Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Hairston, Brower, Cabrera Cut

Hairston, Brower, Cabrera Cut

Roster looks set as Fay says Ross will start on the DL

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hairston, Brower, Cabrera Cut

At the beginning of camp I would have given Mercker about a 5% chance of making the team. Releasing Stanton makes this roster so much more versatile.

Ryan Freel
    Juan Castro
    Scott Hatteberg
    Norris Hopper
    Paul Bako

Bench is weak! This is the part of the team that really concerns me. There is not a bat with some pop to put in late in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by cjs07484 View Post
    There is not a bat with some pop to put in late in a game.
    That bat will be here when Ross comes back. Then we have Valentin off the bench.

Also, the forty man is a concern.

Patterson takes the open spot from Capellan.
    Cueto takes Stanton's spot

3 more spots need to be opened up for Mercker, Bako, and Lincoln. Who gets taken off and they risk losing?

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    That bat will be here when Ross comes back. Then we have Valentin off the bench.
    I still feel like we need a RH bat with some pop off the bench. Hatteberg and Valentin from the left side will be nice options late in games, but Freel, Castro, and Hopper are not much of a threat.

got alil captain in u?

Cabrera hit well this spring. I thought he had an outside chance to make the club. He and hairston atleast provided alot of versatility. I agree that bench is not that strong with the stick from the right side. Castro early on will probably finish alot of games at shortstop because of keppingers lack of range. The question now is who plays against lefties in center field. I'd say probably freel with hopper off the bench.

I think Cabrera was road blocked since we still have Hatte. His defense other than at first was suspect and Kriv couldn't carry another just "corner type" infielder.

I agree with Freel being the platoon partner. He did everything he had to in spring training and seems to be an afterthought when it comes to center.

The other question mark comes when Gonzo comes back. Is that when Castro departs?

Ryan Freel
    Juan Castro
    Scott Hatteberg
    Norris Hopper
    Paul Bako

Bench is weak! This is the part of the team that really concerns me. There is not a bat with some pop to put in late in a game.
    Exactly on the rh bat needed. I thought Cabrera might make it for that reason alone.

The other question mark comes when Gonzo comes back. Is that when Castro departs?
    I would have thought that he would still be here, but with the Stanton move I would speculate that he may be gone.

Power off the bench if very over-rated. You want guys who can pitch hit, get on hits and get on base. Freel and Hopper have done well on that role in the past. The bench is as good as most teams. Remember it is a bench, full of players who are not good enough to be starters.

The bench will look much better when Ross comes back and much, much better when AGon moves Kepp to the bench (or just comes back).

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    much better when AGon moves Kepp to the bench (or just comes back).
    I personally would prefer the "just comes back" part.

Turn Off Ads?