Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My family calls it the High Holy Day - Borgman cartoon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My family calls it the High Holy Day - Borgman cartoon

“In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Re: My family calls it the High Holy Day - Borgman cartoon

I believe in the church of baseball.

When I was a kid I could barely sleep the night before. I'm ate up with it, as they say.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

I as you consider this a national holiday....I have invested in $$$$ worth of electronic gear and have taken the day off year after year to at least watch the game on TV.

I would however, appreciate it if you could remove the term "holy day" from your title RMetz.

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    I as you consider this a national holiday....I have invested in $$$$ worth of electronic gear and have taken the day off year after year to at least watch the game on TV.

I would however, appreciate it if you could remove the term "holy day" from your title RMetz.
    No offense, but that's what we call it and it goes along with the theme of Borgman's cartoon.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Bookstore

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    No offense, but that's what we call it and it goes along with the theme of Borgman's cartoon.
    But it is offensive....holy days have more meaning to some of us than baseball ever could. I have no right to interfere with what you call it in your family, but this is a public board and the rules do not allow for religious references.

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    But it is offensive....holy days have more meaning to some of us than baseball ever could. I have no right to interfere with what you call it in your family, but this is a public board and the rules do not allow for religious references.
    As a lifelong Catholic, I'm well aware of what a holy day is. I believe we're not permitted to enter into discussions of religion, but that doesn't mean we can't make an allusion to something like that. I think God's not too worried about a little humor.

The Baseball Bookstore

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    As a lifelong Catholic, I'm well aware of what a holy day is. I believe we're not permitted to enter into discussions of religion, but that doesn't mean we can't make an allusion to something like that. I think God's not too worried about a little humor.
    I apologize Redsmetz, I didn't realize you were catholic.

I went to grade school in Delhi, where teachers would wheel a TV into the room for those kids who didn't take the day off. If a teacher wouldn't do that, she could pretty much be assured that half of us would have a transistor radio in our pockets with the cord for the ear piece running down our sleeves. In 1975, I spent entire classes leaning my head on my right hand during day games.

Unfortunately, I am afraid that part of baseball culture is gone. MLB cares more about fantasy players and prime time ratings than about making sure that the next generation of kids can see or hear the games. It's a shame.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I went to grade school in Delhi, where teachers would wheel a TV into the room for those kids who didn't take the day off. If a teacher wouldn't do that, she could pretty much be assured that half of us would have a transistor radio in our pockets with the cord for the ear piece running down our sleeves. In 1975, I spent entire classes leaning my head on my right hand during day games.

Unfortunately, I am afraid that part of baseball culture is gone. MLB cares more about fantasy players and prime time ratings than about making sure that the next generation of kids can see or hear the games. It's a shame.
    Actually, it's probably EASIER for kids now to follow day games than it was back in 1975. With internet on cell phones, etc. it's probably pretty simple if they really wanted to follow along. But there's the rub.

Does a middle shcool kid really care about the Reds thesedays? They certainly care about the NFL and some other sports, but there is certainly a widening gap for the interest of kids and baseball. Just looking at the declining numbers of African-American ballplayers at all levels points to a certain "crisis" within American Youth Baseball.

People say that MLB is still going strong with good attendance, ratings, etc. but I think those numbers are skewed.

Baseball is still BIG TIME in the long-time baseball areas (Cincy, NYC, Chicago, etc.) baseball will always remain strong in those areas and in many cases, will remain the #1 sport.

However, the "in between" spots have really deteriorated in terms of MLB interest.

I live in OKC, and until the Sonics get here (very strong interest in the NBA here), we have no pro teams. Yet, the NFL is HUGE here, and people obviously love college football and basketball. The NBA as I mentioned is also quite popular. But I can tell you that I may be the only person in the state today excited about opening day. I'd say many really good sports fans don't even realize that today is opening day.

MLB is still very strong in places where it has a traditional foothold, but I think it's really lost the interest in many pockets around the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    Actually, it's probably EASIER for kids now to follow day games than it was back in 1975. With internet on cell phones, etc. it's probably pretty simple if they really wanted to follow along. But there's the rub.
    I didn't have to subscribe to anything to follow the Reds when I was twelve. Sure, following them is easy now, but with our family income back then, there is no way my parents would have sprung to foot the bill if it were the same as today. Perhaps I should have made that point more clear; MLB (and other sports) are no longer allowing access to their product like they did when I was a kid. It's for people who want to (and can) pony up the cash to pay for the content. And for a business with an anti trust exemption, that just doesn't seem right to me.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Isn't the NCAA finals usually on opening Monday? Looks like that tournament is a whole week later.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Isn't the NCAA finals usually on opening Monday? Looks like that tournament is a whole week later.
    I think they pushed Opening Day up, actually. March 31 is extremely early for baseball.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I think they pushed Opening Day up, actually. March 31 is extremely early for baseball.
    Not in the past 10 years it's not

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Not in the past 10 years it's not
    ? Only once in the past 10 years (2003) has Opening Day been in March.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    ? Only once in the past 10 years (2003) has Opening Day been in March.
    Maybe if you consider opening day to only be the Reds.

I however don't, so thus there are few more March dates in there.

Turn Off Ads?