Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Mike Stanton has been told he's being let go!

All dyslexics must untie!

Re: Mike Stanton has been told he's being let go!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    There are lots of injury induced situations out there with some contenders where he may hook on. Detroit, The LA Angels and Philly to name three. Detroit and LA may actually have parks that will help him survive the season. I'm still hopeful that the Reds can move a portion of that deal for the mid-season acquisition fund. Some team may be willing to take on some of his curent deal to avoid letting Stanton hit the market. I imagine the automatic 2009 guarantee after 71 appearances in 2008 is an impediment to a deal.

The thing about a guy like Stanton is that a lot of his former teammates are now populating coaching staffs around baseball. That may give him an in toward keeping his career alive. Yesterday, I had Dusty mentioning that Stanton was having issues personally saying "when it rains it pours" when discussing the DFA. Makes one wonder if Stanton may just walk away even if presented an opportunity at this point.
    Isn't Mike something like 50 appearances away from the most all time? (I seem to recall hearing that stat on broadcasts last season) Stanton could wind up like Orosco or Franco, bouncing around from team to team until he's 45

or not
    Never overlook the obvious

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    For example, I learned that I hated the Stanton signing from day one.
    shocking

I'll admit I was wrong about the Mark Bellhorn signing.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Celebrate we should. I was one that thought he might do well also, but it was a risk in hindsight. I mentioned the money only because it seems it (the multi-year contract, which makes it even harder to get rid of) happens so often with this regime.
    Stanton, Cromier and Freel....that qualifies as "happens so often"? Especially compared to the total number of player moves that have been made. 3?

I just got up from a nap, so maybe I'm foggy and have forgotten this laundry list of other players Wayne has offered ill-advised multi-year deals to (and subsequently had to eat).
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 03-29-2008 at 06:26 PM.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    And Coombs, but I hear he's a drunk now.
    Yes but he excels at that as well.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    Yes but he excels at that as well.
    None better.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Stanton, Cromier and Freel....that qualifies as "happens so often"? Especially compared to the total number of player moves that have been made. 3?

I just got up from a nap, so maybe I'm foggy and have forgotten this laundry list of other players Wayne has offered ill-advised multi-year deals to (and subsequently had to eat).
    Gonzo will probably end up as a not so great signing. Castro also got 2 years.

I think it is significant that the Reds are actually in a position now to feel as though they can let a guy like Stanton go. Previously, because they had no other options whatsoever to rely on, they would have to keep him. Now, at least they can look at the other pitching talent they have and make a decision to take the risk of cutting loose a guy who may actually have something left in the tank. Obviously, he has been a disappointment for the Reds, but I could see the possibility that he may go somewhere else and perform better. There is a chance that could happen and if it does, I will be happy for him- he is a stand up guy who took responsibility when he didn't pitch well.

But the Reds can let someone else take a chance on him now because they feel like they have other options in their BP who are better bets. This may not be earth shattering, division winning promise, but it's progress indeed to see the Reds willing to buy him out.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post

Thanks for always policing my posts. I really should have done better explaining or researching or whatever. This place has become the epitome of research, so hours of studying and prepartion should be in the board rules.

I was including the Narron extention and the Freel and Coffey extentions and maybe one other which I forget this early in the morning, but no matter. It does seem like we've DFA'd a lot of players over the last two years, but maybe that's not poor judgment, just taking a chance. My memory's not that good, but I can't ever remember that many in three years in my life, but my memory can't be trusted these days
    Last edited by WVRedsFan; 03-30-2008 at 09:14 AM.

Seems to me that the most significant thing about all this is the fact that KDawg had to admit the signing was a bust. No other way to cut a guaranteed contract than to just come out and admit it. Not to the general public, if you're still trying to make some kind of deal to get him out of here. But in house.

He had to admit it, for the good of the franchise. Not his own personal good, the good of the team.

I like it when people take responsibility.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Reds to buy out Stanton's contract
    Left-handed reliever to be released by club on Monday
    By Brittany Ghiroli / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Manager Dusty Baker wants to win now. Friday morning, Baker said the Reds plan on cutting veteran reliever Mike Stanton, costing the team $3 million this season, plus a $500,00 buyout option in 2009.

Although the official announcement won't be made until Opening Day, Baker said he spoke with Stanton early Friday morning to tell him of the decision.

On Saturday, Baker further delved into the Reds' conclusion regarding the left-hander.

"That was the probably the toughest one I've ever had to do," Baker said. "He just got back from a family emergency, and [you] find out you're out of a job."

Baker said Stanton was in a state of "shock" on Friday, but the Reds want to go with the best they can this season. Evidently, that doesn't include Stanton.

The reliever had a 1-3 record last season with a 5.93 ERA. He signed a two-year deal in 2007 and had a one-year option for 2009.

Stanton didn't do much to help his case in Spring Training, compiling a mediocre 4.50 ERA in six innings on the mound.

As of Saturday, the Reds have confirmed six of the seven bullpen spots. David Weathers, Jeremy Affeldt, Francisco Cordero, Todd Coffey, Kent Mercker and Jared Burton are all in. The final reliever could be announced following Saturday's game, as Baker hinted that more cuts were on the brink, but he wanted to speak with each player first.

With Cincinnati's decision to pay out Stanton's contractual obligations, the club has shown they believe the past seven losing seasons won't stretch to eight.

When asked what he liked most about the team coming out of Spring Training, Baker commended the mix of veteran and youth players.

"The guys are together," he said. "They want to win."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    1. Sorry to hear about Stanton's family emergency, but I think he'll get by on $3.5 Mil over the next two years without throwing a pitch. Plus, we can't rule out some other team getting desperate and picking him up. I think Stanton will be able to get by.

2. Really Mike? A shock? I understand you're a lefty, and lefties are held to lesser standards, but you were making a lot of money to do a job and you weren't doing your job. Now you're making a lot of money to not have a job. Sounds like great work, if you can get it.

In the last two years, we've seen the Reds show Cormier the door, and now Stanton, so I'm hoping we're turning the corner and this is a sign of better things to come. Should prove interesting to wait and see.

Turn Off Ads?