Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Overall thoughts after opening day?

Overall thoughts after opening day?

I don't know how many people actually saw the game, be it in person or on TV. The radio and gameday are good sources, but they don't paint a clear picture of how the game was played exactly.

My overall feeling after today was not a good one. I've wanted to be optimistic about this team. I'm also fully aware that this is 1 game and the very first 1 at that. However, the team just looked completely out of synch. Offensively and defensively, almost every player looked lost.

I know it's only 1 game into the season and it's hard to be too critical, but the Dbacks looked a LOT more sound than the Reds did. Am I alone here?

While not a stellar outing, I actually did think Harang pitched pretty well. He did have that one bad outing, but the EdE error and that 1 bad inning kind of killed him. Still had a quality start though.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Overall thoughts after opening day?

The Royals beat the Tigers. The Pirates beat the Braves. That should put it in better perspective. The offense looked lost against Brandon Webb. It's not the first offense that's gonna look that way against Webb. Harang pitched well, outside of one pitch that Burton grooved the bullpen did their job. I wasn't impressed but I'm not dismayed either. Tomorrow the Reds beat Haren.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post

My overall feeling after today was not a good one. I've wanted to be optimistic about this team. I'm also fully aware that this is 1 game and the very first 1 at that. However, the team just looked completely out of synch. Offensively and defensively, almost every player looked lost. the Dbacks looked a LOT more sound than the Reds did.

I think Brandon Webb had a whole lot to do with that.

It's a long season, don't sweat over one game.

I'm really not sweating the fact that it's 1 game and the 1st game of the season, no less. And I should also reiterate that it was not just the offense. I thought defensively, especially the infield, they looked completely lost and out of synch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I think Brandon Webb had a whole lot to do with that.

It's a long season, don't sweat over one game.
    From where I was sitting way up in section 531 out the 1st base line, it was hard to figure where both pitchers pitches were (not to mention the odd way the plate umpire called strikes - he'd sort of point flat handed towards the pitcher, then do the thumb for a strike; it was disorienting). I talked to my son who watched the game on TV and he said he thought Harang was getting squeezed early in the game, but was getting the corners later. He said Webb looked very good. Our batters looked listless; both Griffey and Keppinger (and maybe Hatteberg) all had hopeless soft swings on some of his stuff. Burton, except for the one pitch, looked good overall. Again, my son said the home run pitch looked like it's movement was sideways, not up and down, on that pitch.

Patterson made some good reads and catches on pitches going back, but I thought he was weak on the running in on the ball that the first runner scored on. Seemed to be no effort, IMO.

I agree, it's just one game. Ya win some, ya lose some. Let's go to Game #2.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Oh, one more thing, and not on the field of play: Everyone wearing #41 and Nuxhall on the back of their jersey was very cool.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Bookstore

Edwin is lost at the plate, I know it takes him a month to get it together.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Edwin is lost at the plate, I know it takes him a month to get it together.
    Huh? Thom and Jeff spent probably five minutes at one point on how good Edwin looked at the plate today and how he seemingly "turned it on" overnight.

There's nothing "lost" about drawing a pair of walks, especially with the pitching the DBacks threw at the Reds yesterday.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Huh? Thom and Jeff spent probably five minutes at one point on how good Edwin looked at the plate today and how he seemingly "turned it on" overnight.

There's nothing "lost" about drawing a pair of walks, especially with the pitching the DBacks threw at the Reds yesterday.
    To be fair they went into the speech after EE's first at bat. They also talked about how 3 run leads, even against pitchers the quality of Webb, are child's play for the Reds as there is no way such a lead could hold up with such a potent offense.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    To be fair they went into the speech after EE's first at bat. They also talked about how 3 run leads, even against pitchers the quality of Webb, are child's play for the Reds as there is no way such a lead could hold up with such a potent offense.
    That is not what they said. They said the offense has shown itself to be capable against any pitching and that the lead was not insurmountable, even against the best in the game like Webb.

Yea, it didn't happen yesterday, as you "analyze" from hindsight. Of course, anyone who has watched/listened to a lot of games knew they were trying to keep their audience in the game, which is a part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I don't know how many people actually saw the game, be it in person or on TV. The radio and gameday are good sources, but they don't paint a clear picture of how the game was played exactly.

My overall feeling after today was not a good one. I've wanted to be optimistic about this team. I'm also fully aware that this is 1 game and the very first 1 at that. However, the team just looked completely out of synch. Offensively and defensively, almost every player looked lost.

I know it's only 1 game into the season and it's hard to be too critical, but the Dbacks looked a LOT more sound than the Reds did. Am I alone here?

While not a stellar outing, I actually did think Harang pitched pretty well. He did have that one bad outing, but the EdE error and that 1 bad inning kind of killed him. Still had a quality start though.
    A lot of teams come out of combat with Brandon Webb looking disoriented. I was happy to see us battle back after falling behind 3-0. And as someone else has already mentioned, Harang was clearly getting squeezed by the umpire.

I think what we see is what we get with the offense. They'll score some runs against mediocre pitching, but they're going to struggle against good pitching.

On to Wednesday night, not sure how Haren pitched this spring, but if Arroyo continues to pitch they way he's been pitching, could be a long night for the young D-backs.

An added thought - that second baseman for the Diamondbacks - he made two spectacular plays that held us in check. The one deep in the hole behind the bag and throwing off balance was unbelievable. He ended up in the middle of left field from his momentum. I thought that was an infield base hit all the way. I think he did the same thing against Harang and somehow Harang just beat it out.

The Baseball Bookstore

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I also was at the game way (way down the LF line in section 411), and also came away with a few off-the-top-of-my-head impressions: Orlando Hudson is crazy good, the D-Backs defense in general looked very good, the Reds still do not appear to play consistently good fundamental ball, and Corey Patterson looked excellent in CF. I think he got to 3 balls yesterday that would have fallen in last year.

At the plate, my initial impression of Patterson was not good- I think he swung at ball four on the very first AB of the year, producing a soft ground out instead of a walk. Bat Corey 7th instead of leadoff, and he's a guy I can live with.

Don't judge this team by its reaction to Brandon Webb. He's got one of the nastiest sinkers in the history of the game, and he was on yesterday.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

If you recall the offense was cold to begin last season as well.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Turn Off Ads?