Turn Off Ads?

Thread: When did we lose Opening Day?

When did we lose Opening Day?

Times were, the Reds were the first team each season to have an Opening Day. When did we lose that? I can guess why (dollars override respect for history) but I can't remember when.
    That Joey Votto is some kind of Man Candy!

"For them to boo me like that, it lets me know they dream about me at night. -- Brandon Phillips on Cards fans.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: When did we lose Opening Day?

I think I read in the ORG that the last time the Reds opened the season was in 1994.
    Most Vottomatic Player

It's a shame. I loved having that first ever game of the season.

"For them to boo me like that, it lets me know they dream about me at night. -- Brandon Phillips on Cards fans.

after that we had the national league opener for a bit, but we've lost that as well....
    3-2 at games this year
    5-9 all time

2010 central division champions

throws 106. NBD.

Reds should definitely have the season opener every year. At the very least, it shouldn't be in another country.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgervilleBuck View Post
    Times were, the Reds were the first team each season to have an Opening Day. When did we lose that? I can guess why (dollars override respect for history) but I can't remember when.
    Dollars can override baseball starting on this continent.

We lost it within 2 years of Selig becoming commissioner. Make of that what you will.

We lost it when Harrang gave up two homers yesterday! Just kidding...
    "Rounding Third and Heading for Home"

No one cares about tradition anymore, it's all about money. IMO history and tradition are what makes this the greatest sport of all, selig and co. would do well to remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by Grounds_Crew View Post
    We lost it when Harrang gave up two homers yesterday! Just kidding...
    When I read the thread title, this was the type of comment I was hoping to read. Was the Harang homers the reason they lost?

Quote Originally Posted by Oxblood View Post
    No one cares about tradition anymore, it's all about money. IMO history and tradition are what makes this the greatest sport of all, selig and co. would do well to remember that.
    I'm in complete and utter agreement here. Very few sports respect their history.

Quote Originally Posted by RSNtransplant View Post
    When I read the thread title, this was the type of comment I was hoping to read. Was the Harang homers the reason they lost?
    The reason they lost is that Brandon Webb has a heck of a sinker...he's not the '06 Cy Young and '07 Runner up for no reason...

While Harang's HR's didn't help things, overall I don't think he looked that bad...

Burton's HR was a killer though...right when we were getting to the solid part of the bullpen (i.e. Burton-Weathers-Cordero), I kinda figured we would be pretty well off...

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle55 View Post
    The reason they lost is that Brandon Webb has a heck of a sinker...he's not the '06 Cy Young and '07 Runner up for no reason...
    So it was a good loss, if there is such a thing. They aren't going to win 162, so they better win the ones they are supposed to win and it sounds like most teams would have lost to Webb. Heading to tonights game in a few minutes, hopefully the discussion can turn to why they won.

Turn Off Ads?