Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Farting Against the Law?

Farting Against the Law?

Student arrested for 'passing gas' at Fla. school

Nov 24 08:12 PM US/Eastern

STUART, Fla. (AP) - A student at a Florida school has been arrested after authorities said he was "passing gas" and turned off his classmates' computers. According to a report released Friday by the Martin County Sheriff's Office, the 13-year-old boy "continually disrupted his classroom environment" by intentionally breaking wind. He then shut off some computers other students were using.

The Spectrum Junior-Senior High School was arrested Nov. 4.

A school resource officer placed the boy under arrest after he confessed about his behavior, according to the report. He was charged with disruption of school function and released to his mother.

___

OK. Now I know we've lost it. Call the kid to the principal's office. Give him detention. Send him home for the day. But place him under arrest? Am I just old and out of touch or does this seem ridiculous?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: Farting Against the Law?

I should've gotten the death penalty in high school then

That seems a bit unecessary to me. The kid was thirteen and he didn't really break any true laws, farting is not illegal as I understand it, but it could violate the code of conduct at the high school so he could be suspended but arrested? C'mon. That's crossing a line.

Sounds like something that might be detention worthy, but closer to just sending him into the hall.

I have students I wish would get arrested. To bad the rest of the world isn't as dumb as this place.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenk29 View Post
    I have students I wish would get arrested. To bad the rest of the world isn't as dumb as this place.
    But do you want them arrested because they can fart on command, or because they have much less desirable qualities than farting? (This sounds funny if you read it, but I am trying to be serious)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Student arrested for 'passing gas' at Fla. school

Nov 24 08:12 PM US/Eastern

STUART, Fla. (AP) - A student at a Florida school has been arrested after authorities said he was "passing gas" and turned off his classmates' computers. According to a report released Friday by the Martin County Sheriff's Office, the 13-year-old boy "continually disrupted his classroom environment" by intentionally breaking wind. He then shut off some computers other students were using.

The Spectrum Junior-Senior High School was arrested Nov. 4.

A school resource officer placed the boy under arrest after he confessed about his behavior, according to the report. He was charged with disruption of school function and released to his mother.
    His gas turned off the computers!!??!! Holy crap!

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    His gas turned off the computers!!??!! Holy crap!
    Literally, that's what the article says. I'd fire that editor, personally.

There goes my hobby.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    There goes my hobby.
    Does this somehow tie into the "7 most annoying people at Thanksgiving" thread, GAC?

It's not necessarily the passing gas that is the problem, but rather the general course of conduct indicating the intention to disrupt class. People get charged with Disorderly Conduct for all kinds of odd behavior. It's not the behavior itself that's the problem, it's the intent behind it.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Does this somehow tie into the "7 most annoying people at Thanksgiving" thread, GAC?

The Greeks break dishes. I break gas. It's a complimentary gesture saying that was one great meal.

And besides.... wouldn't this be a 1st Amendment issue?
    Last edited by GAC; 11-27-2008 at 05:01 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

High five!

The Greeks break dishes. I break gas. It's a complimentary gesture saying that was one great meal.

And besides.... wouldn't this be a 1st Amendment issue?
    It could be.

It could also violate the Geneva Convention(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Emin3mShady07 View Post
    But do you want them arrested because they can fart on command, or because they have much less desirable qualities than farting? (This sounds funny if you read it, but I am trying to be serious)
    the latter.
    :
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

There goes my hobby.
    Dads are exempt from prosecution on this one.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?