Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bullpen woes...

Bullpen woes...

And they aren't ours for once...Wood AND Gagne have given up 3 each in the 9th inning...if we could just solve that pesky little "have the lead going into the 9th inning" thing, we'll be in good shape...

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bullpen woes...

The cubs have a real answer in Marmol(the Brewers do not) ... he'll be the closer by the end of April.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    The cubs have a real answer in Marmol(the Brewers do not) ... he'll be the closer by the end of April.
    People in Chicago don't want Marmol as the closer because he is "too good at throwing multiple innings."

My respone: just throw him multiple innings at the end of games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I wonder which will end up being worse: Wood as the closer, or Dempster as a starter.
    I am betting on the latter.

Bullpen woes... are most likely to hang around GABP for the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    My guess is not so much...moments of frustration but not the unending debacles of last year. My own guess is we'll be surprised by our pitching and frustrated by our offense this season.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    People in Chicago don't want Marmol as the closer because he is "too good at throwing multiple innings."

My respone: just throw him multiple innings at the end of games.
    I wish the Reds had Marmol. Or Wood. Or Howry. Or Wuertz. Or Hart. Or Lieber. I don't realy think the Cubs have bullpen woes. (The Brewers do though).
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I agree the bullpen is a huge question mark, outside of Cordero.

I'm glad that Maj is in AAA and Stanton is gone.

The question is whether we can scrape up two or three reliable arms after Cordero.. I'm hoping Coffey comes back, Burton is good, and one of the veterans is acceptable. At least that's a plausible scenerio.. Last season, I had a hard time coming up with a scenerio where the pen would not be a liablity.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I wish the Reds had Marmol. Or Wood. Or Howry. Or Wuertz. Or Hart. Or Lieber. I don't realy think the Cubs have bullpen woes. (The Brewers do though).
    Sincere question: Does Marmol or Wood have a "closer's mentality"??...it's why (even though we 'hated' it) Weathers was competant even though his "stuff" is substandard by comparison...what Smoltz and Eckersly did (becoming an elite closer after starting) isn't as easy as it appears IMHO and I'm interested to see the transition for Wood...not that he won't be great, but it will be interesting...

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

I've never, ever understood the lack of respect for David Weathers. He is certainly far from flashy but he gets the job done more often than not. He will take care of the 8th inning this year.

I'm somewhat optimistic about Todd Coffey coming into the season. I've never been a big fan of his, but I just get the feeling he's going to perform well this season.

I think Jeremy Affeldt will be fine. At the time of his signing, pretty much everybody said if he's used in the bullpen rather than in the rotation, this could be a very good signing. Well....where did that sentiment go? The bell has run on the season and I think he'll be just fine.

Kent Mercker....we'll see, but I'm willing to give him a chance.

Every year there seems to be someone (or someones) that you just have a feeling won't last long in the bullpen, and this year that role is probably filled by Mike Lincoln. He might surprise and I hope he does, but he is the one I'm least confident in.

This bullpen won't be the best in the league, but I'd be absolutely shocked if the ineptitude continues.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

since of the ones that popped on the search, here is where i'll post.

fun with Jeremy Affeldt:
    Code:
    Age	ERA	IP	K/BB	BB/9	K/9	H/9	HR/9	WHIP	OBA	SLG	OPS	BABIP
    35	4.95	76.1	1.53	3.77	5.78	10.73	0.71	1.61	1.61	371	465	321
    36	5.26	49.2	1.34	5.26	7.07	10.15	0.54	1.71	1.71	366	386	325
    37	6.20	97.1	1.38	4.69	5.00	9.96	1.20	1.61	1.61	359	435	267
    38	3.51	59	1.39	5.03	7.02	7.17	0.46	1.36	1.36	332	375	251
    what the hell is wrong with you to have a 267 BABIP and still end with a 6.20 ERA?!
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Whose numbers are those since Affeldt is 28 yrs old?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Whose numbers are those since Affeldt is 28 yrs old?
    The stats are correct, though. The guy just hasn't been a good pitcher. Not unlike any number of guys we have in the bullpen. The starters are our strength, not counting Josh Fogg.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Burton looked good tonight. Cordero, Burton and Weathers are a pretty good threesome and if the rest of the bullpen falters, look for reinforcements in the names of Bray, Roenicke and Fisher later on this summer. I think the bullpen will be OK.

Burton looked amazing tonight. I think you have to seriously consider him as the 8th inning guy. He was great in that role last year. Weathers may be better in the 7th. I'd actually like to see more of Mercker and Lincoln. They've only pitched twice, but I thought both looked pretty sharp. I think Affeldt is a decent option for a long relief kind of role. The pen is not great, but what's most important is that Dusty figures out who to utilize and where. That will make a big difference.

I wonder what happens when Belisle is healthy? Anyone think they'd push Fogg out and slot Belisle in instead?

Turn Off Ads?