Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds to cut Stanton

Reds to cut Stanton

Reds to cut Stanton
    BY JOHN ERARDI | JERARDI@ENQUIRER.COM
    E-mail | Print | digg us! | del.icio.us! | Click-2-Listen

Reds manager Dusty Baker said this morning that the team has told reliever Mike Stanton that they are going let him go.

The move means the Reds will eat $3 million of Stanton's contract this season, and $500,000 next season.

Last season Stanton was 1-3 with a 5.93 ERA. He signed a two-year deal starting with the 2007 season, which included a one-year option for 2009.

Baker and Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky did not get into specifics, but Krivsky confirmed the news.

"We talked to Mike this morning," Krivsky said. "It was a very tough conversation."

Krivsky did not want to comment beyond that about the Stanton because the team has not officially made the announcement.

"Whatever Dusty told you is good enough for me. But nothing official has happened we don't have to do those kinds of things until Monday."
    Thank God. But this doesn't make any sense to why they sent Bray down. It doesn't matter to me right now though I'm pretty happy with this.
    Most Vottomatic Player

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds to cut Stanton

Kudos to Krivsky for acknowledging a mistake and correcting it. Makes me wonder if the rumored Freel for Edwin Jackson deal will come to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    this doesn't make any sense to why they sent Bray down.
    agreed, does this mean beslile is staying in the pen?

Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow

When I saw Bray was optioned to AAA, I was ready to kill/jump.

Now, me and my gun can come off the ledge - AND CELEBRATE!!!!!

I am giving Dusty HUGE HUGE props for this!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Mike Lincoln - welcome to the Big Leagues!!!

OR

Belisle stays in the pen to be the long relief - which will be needed becuase nobody else in the pen can go more than 2 innings.

I'd put my $$ on the former.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Well, I guess basically that frees up one spot on the 40 man for Patterson. But then, if Merker and/or Lincoln make the team, that's another spot or two that have to be created.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

According to the Report, "Dusty Baker said this morning that the team has told reliever Mike Stanton that they are going let him go." That statement, combined with this one from Krivsky, "Whatever Dusty told you is good enough for me. But nothing official has happened we don't have to do those kinds of things until Monday" suggests that he could still be traded.
    Usually being "let go" means released, but it could just mean that he won't be on the team. Either way, it's a smart move.

As Bleeds points out, this means that the Reds wanted a long reliever for the last spot, either Belisle if he is healthy or Lincoln if he is not. Which, given two rookies and Josh Fogg in the rotation, is a good idea.

Great move, I am very pleased and surprised.

This does give a spot for Belisle as long relief in the pen. Although I think Affeldt can do the same. Now the Reds have 2 long relievers who are effective in short term usage, but can also spot start and bail out the other starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Rounding Third View Post
    Great move, I am very pleased and surprised.

This does give a spot for Belisle as long relief in the pen. Although I think Affeldt can do the same. Now the Reds have 2 long relievers who are effective in short term usage, but can also spot start and bail out the other starters.
    It's probably better that the Reds have 2 long relievers with Cueto and Volquez in the rotation. Both are bound to have some bad outings.
    Most Vottomatic Player

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    It's probably better that the Reds have 2 long relievers with Cueto and Volquez in the rotation. Both are bound to have some bad outings.
    Yeah that exactly my though.

Don't forget Fogg either.

I'd like to say it's been a slice, but I won't. This will give him a lot of time to read all of those pages of the Mitchell Report, and find his name.

That is the best offseason move the Reds could make. They were smart in the move, because they tried to trade him. When they realized he had no value, they did the right thing and let him go.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

As an aside, why is everyone at ORG so high on Jim Brower? He's only had one game this spring where he DIDN'T give up a run!

DATE OPP IP H R ER BB SO
    2/27 at Pit 1.0 - - - - 1
    3/1 vs Pit 0.1 4 4 4 - -
    (3/8 Simulated, 25 pitches )
    3/13 vs Phi 1.2 1 1 - 1 2
    3/15 at Bos 1.0 3 2 2 - -
    3/23 vs TB 2.1 2 1 1 1 1
    Thu vs Min 1.0 2 1 1 - -
    Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks
    I'm convinced Jay Bruce could homer every single time up the rest of the spring and cure cancer in his spare time and still not make the team.

w00t!

This is great news, and it will help Bray come up sooner!

Turn Off Ads?