Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who will be the Opening Day starting first baseman?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Joey Votto

38 69.09%
  • Scott Hatteberg

17 30.91%

Thread: Who will be the Opening Day starting first baseman?

Who will be the Opening Day starting first baseman?

I have not done so well with my predictions lately(see my recent posts on Corey Patterson), but it is an interesting question. It looks like both Hatteberg and Votto will start on the 25 man roster, and Dusty has been ambigous enough about first base that it could be either one. So, who do you think will be starting at first base Opening Day? I think Dusty will eventually go with the youth of Votto in this case, as he seems to like Votto.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 03-29-2008 at 11:41 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who will be the Opening Day starting first baseman?

I would expect to see alot of Votto in the first couple weeks. The organization knows what they're going to get out of Hatteberg, but Votto remains a mystery. I think they'll want to see what he does, and use Hatteberg as the backup plan.

I think we'll see Votto on opening day, however, Hatteberg will be getting his playing time. I think Dusty will want to go with Votto seeing that hes a young player who has great talent and alot to bring to the table for the Redlegs. So I am hoping that Votto will be the opening day starter.

Voted for Hatteberg on the reality basis. OD in Cincy is sooooo big, and Dusty likes Vets. My heart wants Votto though.

My thoughts exactly, gedred, but I hope we are both wrong.

Dusty continues to speak highly of Votto.
    I believe if Votto wasnt going to be the everyday man then we would see him at Louisville. That would totally hurt us as a team as we are better with Votto/1st and Hatt/bench rather than Hatt/1st and no Votto.
    As far as the Vet thing, Dusty could have went with Affedlt/Shearn/or told WK to get some others into camp but he is taking Volquez/Cueto. I believe if it was Belilse in the mix with those two ,he would still took the rookies for rotation.
    He is sticking with EE instead of Freel.
    Yes Bruce could of been here and I would have loved that move. However he didnt exactly force Dusty into that situation by not having a super ST.( I dont think he hit 300 for ST but not sure)

I think it will be Hatteberg. Dusty loves the vets, and especially with the spring Votto had, I don't see him breaking into the Opening Day lineup. His time will come though.

Fay shows the final roster and lists Votto as in the starting lineup, but I don't know if that's from what Dusty has said or if he is just guessing.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

I can't imagine they would keep Votto up to have him ride the bench and start every once in a while. If he's here he's playing.

I think with a tough pitcher like Webb going for Arizona, Dusty will go with Hatte.

Quote Originally Posted by jpurdy974 View Post
    I think with a tough pitcher like Webb going for Arizona, Dusty will go with Hatte.
    It really is a toss up, but I think because Hatte is batting .182 against Webb in eleven at bats, that Baker will go with Votto.

Votto can't "earn" playing time without playing.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

I'll give Votto starting and the chance it will rain the same percentage.

Well its Hatteberg.

I wonder who I should vote for though...

Turn Off Ads?