Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Any open-wheel fans here?

Stat geek...and proud

Any open-wheel fans here?

The new era of Indy Racing begins tonight. After 12 long years, we've got unification! Go Marco.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Any open-wheel fans here?

Not a gearhead but do love watching open wheel racing. Much more exciting than stock car. Glad to see the reunification. Won't help the quality of racing initially, but should in the long run. I'll be pulling for Helio tonight and hopefully Danica to finish second. She's good for racing, but I love hearing her excuses when she doesn't win.

Fun race. I'm more a fan of road courses, but I love all motorsports and am glad to see the unification of the IRL and Champcar. Great stuff.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I've never been a huge fan of racing, but I've always preferred open wheel just to sit and watch. I can't tell you the names of the drivers or anything, but I will watch one on tv if it's open wheel. I do prefer the tracks that aren't ovals though. Going around in circles just doesn't do it for me. If there's a race on that's on one of those tracks, I'll watch it, but the ovals will just put me to sleep.

Great race, and I love the new car camera with the 360 degree views. The wheel-to-wheel racing was great.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Danica Patrick won yesterday's IRL race in Japan, becoming the first woman to ever win a major closed course automobile race.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Was this the first unified race? According to the scrolling positions at the top of the screen there was only 18 cars in the race. How many cars did they have before unification and where are they going to get the other 15 cars to fill the Indy 500 field?

Quote Originally Posted by Hollcat View Post
    Was this the first unified race? According to the scrolling positions at the top of the screen there was only 18 cars in the race. How many cars did they have before unification and where are they going to get the other 15 cars to fill the Indy 500 field?
    No, as part of the unified race agreement, 18 cars were racing at Long Beach to fulfill a sponsor agreement. The 18 cars were a part of the Champ Car series.

Indy has 39 entries (plus t-cars and garage space entries) for the 500. There will be bumping this year at 16th and Georgetown.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    As a moderator, I refuse to play "Caption the Picture".
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?