Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Janish still awaiting more playing time

Janish still awaiting more playing time

Janish still awaiting more playing time
    Listen to this article or download audio file.Click-2-Listen

By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

Saturday, May 31, 2008

CINCINNATI — When the Reds played the Braves on Friday, May 30, it was the 15th game since shortstop Paul Janish was promoted from Class AAA Louisville, and, once again, he wasn't in the starting lineup.

So far, Janish has started just two games, although he has appeared in 12.

"I can't complain," said Janish, who said manager Dusty Baker just told him to be ready. "The last couple of weeks I've been sitting here in the big leagues. These guys are the real deal.

"Since I've been here, Jerry Hairston (Jr.) has been hot, so he's going to play."

Janish was called up to replace injured shortstop Jeff Keppinger, who was playing in place of injured Alex Gonzalez. Hairston was supposed to be a utility guy, but he entered Friday's game with a .345 batting average and a six-game hitting streak (12-for-28, .429), and had hits in 10 of his previous 12 starts (19-for-47, .404).

Janish will have to wait for a cool-down.

He is one of six former Dayton Dragons on the Reds roster, including outfielders Adam Dunn and Jay Bruce, first baseman Joey Votto, third baseman Edwin Encarnacion and pitcher Johnny Cueto.

"When you're in Class A, it's almost funny how little of an idea you have on what it takes to get here," Janish said. "You're just playing to play. I don't think you can realize what's happening until you get to this end of the spectrum.

"When you get here, you really appreciate it."

Everything's fine

Dunn wouldn't say what the family emergency that caused him to leave Thursday's game early, but he said everything was fine, and Baker said he didn't see any reason to keep him out of the lineup.

Hopper still hurting

Outfielder Norris Hopper — on the disabled list with an elbow injury — has been sent to extended spring training, although, "there's not much time left in extended," Baker said.

Usually, extended spring training — a few extra minor-leaguers plus rehabbing players — is shut down at the time of the annual free-agent draft, which is Thursday and Friday of next week.

The Reds had hoped Hopper would be ready to play by now, but, "if he's in the outfield, he has to be able to throw," Baker said.

Not a favorite

Someone asked Ken Griffey Jr. how he was doing in the fan All-Star voting, and Griffey said, "All you have to do is (tell the fans) to vote for their favorite Red, and I won't get it."

He smiled, then joked about all the trash thrown at him in various ballparks around the country — except in Seattle, where he began his Hall of Fame career.

"There, they throw money," Griffey said.

Quotes of the day

• A joking relief pitcher David Weathers to teammates on his way to a pregame stretch: "I've got to be honest with you. This team stretch really ruins my day."

• Ken Griffey Jr., to reporters after finding out rookie shortstop Janish is just 25 and rookie outfielder Bruce is 21: "The age is going down here. Well, I look younger than you."

On the farm

Six Sarasota Reds were voted to the Florida State All-Star game, all of them Dayton Dragons just last season: Third baseman Juan Francisco, shortstop Chris Valaika, outfielders Drew Stubbs and Chris Heisey and pitchers Ramon Geronimo and Jordan Smith.

Smith and Valaika will not be able to play in the game. Both have been promoted to Class AA Chattanooga.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...redsnotes.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Janish still awaiting more playing time

"Since I've been here, Jerry Hairston (Jr.) has been hot, so he's going to play."
    And there is your reason why.

Over the season (30 games) ....
    .345 BA
    .396 OB%
    .506 SLG%
    .902 OPS

last 7 games.....

.429 BA
    .469 OB%
    .500 SLG%
    .969 OPS

Janish who? :
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Janish should be starting at SS and Hairston should be the infield Freel, a start at each spot during the week, his bat might be hot at the moment but he is not good at all defensively at SS.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Janish should be starting at SS and Hairston should be the infield Freel, a start at each spot during the week, his bat might be hot at the moment but he is not good at all defensively at SS.
    We are going to have some problems when Keppinger comes back. Both Hairston and Keppinger seem to be good-hitting players who can play all over the field, but show some limitations defensively. It will be hard to find both of them enough playing time.

Griffey has to be a reporters dream with his quotes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Not as solid as Hairston has been playing. I'll take Hairston.

Janish might make it through the season since Gonzo and Kepp are on the DL; but he'll be the first sent back down once one of them returns.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?