Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Wildcat, Bill Keightly passes away

Mr. Wildcat Bill Keightly dies going to Reds game

Please pray for his family tonight.

He fell getting of a bus going to the game today and suffered internal injuries.

The Wildcat and Reds family lost a great one today

2. Turn Off Ads?

Mr. Wildcat, Bill Keightly passes away

On the day we honored Nuxie, we lose another legend as UK's equipment manager for the past 47 years fell off a bus at GAB and passed away during surgery.

An absolute tragedy for UK fans. Just incredibly sad.

http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/17170861.html

Re: Mr. Wildcat, Bill Keightly passes away

OH NO!!!!!!!!

Oh no

Re: Mr. Wildcat Bill Keightly dies going to Reds game

Here is a link: http://www.kentucky.com/254/story/362648.html

So sad to hear.

part of BBN

Just seen it on the UK board as well.
    Sad !
    Thoughts and prayers with the family !

I always said that Mr. Keightley could sell his memoirs and make a ton of money. I wouldn't care if it was $200, I would buy it. The man has seen more games than anyone associated with the program and to pick his brain, especially on this season, would certainly have been interesting.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family of Mr. Wildcat.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I always said that Mr. Keightley could sell his memoirs and make a ton of money. I wouldn't care if it was $200, I would buy it. The man has seen more games than anyone associated with the program and to pick his brain, especially on this season, would certainly have been interesting.

They are now reporting that it wasn't a fall, but that he began bleeding from an un-diagnosed tumor on his spine while at the Reds game. Doctors at University Hospital in Cincy were unable to stop the internal bleeding.

Gillispie comments:

"This is one of the saddest days of my life," head coach Billy Gillispie said from Cincinnati Monday night. "I commented earlier today that at the age of 81, he's become one of my very best friends, and the person I was talking to said 'that's what makes him so great, because everyone feels he's their best friend'." And that's because he was so genuine and so caring about others.

"He influenced each of us on a daily basis, and he was a great example of someone who loved his University more than anything. Obviously, he's in a better place, but the void he leaves for all of us, and especially his family, is going to be a difficult situation. Our hearts go out to his family and the millions of Wildcats fans who he loved so much."

I'm a U of L fan, but I'll give my condolenses to the UK fanbase. It is always horrible when an icon passes away.

Through coaching changes, probation, and national championships in my lifetime, Bill Keightley has been the one thing unchanged through it all. I sure am going to miss seeing him at that familiar spot on the bench.

Very sad day for all of us that are UK fans. He spanned the ages from Rupp to Gillispie. I have never heard a bad thing said about him and that is the ultimate tribute to any person. Very similar to Joe Nuxhall in that respect. Also very ironic that he would die on the day that the Reds were honoring Nuxhall. I feel like I have lost two grandfathers in the past few months even though I never met either one. Mr. Keightley has been on the bench all my days as UK fan and it's not going to be the same not seeing him over there come next season. RIP Mr. Keightley.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

Same here. I had wondered the last few years if he would ever do some type of book. I know he would never do a tell all book but he could have told some great stories from seasons past.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Rest in peace, Mr. Keightly. A true gentleman, a real Reds fan, and a man who saw 57% of the mens basketball games played in the history of the University of Kentucky from the best seat in the house.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I am utterly speechless right now. This one hits me much harder than even Nuxie did.

Wow.

wow. I've got no words.

You will be missed, Mr. Keightly.

Turn Off Ads?