a lab, poodle, cocker spaniel, or any other dog. The problem with pitt bulls is that if they do attack, they have a lock jaw, which is capable of killing a person. This is why dog fighters use, and train them. Just a few decades ago, Pitt bulls were actually considered the safest dogs to be with children, and nicknamed the "Nanny" dog. It was only when they started being used and bred for dog fighting did they get the reputation they have now.

2) There is a huge difference between a pitt bull and a pitt bull mix. There are almost no pitt bull mixes that are dangerous. Nearly all pitt bull mixes would not have the lock jaw, so they would not be capable of killing a human. Also, mixes are almost by definition better tempered than pure breds of any kind. (Being inbred would make anyone meaner, and less stable) Of course it all depends on what it is mixed with. Still, virtually no one would train the pitt bull mix to be aggressive, since it would not make a good fighter. The weakest pure bred pitt bull will destroy nearly any pitt bull mix.

3) Nearly any dog, away from its home, will be aggressive towards strangers. In her job, my ex girlfriend has been cornered by golden retrievers, labs, and even small "Paris Hilton" dogs. Dogs away from home are very scared, and their instinct is to defend themselves so they get very defensive. So, Rocko, the behavior you see in your neighbor's dog is very common and does not mean that it will attack humans. The fact that it has cornered humans and not attacked them suggests that he will not attack unless he is attacked.

Still, because anything can happen, stay away from any stray dogs, and make sure to keep all children away from all stray dogs. You are very justified in being worried, and your neighbor must be taught to keep his dog secure at all times. Simply report him to the police. The city will have no problem taking away a dog from a owner who can't keep it secure. That is the first rule of owning a dog. You must keep it secure and safe. If you can back up that this has happened more than once, there is a good chance the city will take the dog away, at least until it can be sure that the owner has taken proper measures to keep the dog secure. The city has zero tolerance for owners like your neighbor.

That is a very scary situation, good luck.

Thank you! Lots of misinformation going on in this thread related to pit bulls.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?