Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Hilarious Wily Mo Pena story from the Enquirer

Hilarious Wily Mo Pena story from the Enquirer

LANGUAGE LAUGHS

The language barrier in baseball can lead to some funny stories involving young players.

Juan Castro remembers his first year in big-league camp with the Los Angeles Dodgers. "My first time in Dodgertown," Castro said, "I came out and a group of guys from the Dominican were talking. I listened. I asked Henry Blanco, the catcher, what language they were speaking. He said, 'Spanish, man.' They talk very fast. You've got to get used to it."

A reporter was doing a survey with Wily Mo Pena. The question was "Who has the biggest ego in baseball?" Pena didn't know the word ego. The reporter tried to explain. "You know, who has the biggest head?" Pena didn't hesitate. "Aaron Harang." Harang is a very humble guy, though he does have a large head.

Former Red Jacob Cruz told the story of a Mexican player going to McDonald's. The player ordered fries. "Ketchup?" the counter girl asked. "No, I play first base," the player responded.

--John Fay

Here's the full article:

Players in a strange land
    Foreign-born Reds face extra challenges
    BY JOHN FAY / JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

Developing a prospect into a major-league player is difficult enough. When you enter a language barrier into the equation, it becomes much more difficult.

Players from the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Mexico and Venezuela make up a huge percentage of major league rosters. Nearly all of the players from those countries sign as teen-agers. Most speak no English when they are signed.

Juan Castro, who speaks flawless English now, spoke none when he attended his first spring training in 1991.

"It was very hard," Castro said. "I remember I didn't speak any English at all. I felt like I was deaf. I honestly wanted to go back to Mexico. I didn't understand anybody. I've got coaches coming to tell me things. I didn't know what to do. That was one of the things that inspired me to learn the language faster."

Edwin Encarnacion, a native of the Dominican Republic, had the advantage of going to high school in Puerto Rico, where he took English classes.

But he was far from fluent when he was sent to Port Charlotte, Fla., as a 17-year-old in 2000 to play for the Texas Rangers' Gulf Coast League team.

"I spoke a little bit," he said. "But it's hard when you don't know English. You don't understand when you've got meetings what they say."

Encarnacion was more fluent than a lot of his teammates.

"I knew a little bit, a couple of sentences," he said. "When we'd go to a restaurant, I ordered for the Latin guys because I knew more English than the others."

Playing baseball is the easy part.

"When you go to the field, you don't have to speak the language, you have to play the game," Encarnacion said. "But when they give the play or sign, it's hard to understand. You don't know what they try to tell you."

New closer Francisco Cordero, 32, took Latin players, particularly young pitchers (and fellow Dominicans) Johnny Cueto and Edinson Volquez, under his wing this spring.

"He's very good with the young Latins," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "He knows what's going on."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...PT04/303280120

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hilarious Wily Mo Pena commend from the Enquirer

Just further proof that Wily Mo ROCKS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Re: Hilarious Wily Mo Pena story from the Enquirer

Maybe a better translator could've convinced Wily Mo to write some more option years into his contract.

Re: Hilarious Wily Mo Pena story from the Enquirer

I remember watching an NFL pre- or post- game show in the early 1970's and an announcer was interviewing one of the first Mexican born soccer-style kickers, maybe Efren Herrera.

The announcer asked, "With the popularity if soccer in your country, why did you decide to try football?"

In very halting and broken English, the kicker replied, "I...like...tackle."

And the announcer responded, "Yeh, I like tacos, too, but why did you choose football?"
    Last edited by Spitball; 03-29-2008 at 09:08 AM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Turn Off Ads?