Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 146

Thread: Mike Stanton has been told he's being let go!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    7,640

    Mike Stanton has been told he's being let go!

    Per the Enquirer:

    Reds to cut Stanton
    BY JOHN ERARDI | JERARDI@ENQUIRER.COM
    E-mail | Print | digg us! | del.icio.us! | Click-2-Listen

    Reds manager Dusty Baker said this morning that the team has told reliever Mike Stanton that they are going let him go.

    The move means the Reds will eat $3 million of Stanton's contract this season, and $500,000 next season.

    Last season Stanton was 1-3 with a 5.93 ERA. He signed a two-year deal starting with the 2007 season, which included a one-year option for 2009.


    Baker and Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky did not get into specifics, but Krivsky confirmed the news.

    "We talked to Mike this morning," Krivsky said. "It was a very tough conversation."

    Krivsky did not want to comment beyond that about the Stanton because the team has not officially made the announcement.

    "Whatever Dusty told you is good enough for me. But nothing official has happened we don't have to do those kinds of things until Monday."
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

  2. #2
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: Stanton is being let go!

    I guess they plan to only have two lefties in the pen.

  3. #3
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: Stanton is being let go!

    Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I guess they plan to only have two lefties in the pen.
    it kind of makes it hard to come up with 7 relievers.

    Cordero, Burton, Weathers, Coffey, Affeldt, Mercker and ???

    Maybe Hot Rod Lincoln? He hasn't pitched anywhere since 2004 but he did come up as a Twin.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,174

    Re: Mike Stanton has been told he's being let go!

    Could we see Lincoln make the team as a multi-inning guy?
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  5. #5
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: Mike Stanton has been told he's being let go!

    if I was being let go $3M and change would sure soothe the wound.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

  6. #6
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,000

    Re: Mike Stanton has been told he's being let go!

    Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    if I was being let go $3M and change would sure soothe the wound.
    Why should it, RZ is a salt in the wound conversation hub, where assumptions, hyperbole and exaggeration dance hand in hand with gloom, despair and contempt.

    And the games haven't even started yet. LOL

  7. #7
    smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: Mike Stanton has been told he's being let go!

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Why should it, RZ is a salt in the wound conversation hub, where assumptions, hyperbole and exaggeration dance hand in hand with gloom, despair and contempt.

    And the games haven't even started yet. LOL
    and yet people come back for more

    It does have to be tough on Stanton - money or not as it may very well mean the end of his career.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

  8. #8
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,867

    Re: Mike Stanton has been told he's being let go!

    Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    and yet people come back for more

    It does have to be tough on Stanton - money or not as it may very well mean the end of his career.
    There are lots of injury induced situations out there with some contenders where he may hook on. Detroit, The LA Angels and Philly to name three. Detroit and LA may actually have parks that will help him survive the season. I'm still hopeful that the Reds can move a portion of that deal for the mid-season acquisition fund. Some team may be willing to take on some of his curent deal to avoid letting Stanton hit the market. I imagine the automatic 2009 guarantee after 71 appearances in 2008 is an impediment to a deal.

    The thing about a guy like Stanton is that a lot of his former teammates are now populating coaching staffs around baseball. That may give him an in toward keeping his career alive. Yesterday, I had Dusty mentioning that Stanton was having issues personally saying "when it rains it pours" when discussing the DFA. Makes one wonder if Stanton may just walk away even if presented an opportunity at this point.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  9. #9
    All dyslexics must untie!
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    SW Portland, OR
    Posts
    8,604

    Re: Mike Stanton has been told he's being let go!

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    There are lots of injury induced situations out there with some contenders where he may hook on. Detroit, The LA Angels and Philly to name three. Detroit and LA may actually have parks that will help him survive the season. I'm still hopeful that the Reds can move a portion of that deal for the mid-season acquisition fund. Some team may be willing to take on some of his curent deal to avoid letting Stanton hit the market. I imagine the automatic 2009 guarantee after 71 appearances in 2008 is an impediment to a deal.

    The thing about a guy like Stanton is that a lot of his former teammates are now populating coaching staffs around baseball. That may give him an in toward keeping his career alive. Yesterday, I had Dusty mentioning that Stanton was having issues personally saying "when it rains it pours" when discussing the DFA. Makes one wonder if Stanton may just walk away even if presented an opportunity at this point.
    Isn't Mike something like 50 appearances away from the most all time? (I seem to recall hearing that stat on broadcasts last season) Stanton could wind up like Orosco or Franco, bouncing around from team to team until he's 45

    or not
    Never overlook the obvious

  10. #10
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: Mike Stanton has been told he's being let go!

    It can't have been too tough, he's getting 3.5 million bucks for doing nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  11. #11
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: Mike Stanton has been told he's being let go!

    Outstanding!!!!

    Great move, Krivdawg. Everybody makes mistakes. It's what you do to correct your mistakes that shows what kind of person you are.

    Very strong.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  12. #12
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    8,104

    Re: Mike Stanton has been told he's being let go!

    Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Outstanding!!!!

    Great move, Krivdawg. Everybody makes mistakes. It's what you do to correct your mistakes that shows what kind of person you are.

    Very strong.
    Great post! Awesome decision. I am now getting a little excited about Opening Day.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

  13. #13
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: Mike Stanton has been told he's being let go!

    If it was "tough" for anyone, it should be Krivsky who handed out the ridiculous contract in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  14. #14
    Kmac5 KoryMac5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Waterloo, NY
    Posts
    3,682

    Re: Mike Stanton has been told he's being let go!

    Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    If it was "tough" for anyone, it should be Krivsky who handed out the ridiculous contract in the first place.
    I don't think it is ever easy for a GM to have to tell an owner that he made a 4 million dollar mistake. I am sure Dusty had a lot to due with this as he started laying the ground work for this move not that long ago when he stated that $$$ should not be an issue in keeping guys.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

  15. #15
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,298

    Re: Mike Stanton has been told he's being let go!

    Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I don't think it is ever easy for a GM to have to tell an owner that he made a 4 million dollar mistake. I am sure Dusty had a lot to due with this as he started laying the ground work for this move not that long ago when he stated that $$$ should not be an issue in keeping guys.
    Actually it was closer to a $7MM mistake. But who's counting?


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25