Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Stanton has been told he's being let go!

Re: Mike Stanton has been told he's being let go!

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    if I was being let go $3M and change would sure soothe the wound.
    Why should it, RZ is a salt in the wound conversation hub, where assumptions, hyperbole and exaggeration dance hand in hand with gloom, despair and contempt.

And the games haven't even started yet. LOL

2. Turn Off Ads?

Awesome. This makes the Bray move more puzzling though.

Great job by Wayne on this move.

OK,that's a good start. One down, two to go. Mercker and Brower come on down.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

This team is trying to win in 2008. Everyone keeps saying "If they would only do..." then they would prove to me they are trying to win. Well Stanton is gone, a closer is here, 2 young and very good pitchers are in the rotation not named Harang or Arroyo, and a name manager is at the helm. I don't agree with all of the moves but man this team seems to be heading in the right direction very quickly. I long for the days of discussing Carl, John Allen, JimBo, Danny Graves as a starter, etc. Give Cast and Krivs credit - they are doing the things to win.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

They couldn't even get a PTBNL for him, now that is bad, why was he even on the team to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Better zero than one.
    baby steps

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    This team is trying to win in 2008. Everyone keeps saying "If they would only do..." then they would prove to me they are trying to win. Well Stanton is gone, a closer is here, 2 young and very good pitchers are in the rotation not named Harang or Arroyo, and a name manager is at the helm. I don't agree with all of the moves but man this team seems to be heading in the right direction very quickly. I long for the days of discussing Carl, John Allen, JimBo, Danny Graves as a starter, etc. Give Cast and Krivs credit - they are doing the things to win.
    Maybe Freel and/or Hatteberg are being offered for another reliever. That would show me something. If the Reds weren't satisfied with Bray right now, let them add another plus guy for the bullpen from the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Maybe Freel and/or Hatteberg are being offered for another reliever. That would show me something. If the Reds weren't satisfied with Bray right now, let them add another plus guy for the bullpen from the outside.
    Then what would it be? I haven't seen this team try this hard to right the ship in decades. Give them time...we are getting really close to having at least one series of baseball in October.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

I hope Krivksy learned his lesson. If you don't want to have this conversation in the future, don't give multi-year contracts to guys who are likely to be washed up before it's over.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

So I assume that Hal report of the Reds nixing the trade to Philly is false.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Sounds like they found Wes Helms was the best they were going to do and decided to just eat the money rather than bring him on board. Curious? Yes. Refreshing? Absolutely. Of course, now that he's cut, look for the Phils or someone else to give him a shot on the cheap.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

I really thought this was a joke and the post would say ...north with the Reds.

Great news but either that rumor of Stanton for Helms was bogus or the Reds must hate Helms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Then what would it be? I haven't seen this team try this hard to right the ship in decades. Give them time...we are getting really close to having at least one series of baseball in October.

I'm not dissatisfied at all. They are trying. Just want to see the team have enough middle relievers who can work multi-innings and let the new closer get a chance to close.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    So I assume that Hal report of the Reds nixing the trade to Philly is false.
    not necessarily, they may have wanted no part of Helms and his salary. They can still try and trade Stanton while agreeing to eat a chunk of salary.

Good.

But I was really hoping to pitch to the Reds' FO the idea of renaming the bullpen the "Crypt," from which each pitcher would emerge in a dry-ice fog to Vincent Price's "rap" from "Thriller."

Now that the crypt-keeper's gone, though....
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?